Proposal to new site owners.

Morena ,

So I'm keen to get out and do a bit of cold calling to small blocks,land owners to possibly place some hives...what benefits can I offer besides money or pollination...or is that pretty much it? Are there other benefits of having beehives that's good for them I may have missed?

How do u guys/gals approach them?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually offer them honey from their hives. People are more receptive if you take your kids with you as they like to know they're helping out a family, not some money hungry corporate raider

Bottom line .... that's why I'm doing it...support my tamariki,but what iv also found is a new interesting ,exciting hobby!

Thanks for that..

• Like 1
Morena ,

So I'm keen to get out and do a bit of cold calling to small blocks,land owners to possibly place some hives...what benefits can I offer besides money or pollination...or is that pretty much it? Are there other benefits of having beehives that's good for them I may have missed?

How do u guys/gals approach them?

I hate trying to "sell" things to people, just not me. I think it is best to approach people who you know or people who know someone you know, and then they can check you out through that person. I say basically this: "you can have as much honey as you like or can eat, or we can work out a financial return if you like". Building trust is a biggie, you've got to be totally honest and disclose the potential bad as well as the good. Don't pressure them - talk to them and leave them to it, call them in a week or two after. Let them know that you would get your bees off the site within a week if they wanted you off. Good luck :-)

How about, the lovely gooey warm feeling inside, that they are doing something to save the planet.

Lol Josh...usually get all tongued tied when I try those avenues in other circumstances..duno bout preaching bees/honey tho??!!

I hate trying to "sell" things to people, just not me. I think it is best to approach people who you know or people who know someone you know, and then they can check you out through that person. I say basically this: "you can have as much honey as you like or can eat, or we can work out a financial return if you like". Building trust is a biggie, you've got to be totally honest and disclose the potential bad as well as the good. Don't pressure them - talk to them and leave them to it, call them in a week or two after. Let them know that you would get your bees off the site within a week if they wanted you off. Good luck :)

Some good points in there Crabee...yea cold calling not my forte but in saying that,my last job I started doin it to expand my work area/customer base and I came up trumps in scoring 3 extra customers and selling 3 machines! ...hence continue on in this venture.

I am a member of a couple of voluntary organisations. Sometimes, during chats or over morning tea I'd mention I'm a hobby beekeeper, or give them a jar of honey. At a later date, two people offered their place or someone else's place for me to place hives - not that they're seeking payment but wouldn't say no to a jar or two of honey. As tempting as it may be, I've had to decline as the locations are too far - not cost effective.

So, Phil, perhaps within your circle of friends, work mates, etc etc, you could make the odd comment that you are a hobby beekeeper (I don't tell too many people I have hives) and see if anyone offers you a site.

Offer to give a talk at a local spot. Could be garden centre or rsa or community hall just whatever is easy. You may be surprised what turns up. It is bee aware month and you may also meet other bks and generate new members for bop bk group

Offer to give a talk at a local spot. Could be garden centre or rsa or community hall just whatever is easy. You may be surprised what turns up. It is bee aware month and you may also meet other bks and generate new members for bop bk group

Hi Chris

Maybe I could tag onto your offer...I am very interested in helping establish bee friendly gardens into junior/intermediate schools which will help to motivate students to think about the impact of pesticides, urban development on bee colonies. Once I have established a food source I would like to introduce a hive and here is where I require further assistance.

I'm not a bee keeper and so need to get some professional advice/assistance -I believe a successful bees in schools programme has been established at Hamilton Boys High so the idea is not new.

Would love to hear from anyone already involved in similar project who would be happy to share their expertise:)

Hi @Phil46!

One thing I can think of that might help. I expand outwards from farms that I am on. I work on the principal that most rural people know their neighbours, even far away ones, so name dropping works a treat. Saying you have hives on "The Brown's farm" down the road lets them feel at ease as you are known in the area instead of someone who no one knows at all. Chances are they know the Browns and might check with them as to your character before they agree to you. It might help you!

Hi Chris

Maybe I could tag onto your offer...I am very interested in helping establish bee friendly gardens into junior/intermediate schools which will help to motivate students to think about the impact of pesticides, urban development on bee colonies. Once I have established a food source I would like to introduce a hive and here is where I require further assistance.

I'm not a bee keeper and so need to get some professional advice/assistance -I believe a successful bees in schools programme has been established at Hamilton Boys High so the idea is not new.

