Ed Bee

Wax shortage

I served from 1971 to 1991. Great time of my life 20 years of playing with guns, tanks and big trucks. Pity about the marching and drill etc.

Did you ever have to go and fight anyone

I don't get up to anything mildly interesting

You have the goat, that's pretty interesting. My wife is so jealous :D

Haha yeah I used to think I wanted a goat too :lol, nah just kidding, I love her but she's very hard work, she gets into absolutely everything lol I have to watch her like a hawk to make sure she doesn't eat something poisonous all the time :confused: everything goes in her mouth including little pieces of plastic lol

Her latest game is to push things off coffee tables and steal lighters

Did you ever have to go and fight anyone

No, I joined in 1971 to go the Vietnam, They closed our activity down in 1972 (lucky me). Peace keeping service as is done now did not start until the late 80's. By which time I was almost ready to leave. I had 20 years of peaceful service.

Wish we still had tanks :-(

Yes. I saw out the last of the Centurions, then the M41's, and saw the introduction of the scorpions. Not sure that I would call the scorpion a tank thou.

• Like 1

Would you like one, it can be arranged ...

Would you like one, it can be arranged ...

No thanks mate. And not the first time it's been offered. My brother has a small farm near Waiwera. Not sure that roadtripping back to Blenheim with a goat in the back of the surf would be that much fun.

You have to watch goats with poisonous plants. My Billy once got into the neighbours rhododendrons. He vomited and screamed for two days. I finally plucked up the courage to shoot him the next morning but when I went to do it I found him occupied with the nanny so I figured he had recovered.

• Like 1

You have to watch goats with poisonous plants. My Billy once got into the neighbours rhododendrons. He vomited and screamed for two days. I finally plucked up the courage to shoot him the next morning but when I went to do it I found him occupied with the nanny so I figured he had recovered.

As far as I'm aware the only thing on my property that she's not meant to have is red maple and tomato plants, I think everything else is ok, but I would prefer she didn't eat everything.

She's not really ingesting things yet just nibbling, she is starting to eat grapevines though but she only likes things if she picks them herself.

Apparently they love raisins but I'm damned if I can get her to eat one.

She's got hay and apple and carrot to eat if she wants and water but she seems happy with milk for now.

hubby wired up all the wax off cuts yesterday

@Rob Stockley as you can see he spot wax welded some of them together.

i have numbered them and will put them on the hive when the flow is really pumping.

so we shall see how they work out

one.jpg.fb1cb3a04c192ba7b6b1f1c3166d608a.jpg

two.jpg.2331d51021547dcfa6e0cf42b44ff0ee.jpg

three.jpg.c16099c08a36994b41f61e8df732d14f.jpg

four.jpg.1aaa9fa0dea5b5d832ec585884046f68.jpg

wiring.jpg.e618712cdb644feecb3696227c0e2b7d.jpg

one.jpg.fb1cb3a04c192ba7b6b1f1c3166d608a.jpg

two.jpg.2331d51021547dcfa6e0cf42b44ff0ee.jpg

three.jpg.c16099c08a36994b41f61e8df732d14f.jpg

four.jpg.1aaa9fa0dea5b5d832ec585884046f68.jpg

wiring.jpg.e618712cdb644feecb3696227c0e2b7d.jpg

• Like 1

hubby wired up all the wax off cuts yesterday

@Rob Stockley as you can see he spot wax welded some of them together.

i have numbered them and will put them on the hive when the flow is really pumping.

so we shall see how they work out

Our experience with foundationless top bars in a lang is that the first comb drawn was 100% drone. Then they reverted to worker comb once they had the hive back into balance (in their point of view) in regards worker and drone brood. If you have a fully drawn comb either side, then you don't even need a starter strip, just a sharp triangle of wood under the top bar is all that is required. If you remove the drone comb, then you'll find they just keep making more drone comb. So the other route is to give them two or three frames with drone foundation on them first if you want mostly worker brood in these partial ones.

I got about four hundred kgs approx. of wax spare and even though theres a wax shortage no one seems to want to pay good money for it, yet hive prices are out of control, $16 dollars a kg is the best offer I've had, that's bit low for something in supposed demand. Ill just hang onto it for a rainy day at that price.

Hi Tony - I am looking for around 100Kgs or more of wax. Happy to pay you more than 16/kg but not much more ;) we're a small family business trying to survive this year, which is looking pretty dismal till now...

@Bron might sell you some

@Bron I'd really love to talk with you re: wax - I need around 100Kgs or more... Happy to come pick it up...

• Like 1

Hi Tony - I am looking for around 100Kgs or more of wax. Happy to pay you more than 16/kg but not much more ;) we're a small family business trying to survive this year, which is looking pretty dismal till now...

@Bron I'd really love to talk with you re: wax - I need around 100Kgs or more... Happy to come pick it up...

She's at Mahia today, she'll get back to you tonight.

Try Bron we dont have alot of spare at the moment

Try Bron we dont have alot of spare at the moment

Thanks, she's been in touch. Fingers crossed!

Jason

• Like 1