Goran

September 2016 Apiary Diary

I've not heard of Puriri being toxic to bees. Sure you're not thinking of Karaka ? I don't know when your Karaka flowers.
So its karaka then just got mixed up. Just one of my sites is right next to a big old puriri.and I all of a sudden thought ####... is that toxic one. So thank you.

Started melting down wax off old frames etc in the electric frying pan. Once hard, I scrape all the rubbish from the bottom of the block, then will run it through my solar wax melter once to give me clean wax to put on frames

image.jpeg.a758b1d6c4ef07a345e4d5367cd4d268.jpeg

image.jpeg.14d858c591d84c9e506646c6291a4554.jpeg

image.jpeg.f2320b038d217f27c30e92ceb80e86e9.jpeg

image.jpeg.a758b1d6c4ef07a345e4d5367cd4d268.jpeg

image.jpeg.14d858c591d84c9e506646c6291a4554.jpeg

image.jpeg.f2320b038d217f27c30e92ceb80e86e9.jpeg

• Like 2

@M4tt, that looks like a lot of work. Solar melter here in the last couple of days would've had no show. Toasty by the fire though!

I pulled up out front of my meanest, nastiest, toughest, loneliest, Formic Acid drinking, foam eating, disease beating hive today.

I didn’t get out of the truck but managed to keep the truck window down long enough to get a photo of the beast.

5992eb7387b12_meanhivedisturbed.jpg.51a7bd65ba6e7f68a8f4e240c6f00ce4.jpg

5992eb7387b12_meanhivedisturbed.jpg.51a7bd65ba6e7f68a8f4e240c6f00ce4.jpg

@M4tt, that looks like a lot of work. Solar melter here in the last couple of days would've had no show. Toasty by the fire though!

Thats why I'm a hobbiest(y);). Solar melter will work at 20 degrees in direct sun. We've had nothing like that yet, so it will get stashed till then

Just went through my home hives, wintered everything down as two singles making up one hive and a very weak two box hive (prob should have been dropped down to one box but didnt so I could see what happened. So today the two singles were both ready to pick their boxes up and carry them away they were so strong! Packed full of bees and brood plus plenty of honey. They now both have second boxes on them, the weak hive that I lift as a double has filled the top box over winter and is really going to town. Should be a good year for the back yard :-)

• Like 2

Just went through my home hives, wintered everything down as two singles making up one hive and a very weak two box hive (prob should have been dropped down to one box but didnt so I could see what happened. So today the two singles were both ready to pick their boxes up and carry them away they were so strong! Packed full of bees and brood plus plenty of honey. They now both have second boxes on them, the weak hive that I lift as a double has filled the top box over winter and is really going to town. Should be a good year for the back yard :)

What forage is it likely they have built up on?

What forage is it likely they have built up on?

No idea, I am in town so they could have found anything....

Put some nucs into ten frame boxes this afternoon Well that was the easy part, the trouble was getting near the hives ..mud hidden under grass.

Nucs had built up to a point where they are all brood and bees and no food..Autumn Queens doing really well. My assistant (wife) lost her boots and fell over in the mud three times :whistle: [ATTACH=full]14690[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]14691[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]14692[/ATTACH]

I don't think you tried hard enough, there's far too much white showing through on the ute.;)

I don't think you tried hard enough, there's far too much white showing through on the ute.;)

Yep...consistency of the mud is terrible very Sticky, diff lock and lots of revs saved the day...er just.

[ATTACH]14694[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14693[/ATTACH] Not much better down here @Over Worker . My shiny new chains got their inaugural outing yesterday after sliding all the way down the track, to help me get out again. It was one of those moments, when halfway down the track I realised "hey, the farmer has re shaped the track since I was last here", closely followed by "hmm it's a bit muddy after the rain" then "far out (or something similar) there's not much traction".

But boy do I like those chains - fit them in a few minutes, engage low and all the diff locks and crawl all the way out again.

Hives fed, mission accomplished :D

Is that like a rotten rock mix? We have a lot of rhyolite on the tracks up here, it fills up the tread quickly then you slide.

Is that like a rotten rock mix? We have a lot of rhyolite on the tracks up here, it fills up the tread quickly then you slide.

The rock itself is ok, you can see where I parked to take the photo the track bed is fine.