Would love to hear from anyone already involved in similar project who would be happy to share their expertise:)

We have a hive in a community garden and have done a number of school visits with an observation hive. There is talk from a couple of schools to have one, but none here so far, they are at a preliminary stage. I understand it is somewhat standard in overseas steiner schools. I think the thing would be to search out bk's in your local area via local bee club. An approach to the bee club might be circulated by the club through the members / newsletter and might provide best match of interests.

Thnks for everyones input...you have helped me expand on my "cold call korero" to prospective hive sites/properties.

Im planning ahead for when the time comes and I can look after a number of hives by myself,safely and efficiently with the prospect of my kids/whanau/friends being able to enjoy and learn,if they choose,along the way.

I don't want to sound negative there are some really good ideas on here, but what ever you do please do not offer money for sites this will start something we can not undo, if you pay for a site that's not A high producing Manuka site, word will soon spread and in no time we will all be paying, which maybe fine for one or two hives but not all land owners will understand if its one hive or 40 in fact the more the better in some cases (equals more money), also the fee may start small but then it will get more and more, I know its getting difficult to find sites these days but unfortunately its the reality, there's just about to many hives around now. The other thing when looking for sites is find out where the nearest beekeeper is, quite often the land owner has no idea.

• Like 1
I don't want to sound negative there are some really good ideas on here, but what ever you do please do not offer money for sites this will start something we can not undo,

sorry but your way to late. some outfits have started paying for wintering and spring sites as well as honey sites.

know a few beeks who have been pushed into paying for any type of honey site.

its going stupid and its not going to end well for anyone.

But honestly we don't need more going on

I hear what your saying Tony..however what Ive come across and just recently too..i talked to a prospective land owner about putting some hives on their place. I informed them im only just starting out so would be prospecting on how the area will produce and what,if any,sort of return I would get...based on this can I place some hives for free basically.

They were guna think about it and get back to me....two weeks later,someone bigger,possibly commercial hives on there and paying for the site.

I liken it to how Iv found pig hunting these days,especially in well known areas like Kroa forest...I was taught you always release the sows and small pigs if caught and still in ok condition ,without too much dog damage...so that's what I use to do,now its like if you don't take it ,the next hunter who comes along will!! Another reason Iv taken a break from chasing pork around the countryside.

+

Who has a card of some sort they give out when prospecting areas?

I thought something like that may help:sneaky:...least then they probably wont forget you so easily!

• Like 2

Yes I can Understand where you are coming from and understand the frustration of finding sites, and yes it is the big boys and corporates offering money for sites. On the large part of it I feel is still wrong, its greed of the beekeeper, it should be a basic common sense thing, Find a site before you get bees or expand, what we have now is corporates expanding then realising they don't have sites so they need to pay to get them which in it self is ok but when its cutting out already existing sites then that's just low, Manuka bit different theres money involved. For example if i been on this one site for 10-15 years know, family know family gone and go to same schools etc, then you get some one from the other side of the country offer unreal money to the land owners, don't do anything for the community, it really is getting out of control. I Gets me that Other Beekeepers just come and do that to other beekeepers, just goes to show how bad it is, If they come into my area with there hives and unknown crew, they wont be well recived and when i find out who they are, they will be getting some unfriendly phone calls so i hope they don't mind that. the thing is I'm not that kind of person but apparently business is business.

To me this is a sign theres not enough sites for the bees we have.

Mmmm...so with a lot of these big corporates/commercials that have been around for years,,Im guessing once upon a time they were the beeks that swore by, lived and conducted beekeeping etiquette on the principle of handshake/pot of honey and give neighbouring beeks their space( 2km or whatever it was)??

Greed...one of the seven deadly sins!

but what ever you do please do not offer money for sites this will start something we can not undo, if you pay for a site that's not A high producing Manuka site, word will soon spread and in no time we will all be paying

Really?!?! I agree whole heartedly when the price for honey was a quarter of what it is now - and not many years ago. But the price of all our honeys has increased - probably on the back of Manuka's rise to fame. So paying before was unprofitable and didn't happen, but it can now and should. Share the wealth a wee bit, some of those land owners you're making good - very good money off are really struggling.

Greed...one of the seven deadly sins!

I don't think your doing your math to well, and I'm not talking Manuka sites, neither is this topic about Manuka that's a whole different story, I'm talking winter spring sites we need to build our hives for honey.

