Genaya

NZBF Buying Mite Away quick strips

Hi team, I'm wanting to do a MAQS treatment on my hive, looking to buy some online I can only see a pack of 25 on Ekrotec. I'm only a hobbyist so that amount seems a lot, especially as I want to rotate the treatment types. What is the shelf life of this product? Can anyone tell me if I can purchase less somewhere?

Thanks

Ecrotek also have 10 packs. It has a 12 month shelf life from packing. You do not need to rotate treatments if you use MAQS. Make sure you ask them what the expiry date is before you buy.

Have a look at my video

• Like 3

Hi @Genaya - I bought a 10-treatment pack of MAQS from Ecrotek a little while back for $86.87 + GST, however, you may be able to buy only what you need from your local beekeepers club. Formic acid doesn't degrade or expire, it is the outer paper wrap of the MAQS that starts to degrade post the 12-month expiration date. Ecrotek suggested I keep the MAQS in the freezer - it doesn't extend the expiration date, but it will keep the strips in a stable state for a short period of time. Hope that helps!

• Like 4

Ecrotek also have 10 packs. It has a 12 month shelf life from packing. You do not need to rotate treatments if you use MAQS. Make sure you ask them what the expiry date is before you buy.

Have a look at my video

[media]

[/media]

Thanks for that Trevor. Yes, I watched that clip this morning. Great info, thanks for your efforts!

Hi @Genaya - I bought a 10-treatment pack of MAQS from Ecrotek a little while back for $86.87 + GST, however, you may be able to buy only what you need from your local beekeepers club. Formic acid doesn't degrade or expire, it is the outer paper wrap of the MAQS that starts to degrade post the 12-month expiration date. Ecrotek suggested I keep the MAQS in the freezer - it doesn't extend the expiration date, but it will keep the strips in a stable state for a short period of time. Hope that helps!

Thanks @JayBee, I will look for the 10 pack now!

Boo! 10 pack out of stock!!

Comes from Canada so a while away from arriving...

Plan B? I guess I'll do a different treatment this time around.

Thanks for that Trevor. Yes, I watched that clip this morning. Great info, thanks for your efforts!

Thanks @JayBee, I will look for the 10 pack now!

Comes from Canada so a while away from arriving...

Plan B? I guess I'll do a different treatment this time around.

I wondered about that. I checked their web site and could not find the 10 packs. Do you have some friends you could share with.

Comes from Canada so a while away from arriving.

Darn. If you lived closer I would be happy to share mine with you!

I wondered about that. I checked their web site and could not find the 10 packs. Do you have some friends you could share with.

No, but I'll work something out. Cheers

Ring them on their 0800 number as they had a whole bunch of 10 packs that where just about to expire and I heard they where selling them off cheap, and as mentioned here as long as the paper hasn't broken down they should still be ok...

0800 11 77 66

No, but I'll work something out. Cheers

PM sent :)

• Like 1

Ring them on their 0800 number as they had a whole bunch of 10 packs that where just about to expire and I heard they where selling them off cheap, and as mentioned here as long as the paper hasn't broken down they should still be ok...

0800 11 77 66

I gave them a buzz, the expired ones are now too dodgy too send.

When are they expecting to have stock arriving from Canada of the 10 pk

They were giving away the soon to expire ten packs for free to those who attended the maqs road show around the country. But now it has gone past the expiry date any left can't be sent out regardless of the state of the wrap/whick around the gel pad.

Sounds like they had a couple of container loads that have been a bit of a pain in the backside. Kind of hard to blame them for not having more, if the majority of bk's were not willing to buy any of the first lot. Bringing in another container load might work out second time around or it might be throwing more good money away.

• Like 1

A MAQS road show? How did I miss that?!

A MAQS road show? How did I miss that?!

By invite to ecrotek customers who purchase varroa strips from them

Hey, I'm one of them! Maybe I don't buy enough ... :(

By invite to ecrotek customers who purchase varroa strips from them

presumably it is the ones that don't buy them, that would need them the most? ;)

When are they expecting to have stock arriving from Canada of the 10 pk

None have even been shipped yet! They were expecting 10 packs with last shipment and only got 25s!

Trevor I know you've trialled various methods to apply formic acid, why do you prefer MAQS?

Trevor I know you've trialled various methods to apply formic acid, why do you prefer MAQS?

No mess. Quick, efficient. easy to handle, Simple. cost is better than standard strips. I will still use OA sublimation but my main treatments from now on will be MAQS.

• Like 3

None have even been shipped yet! They were expecting 10 packs with last shipment and only got 25s!

Just find another person wanting them and go halves.

Just find another person wanting them and go halves.

Thanks, Yes have made contact with a local who is going to sell some to me.

Hey, anyone willing to sell me a small amount of Mite away quick strips? Not keen to get the big pack due to the short shelf life. Thanks

I've got two buckets of expired ones 100 treatments

I've got two buckets of expired ones 100 treatments

I thought they were either buckets of 10 treatments or buckets of 25 treatments.

I thought they were either buckets of 10 treatments or buckets of 25 treatments.

Perhaps it's very old stock?