New Zealand swarm dates for season 2016/17

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice (y) Just took a call. Bees in a hollow tree. I know the tree. Impossible to access where the bees are. I'm going to tap a hole in up top and see if I can't smoke them back out the bottom. A strategically placed NUC box will offer them alternative accommodation.

• Like 2

5992eb818ef31_Nottobee.jpg.9df9e1467773d29725b968a067b8455c.jpg .

Lovely swarm sailed right passed me when I was at work today. Settled here, Northcote, Auckland. So my partner up a ladder and got them into a spare nuc box. Strapped the box to the tree, with the intention of taking them when I finished work at 7. But between 5.30-6.15pm someone came and took the box out of the tree, so no new bees for us. If anyones got them, you could at least return the box, has our phone number on the side. Much appreciated

5992eb818ef31_Nottobee.jpg.9df9e1467773d29725b968a067b8455c.jpg

• Like 1
[ATTACH=full]15216[/ATTACH] .

Lovely swarm sailed right passed me when I was at work today. Settled here, Northcote, Auckland. So my partner up a ladder and got them into a spare nuc box. Strapped the box to the tree, with the intention of taking them when I finished work at 7. But between 5.30-6.15pm someone came and took the box out of the tree, so no new bees for us. If anyones got them, you could at least return the box, has our phone number on the side. Much appreciated

That is totally and utterly disgraceful. I hope the swam absconds and they dont get another swarm this season.

Nice (y) Just took a call. Bees in a hollow tree. I know the tree. Impossible to access where the bees are. I'm going to tap a hole in up top and see if I can't smoke them back out the bottom. A strategically placed NUC box will offer them alternative accommodation.

My plan didn't work. The hollow inside the tree is simply too big. I'll go back today and seal up the tree. Might leave the nuc box in place for a few weeks. It's a bit small for a swarm trap but it's there and the tree is clearly attractive.

IMG_3170.JPG.a2ffdddf86f7cbcc7fd2e5dac17beafe.JPG Third one lucky! After getting my first swarm call out last week to a cluster deep inside a chimney brick cavity, then my second two days later to a swarm which had found a cozy home inside the wall lining of a pool gazebo, I finally got called to this beauty one metre off the ground! First of many for the season I hope.

IMG_3170.JPG.a2ffdddf86f7cbcc7fd2e5dac17beafe.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks @M4tt. In a related question, I only had a 3/4 box of frames and foundation, so hived them in that, with another empty 3/4 box on top. I want to open them up today and add frames to the top box, and then another empty box with a feeder above that. Is it unwise to disturb them this early? Will that increase the chances of absconding?

Thanks @M4tt. In a related question, I only had a 3/4 box of frames and foundation, so hived them in that, with another empty 3/4 box on top. I want to open them up today and add frames to the top box, and then another empty box with a feeder above that. Is it unwise to disturb them this early? Will that increase the chances of absconding?

There's no rush to go in there. I'd give them a good three days to settle in before you check them. Gives them time to draw wax and for the queen to start laying, if its a prime swarm, which it looks like it is.

So long as they are not hanging from the hive mat trying to build wax on there

Thanks @M4tt and @yesbut. Point taken on the fact that the frames should have been in the top box from the beginning (wasn't 100% ready for the swarm actually, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up. Hurriedly put the rest of the frames together last night). Ok, so I'll give them a few days, and maybe just sneak a peak at the hive mat to make sure they are not making a mess.

On the subject of feeding, my preference would actually not be to feed them, but I have read a lot about people encouraging feeding of a swarm. Again, maybe I'll leave it and see how they are going in a few days

• Like 1
Thanks @M4tt and @yesbut. Point taken on the fact that the frames should have been in the top box from the beginning (wasn't 100% ready for the swarm actually, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up. Hurriedly put the rest of the frames together last night). Ok, so I'll give them a few days, and maybe just sneak a peak at the hive mat to make sure they are not making a mess.

On the subject of feeding, my preference would actually not be to feed them, but I have read a lot about people encouraging feeding of a swarm. Again, maybe I'll leave it and see how they are going in a few days

Sorry @M4tt, I agree with @yesbut in this case. The bees will always go to the top and then build down. They will make a jolly mess in the hive. Lift the lid off carefully and slip the frames in.

My method would be to carefully lift the top box off with the hive mat in place. Then remove the lower box.

Now put the top box where the bottom box was (reverse the boxes).

Now carefully lift off the hive mat and insert the new frames into the bottom (I would do about 5 frames and leave a gap in the frames.

Now shake off all the bees into the new bottom box. Put the last 5 frames in the box and then put the other box on top. Scrape any comb off the hive mat before putting it onto the hive.

Work slowly as the bees will be all over the hive mat.

Do not feed the hive and do not put on a 3rd box until the first 2 boxes are drawn out.

• Like 2

Again, thanks for you advice guys. Ok, I'll try and pop the new frames as soon as weather permits. I'll take a peak in the top box, if there isn't much activity up there, I'll just slip the frames in, if there is a stack of bees on the lid, I'll try what @Trevor Gillbanks suggests

Just popped home, and there is plenty of orientation flights going on, so I guess that is a good sign!