So lets say at best I do 30kg of spring honey before I leave the site to chase pollination and or Manuka, (autumn honey no good tutin area), so 30kg/hive (2 boxes) at say $10 kg bush so total $300, minus $10 box extraction 2 x boxes sub total $280, minus $9 share of new drum sub total $271, minus say four visits at 30km avg travel at .50c km so 120km x .5 $60 sub total $211, labour $20/hour at the four visits spending 15 minutes each visit/hive so $20 labour, sub total $191, minus varroa treatment at say $12 hive sub total $179, minus say 2 sugar feeds of total 10 litres at $1 litre $10 sub total $169, minus say 1/2 a queen a year $25, sub total $144.

That's all I can think off for now so well work with that So total now $144, now if we pay $50 hive land owner fee this is low for what some are offering currently and not taking into account pollination of there pasture they getting now for nothing, we have $90 left, other costs could include depreciation on hive gear, insurance costs, rent on any shed/equipment for boxes etc, administraton lets say miselanious is $10 so now we have $80 left.

So that's just a quick rough work out, and assuming we get the 30kg of honey and the price stays that high It would be hard to drop a land owner payment. One spring ago I only did 3kg hive @ $8kg looking at above expensises I lost money hard, so lets say that $80 is not to bad for a good year you then bank that for a bad year you average out quite low. Now I wonder how I comes about that winter spring landowners or even beekeeps can think that paying for these sites is a good idea, Maybe I worked it all out wrong.

• Like 2
Really?!?! I agree whole heartedly when the price for honey was a quarter of what it is now - and not many years ago. But the price of all our honeys has increased - probably on the back of Manuka's rise to fame. So paying before was unprofitable and didn't happen, but it can now and should. Share the wealth a wee bit, some of those land owners you're making good - very good money off are really struggling.

Unfortunately along with the price increase came all the assosciated costs...The new Landcruiser, the Avant, the Side by Side, the new trailer to carry them both, the new crane..........MPI fees.............the wifes new hair cut and colour...........the kids Ipaddy and Iwant and the Ineed. Sheez Ineed another 400 hives break even.

I don't think your doing your math to well, and I'm not talking Manuka sites, neither is this topic about Manuka that's a whole different story, I'm talking winter spring sites we need to build our hives for honey.

So lets say at best I do 30kg of spring honey before I leave the site to chase pollination and or Manuka, (autumn honey no good tutin area), so 30kg/hive (2 boxes) at say $10 kg bush so total $300, minus $10 box extraction 2 x boxes sub total $280, minus $9 share of new drum sub total $271, minus say four visits at 30km avg travel at .50c km so 120km x .5 $60 sub total $211, labour $20/hour at the four visits spending 15 minutes each visit/hive so $20 labour, sub total $191, minus varroa treatment at say $12 hive sub total $179, minus say 2 sugar feeds of total 10 litres at $1 litre $10 sub total $169, minus say 1/2 a queen a year $25, sub total $144.

That's all I can think off for now so well work with that So total now $144, now if we pay $50 hive land owner fee this is low for what some are offering currently and not taking into account pollination of there pasture they getting now for nothing, we have $90 left, other costs could include depreciation on hive gear, insurance costs, rent on any shed/equipment for boxes etc, administraton lets say miselanious is $10 so now we have $80 left.

So that's just a quick rough work out, and assuming we get the 30kg of honey and the price stays that high It would be hard to drop a land owner payment. One spring ago I only did 3kg hive @ $8kg looking at above expensises I lost money hard, so lets say that $80 is not to bad for a good year you then bank that for a bad year you average out quite low. Now I wonder how I comes about that winter spring landowners or even beekeeps can think that paying for these sites is a good idea, Maybe I worked it all out wrong.

Well done Tony, the maths don't lie, if that's the costs and that the revenue then your right

I forgot a couple important ones, Tax, ACC. My point was, I'm sick of people over exaggerating beekeepers income. don't get me wrong we are currently doing ok, some more than others but I know exactly why they are and that is some not paying fairly for Manuka royalties, I have trucks but my newest one is a 2002, I try and look after my staff, I pay fair share of Manuka royalties, I live comfortably yes, but not extravagantly, but I work hard to make the business work and in business you need to make a profit though sometimes it dosent fell like it.

By paying for a standerd site is a dangerous rd I believe, once you start there's no going back if you have a bad year and earn no money or the money you did earn just covers the price of having hives there, can you go to the land owner and say sorry cant afford this year? then if you pay one in theory you need to pay all.

• Like 1