Helen Beveridge

Slovenian beekeeping

Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge or experience of the Slovenian hive style? Also if you know how you would deal with afb in it - I. E. Burn the whole complex or just the bees and frames from the infected colony. I did see on the bee doco on tv last month the old guy just burnt that colony.

if you don't get rid of the AFB spores that are on the woodwork then the next colony will get infected.

@Helen Beveridge, I think @Goran can give you more info about that type of hive.

You will have to burn the infected hive unless you have a permit to sterilize the box(I think you are referring to the one tall box hive).

Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge or experience of the Slovenian hive style? Also if you know how you would deal with afb in it - I. E. Burn the whole complex or just the bees and frames from the infected colony. I did see on the bee doco on tv last month the old guy just burnt that colony.

It looked like each colony was contained in its own draw or cupboard. He took it seriously, so presumably burnt just what the bees had been in contact with