Goran

September 2016 Apiary Diary

Red is good ... at least AFB is being found and reported ... rob out notices suck

Just treat all sites as red

Hmm had Kim over this week as we have the FB in the district, it's a damn lottery.

Checked the other apiary for sign of the disease and it's all clear, they are all booming except for one, I had to run home and get some food as they were nearly out. lots of Kawakawa pollen and some Manuka blooms.

The weak hive has four frames of brood through to empties at the ends and maybe a dozen queen cups. If there were less cups I would have thought supercedure, I guess I will have to keep an eye on it.

Don't ya just love sticking your bee suit on and getting hit by a paper wasp sting in the leg. Yoweeee:thumbdown:

Don't ya just love sticking your bee suit on and getting hit by a paper wasp sting in the leg. Yoweeee:thumbdown:

If it makes you feel any better I've blasted about 20, 000 of them last weekend...

If it makes you feel any better I've blasted about 20, 000 of them last weekend...

You missed one, but don't worry , it won't get me again :lol

Maybee you should wear your suit more often. Ouchie! Bet that hurt

• Like 1

Maybee you should wear your suit more often. Ouchie! Bet that hurt

Appears to have got me 5 times in a matter of seconds. You're right, I'd be better wearing it every day than leaving it on the peg :)

Heaps of drones in hives now. All hives low on food stores, but heaps of pollen. Split hives today for 40 nucs,fixed up some of the mini mating nucs that had a queen failure - removed burr comb from feeder compartment, repopulated and/or additional bees added to and new queen cell and pheromone strip added. Will need to go and feed them all over the coming week.

That's interesting @dansar . You're well ahead of me. I only have one hive with drones, and they've come from a 'cut out' frame that I put together with rubber bands. I wonder if I should have a drone frame in each hive. There is no drone brood to speak of in any hives, but they are very short on pollen. The gorse is not giving what I'd hoped. Blueberry is flowering spasmodically, so will help very soon. Mine are consuming as much syrup as they can , but storing very little. I'm hoping to split in a couple of weeks, which is late for me

That's interesting @dansar . You're well ahead of me. I only have one hive with drones, and they've come from a 'cut out' frame that I put together with rubber bands. I wonder if I should have a drone frame in each hive. There is no drone brood to speak of in any hives, but they are very short on pollen. The gorse is not giving what I'd hoped. Blueberry is flowering spasmodically, so will help very soon. Mine are consuming as much syrup as they can , but storing very little. I'm hoping to split in a couple of weeks, which is late for me

The Drones only started being raised after I started adding pollen substitute. I feel a bit sorry for the hives at my biggest apiary I am pushing them pretty hard to make brood, which they are doing, for splits. One more round I think and I will give them all a break and concentrate on building up for the clover flow.

The Home hives are doing really well with the entrances smothered with bees coming in with fat pollen baskets, white pollen at the moment, also the same in town very low on liquid feed, what they are bringing in is being consumed for brood rearing and feed over these wet days. I split the swarm hive out to 5 nucs and the Hive that had the 3 queens got split out to 4 nucs and the mother hive is now down to 2 boxes, the first time since the honey harvest in March. There were more swarm cells being made, I have significantly depowered it but will keep an eye on it nonetheless.

• Like 1

I wish I had taken a pic today. While sorting through my nuc boxes and adding drawn frames I noted a queen german wasp hovering at the entrance of one of the boxes, she went in and wasnt seen for a while. 5 mins later she exited and away she flies. Opening the box I find attached to the lid a newly started paper cap with 3 eggs started in tiny cells. The curious me wanted to leave it and see how big it would get over the season. The beekeeper me squashed it and give the queen a pat on the head with my hive tool when she returned. Quite a sucesseful day really.

• Like 4

@dansar, I find the idea of a queen laying inside a hive very disturbing. I liked a lot your solution as a beekeeper to the problem.

@dansar, I find the idea of a queen laying inside a hive very disturbing. I liked a lot your solution as a beekeeper to the problem.

The nuc box was vacant, it was in my stack of woodware at home.

It's raining again so we can't even look at hives with bees. :cry:

I wish I had taken a pic today. While sorting through my nuc boxes and adding drawn frames I noted a queen german wasp hovering at the entrance of one of the boxes, she went in and wasnt seen for a while. 5 mins later she exited and away she flies. Opening the box I find attached to the lid a newly started paper cap with 3 eggs started in tiny cells. The curious me wanted to leave it and see how big it would get over the season. The beekeeper me squashed it and give the queen a pat on the head with my hive tool when she returned. Quite a sucesseful day really.

It would have been hilarious selling that nuc on trademe.

Does it hurt more than a bee sting ?

IMHO it defiantly hurts more than a bee sting. Pain in my palm went on for days. Seemed to get worst when water was applied.

Does it hurt more than a bee sting ?

Yes. Quite intense for 10 minutes, then it all went away

Quick check of Cloake finisher today to make sure the girls weren't making cells off the frame. Was looking real good.

Out at 5.30pm to go feed hives. Thunder storm developing over Putaruru.Yay! All but a couple of hives needed feeding. Traveling out to the last site at 8pm...FLOODING signs out. Gully on right side of the road is flooded....that doesn't usually happen...water across road.......clear.......water across road......, .......Get to my last apiary and drive into paddock, the only one I didn't need 4x4 to get to hives. Owner comes out and said water had gone through the paddock but not near the hives. A farm further up the side road had a blocked drain that backed up through the gully during the deluge and finally let go.... Releasing thousands of m3 of water that was (is) backed up behind the blockage. River below my hives is getting high as well. It has never been up to my hive site though. Get back in to town, emergency crews are water blasting out drains that are blocked and flooding the roads around town. Still bucketing down.

Out at 5.30pm to go feed hives. Thunder storm developing over Putaruru.Yay! All but a couple of hives needed feeding. Traveling out to the last site at 8pm...FLOODING signs out. Gully on right side of the road is flooded....that doesn't usually happen...water across road.......clear.......water across road......, .......Get to my last apiary and drive into paddock, the only one I didn't need 4x4 to get to hives. Owner comes out and said water had gone through the paddock but not near the hives. A farm further up the side road had a blocked drain that backed up through the gully during the deluge and finally let go.... Releasing thousands of m3 of water that was (is) backed up behind the blockage. River below my hives is getting high as well. It has never been up to my hive site though. Get back in to town, emergency crews are water blasting out drains that are blocked and flooding the roads around town. Still bucketing down.

I came through Putaruru at 4.30 just as it was starting. No floods then. But man is the central Hawkes bay wet! I did not know it rained there. Shot down to Argyll to pick up a goat. No bees flying anywhere today

I came through Putaruru at 4.30 just as it was starting. No floods then. But man is the central Hawkes bay wet! I did not know it rained there. Shot down to Argyll to pick up a goat. No bees flying anywhere today

So when are you converting from Cows to goats?;)

So when are you converting from Cows to goats?;)

No not me, my daughter is a goat fanatic

@M4tt, so is mine, she chases them, the cute little baby ones and pats them. Productivity drops whenever we drive past goats:eek:
  • Like 1