Goran

September 2016 Apiary Diary

These were approx 1.5 frames capped and emerging brood, 1/2 frame pollen, one solid capped frame honey, one frame half capped and uncapped nectar and then another frame perhaps half nectar and other side drawn or partially drawn frame

Thanks for the explanation...that makes a lot more sense to me and easier to understand for this newbie(y)

Mating nucs populated today. But of a mission by myself but all done by 6pm and nucs sitting in the shed humming loudly.

[ATTACH=full]14708[/ATTACH]

Are you making cells already Dan?

Looking at last yrs dairy I did my first grafts 25th Sept and those Queens didnt mate well.

Altitude is the issue I guess.

Are you making cells already Dan?

Looking at last yrs dairy I did my first grafts 25th Sept and those Queens didnt mate well.

Altitude is the issue I guess.

The cells were available and I have Drones flying. I didnt bother making up 5 frame nucs though, I just robbed a few hives of nurse bees for these mating nucs.

Looking artistic & colourful. Your creative skills there @dansar or help from the family too?

No. I was working late in to the night (the only time to do my stuff now..) I had a Picaso moment and personalised each roof:D

I doubt I will do it again though.

• Like 1

@dansar, they make me soooo happy. The girls will love them:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So its karaka then just got mixed up. Just one of my sites is right next to a big old puriri.and I all of a sudden thought ####... is that toxic one. So thank you.

As long as you feed considerably while the karaka is flowering you shouldn't have an issue

Its a supersedure queen not a swarm queen .the old queen is failing so the bees have replaced her with a new one .the old queen will just quietly dissapear.

The supercedure cells are usually less than three cells often toward the middle of the frame and swarm cells are quite alot of cells and often along the bottom of the frame and up the sides

In general if theres more than 3 cells i think swarming

So should supersedure cells be completly left alone if they are seen in the hive? Do the new queen from this cell always return to the hive? if the first one hatches, what happens to the other new queens in any remaining supersedure cells?

While you have mentioned the queen being old, are supersedure cells created regardless of the age of the queen? I ask this because last year I may have killed off supersedure cells (when I thought they were swarm cells), despite the queen was only, I'm told, several months old.

So should supersedure cells be completly left alone if they are seen in the hive? Do the new queen from this cell always return to the hive? if the first one hatches, what happens to the other new queens in any remaining supersedure cells?

While you have mentioned the queen being old, are supersedure cells created regardless of the age of the queen? I ask this because last year I may have killed off supersedure cells (when I thought they were swarm cells), despite the queen was only, I'm told, several months old.

Yes supersedure should be left alone. Unless you want to introduce a cell or mated Queen yourself.

Yes the Q will return to the hive.

The first Q to emerge will tear down the wall of the others cells and sting the unhatched Q. I saw this is in a hive a few days back, a Virgin Queen, a cell with the side torn off and wriggling inside that cell, and a bunch of other cells the Virgin Q was yet to find.

Supercedure can be created any time - it is the workers response to a Q they believe is failing.

Built a Cloake board this evening. First graft expected Sunday afternoon.

• Like 3

Built a cloak board this evening. First graft expected Sunday afternoon.

Cloake with an "e" please. A bit of respect for Harry if you don't mind. (y)(y)

Out this morning with business meeting. On the way back home I went and collected my Swarm Bait Hive that has been in the tree since December last year. Personality differences at work and other obligations meant I wasnt able to collect it up til now The swarm in it didnt receive an Autumn Varroa treatment. It overwintered in the tree 5 meters up. I had great diffuclty getting it down while on a ladder. The bottom of all the frames are covered in bees, I estimate the whole hive set to weigh about 30kg. I was fair sweating while trying to get it down with out 1. dropping the hive 2. falling off the ladder and 3. not have the hive and ladder fall down on me.

I read on the ladder 100kg max load, with me on it its already overloaded, add the box....

I will take pics tomorrow when I open it up and put in treatment strips.

I only wish I could neglect all hives like this and they be this strong coming out of winter:p

[ATTACH=full]14744[/ATTACH]

Money growing on trees

Out this morning with business meeting. On the way back home I went and collected my Swarm Bait Hive that has been in the tree since December last year. Personality differences at work and other obligations meant I wasnt able to collect it up til now The swarm in it didnt receive an Autumn Varroa treatment. It overwintered in the tree 5 meters up. I had great diffuclty getting it down while on a ladder. The bottom of all the frames are covered in bees, I estimate the whole hive set to weigh about 30kg. I was fair sweating while trying to get it down with out 1. dropping the hive 2. falling off the ladder and 3. not have the hive and ladder fall down on me.

I read on the ladder 100kg max load, with me on it its already overloaded, add the box....

I will take pics tomorrow when I open it up and put in treatment strips.

I only wish I could neglect all hives like this and they be this strong coming out of winter:p

[ATTACH=full]14744[/ATTACH]

There it is. That's the tree I've been looking for....those GPS co-ordinates you gave me put me in the Southern Ocean somewhere....

Short video of the bees. Had a quick peek in one a couple of minutes ago and there is a newly emerged queen in the huddle.

Couldn't help yourself ay mate...;)

Short video of the bees. Had a quick peek in one a couple of minutes ago and there is a newly emerged queen in the huddle.

Did you get the band saw sorted ?? just Saw the videos .

Did you get the band saw sorted ?? just Saw the videos .

Yes. They supplied a new motor in the end.

• Like 1

Its the Waikato. It hardly ever blows here.It is very sheltered in the back garden. What you dont see is a long bungy made out of a tractor inner tube to tie them down to the shelf.

• Like 1

Been through another 30 hives today, Everything looking impressively strong and am very happy with how everything is building (most of them had around 1/3rd more un-capped brood than capped) and not seeing any varroa damage putting apivar in. So far I am running at 5% loss rate over winter which I am happy with and a far cry form the 20% I had budgeted for.... Does mean I will probably need more boxes tho... Lol

• Like 2