Ed Bee

Wax shortage

I've been told that any spores in wax wouldn't be viable due to the wax encapsulating it.

Most spores.... Not all....

hey joseph

Stranger .... can we get some wax off you !!!!

Could some one please explain to a new bek where all the wax goes because shouldnt there be allot around if the bees are always making more and it lasts forever?

Could some one please explain to a new bek where all the wax goes because shouldnt there be allot around if the bees are always making more and it lasts forever?

Making more foundation

Waxing plastic frames

Commercial beekeepers stockpiling it due to low prices paid for wax

Beekeeping industry is in a massive increase cycle so greater demand for wax.

It was explained here on the forum few weeks ago.

There was a big(unusual?) export to AUS.

Major players + several smaller ones switched to pricking last season - NO UNCAPPING -> 10 times less cappings for them

Some commercial players hold on their stock waiting for the "BUY" price to go up

• Companies are now providing a service where frames can be bought waxed. So wax is going to these businesses
  • There is a huge increase in beekeepers, particularly newbees.
  • There's a wax and wire revival going on (commercials and newbees).
  • One strategy currently in the management of hives is to get rid of old and dark frames and that wax just ends up in the burn pile.
  • In the past people waxed their own. (We still do!)
  • More extractors are retaining comb, so the amount in the extraction process has lessened.
  • Lots of other things are made with beeswax.
  • Wax can not be imported into NZ.
  • I also think that there's a huge stockpile out there too that is not up for sale.

No, it is a by-product of extraction. Too commercially valuable to just melt down. Bees have less work to tidy up comb rather than make more. Less wax to make = more honey.

There is also a demand from the cosmetics industry for beeswax and high quality church candles are also made from beeswax

• Like 1

Ok thanks @dansar @Kiwi Bee and @Bron . is there many people that collect wax commercially, like do they get bees to draw out foundation then melt it down and make more foundation to sell?

Honey and nucs are more valuable. I do not think anybody will waste time with wax production.

Honey and nucs are more valuable. I do not think anybody will waste time with wax production.

I anticipate the price getting high enough for the large extractors to go back to traditional uncapping....

cant see It, its still a by product, lets say I have 400 kgs of wax I could sell tomorrow nice clean stuff, never used apistan, and minimal amatraz, currently I could get $15/kg tomorrow = $6000 on the sceme of things, I'm not selling at that, Good luck to the guys that are buying foundation and plastic frames with all the rubbish wax, to be honest I would be and am just putting around plants/throwing away.

cant see It, its still a by product, lets say I have 400 kgs of wax I could sell tomorrow nice clean stuff, never used apistan, and minimal amatraz, currently I could get $15/kg tomorrow = $6000 on the sceme of things, I'm not selling at that, Good luck to the guys that are buying foundation and plastic frames with all the rubbish wax, to be honest I would be and am just putting around plants/throwing away.

I anticipate that grade for selling for $30+ in the next few years.... At those numbers it starts to get more worth doing....

hey joseph

Stranger .... can we get some wax off you !!!!

he is based in canada. no import of bee products.

well, not yet......

he is based in canada. no import of bee products.

well, not yet......

ups. didn't read that last post.

should have had that coffee first.

• Like 1

Welcome on the forum @Joe Edwards.

I followed on youtube some commercial bkpers from Saskatchewan in the past few years. It is very impressive what you guys are producing there in a short season and only form rapeseed(+ a bit of lucerne).

• Like 1

I was chatting to a German beek. He was a little crazy so you may want to take this with a grain of salt. He said in Germanythere is a massive wax shortage and that it's getting bought by Russia for bombs.

I was chatting to a German beek. He was a little crazy so you may want to take this with a grain of salt. He said in Germanythere is a massive wax shortage and that it's getting bought by Russia for bombs.

It might have been true once, but I think even Russia has entered the 21st century. :)

It might have been true once, but I think even Russia has entered the 21st century. :)

not for bombs. plus russia hasn't been dropping many compared to what they would have in storage.

however various armed forces did have lubricated ammo, which i under stand was beeswax based. some of the original ammo, such a Peterson ammo, is still in excellent condition today due to that coating.

• Like 1

In explosives, Beeswax was replaced with paraffin wax sometime between 1890 and now

In explosives, Beeswax was replaced with paraffin wax sometime between 1890 and now

i think, but not sure, beeswax was still in use just before and possibly during ww2.

i think, but not sure, beeswax was still in use just before and possibly during ww2.

Correct. The US military used many tons of it. Some for munitions, some for preservatives and a lot for waterproofing equipment.

Correct. The US military used many tons of it. Some for munitions, some for preservatives and a lot for waterproofing equipment.

Im impressed you can remember that far back ;-)