New Zealand swarm dates for season 2016/17

@tomd As a rule you don't feed swarms. They have left home full of honey and are ready to set themselves up in their new home as soon as they find one. They will draw wax flat out and use up what they were carrying - this means that if they were carrying AFB-infected honey it will be used up and not fed to brood.
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On monday I got a text to say there was a large swarm in a hobby beek's garden - they said it came from their hive. But when I turned up it was very small, about the size of two rugby balls. With help from another hobbyist who was to have the swarm, we got it down from the tree easily, shaking it into a box. I used the water spray method, thanks to this Forum for that tip.

Before we caught the swarm, and with catching gear ready on the ground, the afforementioned beek wanted payment for the swarm which was a rather awkward situation. Lesson learnt, always ask the owner of hives who reports a swarm if they want money before doing anything. I didn't need another hive but I'm happy to catch swarms for newbies for nothing (providing they are keeping the hive for themselves). I'd leave it to the new would be owners to decide whether and how much they're prepared to pay.

bee1.JPG.a632c6a8bb2073ffb4c44aa9e1cf2ea8.JPG

bee1.JPG.a632c6a8bb2073ffb4c44aa9e1cf2ea8.JPG

• Like 1
Before we caught the swarm, and with catching gear ready on the ground, the afforementioned beek wanted payment for the swarm which was a rather awkward situation.

I would have asked him how much he wanted then I would have doubled the $$'s and told him that was my collection fee for cleaning up his mess.

I had a call this morning

Caller: Hello. I have a problem with lots of wasps.

Me: Are you sure they are wasps, I think they will be bees swarming.

Caller: They are all over my camellia tree some of them are on the ground.

Me: When did they arrive.

Caller: Yesterday. There was a big lump of them on the camellia tree and flying all over my section. I tried to get rid of them and a lot of them are on the ground.

Me: How did you try to get rid of them.

Caller: I sprayed them with Roundup.

Me: (slightly agitated) Why would you try and kill insects with a Weedkiller.

Caller: I didn't know what else to do.

Me: Ok, where do you live, I will come around right now.

A little later:

Me: Knock on the door.

Caller: Hi, I am the silly person who sprayed the bees with roundup.

Me: OK, where are they, let me take a look.

On the way round to the back of the section.

Caller: I did something else to get rid of them also.

Me: Oh! what was that.

Caller: I tried to burn them out.

Me: How?

Caller: I sprayed them with petrol and then set fire to them.

Me: Stunned (expletives) Show me where they are.

I then looked at the bees under the camellia, 1000's of dying bees on the ground. About 2 cups of bees clustering in 2 clumps on the trunk of the camellia. about 100 bees flying agitated around the tree. The smell of petrol was still lingering in the air.

Almost crying by this stage, I put on a pair of gloves and crushed all the bees in the 2 clusters.

I returned home in a somewhat distressed state.

I hope this never happens to anyone else.

I had a call this morning

Caller: Hello. I have a problem with lots of wasps.

Me: Are you sure they are wasps, I think they will be bees swarming.

Caller: They are all over my camellia tree some of them are on the ground.

Me: When did they arrive.

Caller: Yesterday. There was a big lump of them on the camellia tree and flying all over my section. I tried to get rid of them and a lot of them are on the ground.

Me: How did you try to get rid of them.

Caller: I sprayed them with Roundup.

Me: (slightly agitated) Why would you try and kill insects with a Weedkiller.

Caller: I didn't know what else to do.

Me: Ok, where do you live, I will come around right now.

A little later:

Me: Knock on the door.

Caller: Hi, I am the silly person who sprayed the bees with roundup.

Me: OK, where are they, let me take a look.

On the way round to the back of the section.

Caller: I did something else to get rid of them also.

Me: Oh! what was that.

Caller: I tried to burn them out.

Me: How?

Caller: I sprayed them with petrol and then set fire to them.

Me: Stunned (expletives) Show me where they are.

I then looked at the bees under the camellia, 1000's of dying bees on the ground. About 2 cups of bees clustering in 2 clumps on the trunk of the camellia. about 100 bees flying agitated around the tree. The smell of petrol was still lingering in the air.

Almost crying by this stage, I put on a pair of gloves and crushed all the bees in the 2 clusters.

I returned home in a somewhat distressed state.

I hope this never happens to anyone else.

............speechless...........

Well let's look at this way Trev, it can be another chapter in the book.

Still it's quite unbelievable the ignorance that exists in the wider public regarding bees.

No Book from me. I am all modern now and do it on Facebook and Youtube. (y)

I is just as silly as the people who ring up about bees and you know it is wasps.

Home for less than hour. My son informs me that there is a swarm in the neighbors lemon tree....well yes there is, isn't there? Let's get that in a box(y)

[ATTACH=full]15174[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]15175[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]15176[/ATTACH]

Checked this swarm today and the queen is laying in the cells that have been drawn out.

Second swarm collected today And this one isn't from my hives haha

[ATTACH=full]15177[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]15178[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]15179[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]15180[/ATTACH]

Checked this swarm today and the queen is laying now.

• Like 1
Checked this swarm today and the queen is laying in the cells that have been drawn out.

Checked this swarm today and the queen is laying now.

So is mine. Marked the queen white and gave them a whiff of oxalic vapour

• Like 2
Picked up a nice one yesterday. Backed the ute up to the tree and stood on the deck to reach them. Spotted the queen marching into their new home... [ATTACH=full]15334[/ATTACH]

Very cool:). Nice shot of the queen