Lower down though it is mostly clay with the odd rock floating in it, sitting on a bed of greasy clay. Like trying to drive up a giant slushy

Good day at the office. :)

5992eb748da95_WP_20160911_09_34_11_Pro1.jpg.5aff8056bf0c4e1425af3bb9724eedf5.jpg

Hives are full of honey and bees.

All I have to do now is split and split and split.

5992eb747e290_WP_20160911_12_45_10_Pro1.jpg.19d5901d0f87517b24ed21ae289885fd.jpg

5992eb7482e9e_WP_20160911_10_34_55_Pro1.jpg.0ce58e51f34d85b8a541accd280c70eb.jpg

5992eb7489ded_WP_20160911_10_13_13_Pro1.jpg.bb5467c4a1d0ed47248734cbb0fe9080.jpg

5992eb747e290_WP_20160911_12_45_10_Pro1.jpg.19d5901d0f87517b24ed21ae289885fd.jpg

5992eb7482e9e_WP_20160911_10_34_55_Pro1.jpg.0ce58e51f34d85b8a541accd280c70eb.jpg

5992eb7489ded_WP_20160911_10_13_13_Pro1.jpg.bb5467c4a1d0ed47248734cbb0fe9080.jpg

5992eb748da95_WP_20160911_09_34_11_Pro1.jpg.5aff8056bf0c4e1425af3bb9724eedf5.jpg

• Like 3

Well done.

By the time my Drone brood looks like that the hives will be 4 and 5 boxes high.

I suppose we will all be splitting hard out this season.

Queens will be gold

A stunning day today, you could even call it "hot" at one stage. I split a bursting two box urban hive into seven splits today (including the original box). Ten day old QC's went into all. Fed each 1-2l sugar syrup and 300gram pollen patties.

• Like 2

The rock itself is ok, you can see where I parked to take the photo the track bed is fine.

Lower down though it is mostly clay with the odd rock floating in it, sitting on a bed of greasy clay. Like trying to drive up a giant slushy

I never thought of using chains

Would it help on a slippery steep clay track

It's ok in summer when it gets the Sun

I never thought of using chains

Would it help on a slippery steep clay track

It's ok in summer when it gets the Sun

Hi - see previous discussion here

Mud chains

As far as I can work out, useful where you have a hard clay base that is slippery, not much use if you are in danger of sinking in and burying a vehicle to the axle.

There are specific mud chains - got Mine from chain protection services chains.co.nz

we got in a slightly dificult slippery spot and could not put on the chains so ended up laying the chains down on the ground in front of the wheels to add grip. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

I split a bursting two box urban hive into seven splits today (including the original box). Ten day old QC's went into all. Fed each 1-2l sugar syrup

If you don't mind Crabee..could you elaborate on exactly what you have done here to get seven splits?

Would that be something like ,two frames of brood per split ,1 frame pollen,1 frame drawn comb/foundation and a 1 frame feeder with the queen cell in between brood frames??

These were approx 1.5 frames capped and emerging brood, 1/2 frame pollen, one solid capped frame honey, one frame half capped and uncapped nectar and then another frame perhaps half nectar and other side drawn or partially drawn frame. I'm not too fussy with where the QC goes, sometimes it is tricky to stick it on and so usually I'll try and find a brood frame with some capped honey that I can uncap and stick the cell into. Of the seven splits four are in six frame wooden nuc boxes with a one or two frame feeder in them, two Hive Doctor five frame nuc boxes with a one frame feeder in, and the last is the original box. Oh and actually one of the nucs was made up from frames for a separate hive.....so it was really seven nucs from a two box hive and four selected frames were taken from another hive. The Queen went into one of the nucs. The bees have been locked in all afternoon and in the morning I'll cover their entrances with vegetation so on emergence they reorient themselves as six of the nucs are only about two metres away from the original hive. The QC's originated from a breeder hive, with cut comb including < one day old larvae into starter/finisher hives manipulated with a Cloak board.

@Shaun those jumbo hives looks good at that office site. If you need a hand at that site, wouldn't mind a call.

@Shaun those jumbo hives looks good at that office site. If you need a hand at that site, wouldn't mind a call.

:) Funny thing is that every beekeeper that I know mentions giving me a hand at that particular Apiary :)

While I'm happy to have company I keep in mind that the land owner provides the transport (pays) and while I sometimes have a helper mostly I work on my own.

• Like 2