Goran

September 2016 Apiary Diary

Well you can come & get some of the gazillion ferals around here....great colour range

@yesbut, lets not tell her then! Once it stops raining (if ever) we got a truck load of work on.

Looks like a week of rain ahead for us. There was a reason why we did queen cells 2nd week of October last year.

The last time we had an extended rain period like this was 6 years ago. We had a summer drought in the Waikato.

Well I had 20 cells on order for $7.50 each, with the poo weather I have cancelled them and I have just finished making up a Cloake board. I'm going to push my nucs back a couple of weeks and make my own cells. The materials were free ( except the excluder ) and the board looks good. I raised queens last year for my own expansion and that went well so I'll do the same this season and also try the Cloake board with the Alley method and maybe the Miller method to see how that works. Looking forward to the season and another bit of expansion and learning!

Well I had 20 cells on order for $7.50 each, with the poo weather I have cancelled them and I have just finished making up a Cloake board. I'm going to push my nucs back a couple of weeks and make my own cells. The materials were free ( except the excluder ) and the board looks good. I raised queens last year for my own expansion and that went well so I'll do the same this season and also try the Cloake board with the Alley method and maybe the Miller method to see how that works. Looking forward to the season and another bit of expansion and learning!

I've just picked up 28 cells to go into nucs this afternoon. We're having a good day a bad day so hoping weather will play ball.

Then tomorrow morning Cloake board goes in on four hives and grafting tomorrow afternoon. Getting good cells and mated Queens is 1. priority at the moment.

Shifted 3 hives to a new apiary tonight. Just blocked the entrances with grass, lifted them on to ute, strap down and away. At new apiary, meet the property ownwers, and the bees in one hive have found an opening in the grass, masses fire out and sting the dogs, sting me, harras the property owners..."i'll go and put the hives in the paddock then come back up to see you".:D

Bees really grumpy after all this wet stormy weather and the big bumpy move. Feeders on and syrup in. Looks like I need to order some more sugar with the long wet continuing. Bees have just about cleaned up the second super with honey stores and queen is laying in there. Lotsa bees with no food. Welcome to October AKA starvation month, watch your hives closely, if they made it through winter OK then October can be the month you lose them.

Mine would all have starved to death by now without syrup

Fantastic day today. Put 27 of @Jared@bex virgin queens into splits. I didn't finish until 6 pm. Glorious day, sunny and no wind.

Thanks Jared and Bex

• Like 1

We had sun and blue sky today. Hello bees, aren't you so clever. Hello Queenie, ops! You're a bit agile, one superceedure virgin queen, moving at speed. Was pretty stoked to find her actually.

Well then team, obviously enough drones now if the beeses are doing it for themselves.

• Like 2

Shifted 3 hives to a new apiary tonight. Just blocked the entrances with grass, lifted them on to ute, strap down and away. At new apiary, meet the property ownwers, and the bees in one hive have found an opening in the grass, masses fire out and sting the dogs, sting me, harras the property owners..."i'll go and put the hives in the paddock then come back up to see you".:D

Bees really grumpy after all this wet stormy weather and the big bumpy move. Feeders on and syrup in. Looks like I need to order some more sugar with the long wet continuing. Bees have just about cleaned up the second super with honey stores and queen is laying in there. Lotsa bees with no food. Welcome to October AKA starvation month, watch your hives closely, if they made it through winter OK then October can be the month you lose them.

Foam rubber works well..and the other night it was rolled up sacking (left foam at home):rolleyes: hives here bursting with bees and running out of food fast, I'll be trudging through mud carrying buckets of syrup this weekend.

Foam rubber works well..and the other night it was rolled up sacking (left foam at home):rolleyes: hives here bursting with bees and running out of food fast, I'll be trudging through mud carrying buckets of syrup this weekend.

I usually have rolled up wind break cloth in my tool boxes on the ute. Do you think it was there tonight?................

I usually have rolled up wind break cloth in my tool boxes on the ute. Do you think it was there tonight?................

Know what you mean...like my favourite hive tool, hope it doesn't find its way into a tractor tyre or hay mower...