Ed Bee

Wax shortage

I wouldn't be surprised to see bulk prices of $25 per kg or more over the next few years....

Or more likely a law change that allows bee products to legally be imported into NZ

The rumors I'm hearing say that imports ARE going to become legal.

Ceracell ecro and nz wax not longer sell wax

Signs of the time. Won't pay enough for it,can't get enough and won't sell it as price would show us how badly they're ripping us off.

@Happy I think you are seeing conspiracy theories. They are not selling wax as they are using it all for their own requirements. NZ Beeswax will be turning it all into foundation and Ecrotek and Ceracell are using all they can get to prewax plastic foundations.

I also heard that a couple of the larger extractors are sending it over to Australia.

Foundation is now around $25/kg and it was only $15.00 kg last year.

Is there much disease risk with imported wax?

This is all also not helped by the fact that it was a lean year by a lot of accounts-less honey means less wax.

• Like 1

This is all also not helped by the fact that it was a lean year by a lot of accounts-less honey means less wax.

No. Very minimal. Otherwise how could they produce foundation without spreading AFB all over the country.

No. Very minimal. Otherwise how could they produce foundation without spreading AFB all over the country.

I was under that impression for AFB, I don't know about other exotic diseases surviving the melting process....

• Like 1

The numbers suggest that AFB spores will survive the melting prosess.

Maybe the spores end up encapulated within the wax so present less of a risk??, combined with the likelyhood that they would be few and far between.

Just like blending out Tutin Honey

The numbers suggest that AFB spores will survive the melting prosess.

Maybe the spores end up encapulated within the wax so present less of a risk??, combined with the likelyhood that they would be few and far between.

Just like blending out Tutin Honey

My thinking exactly.

NZ Beeswax will be turning it all into foundation and Ecrotek and Ceracell are using all they can get to prewax plastic foundations.

I'm sure we aren't the only ones who have a huge stack of wax in the shed.

We won't sell it to the big players because they aren't paying enough.

When they put up their prices they will have heaps of offers for wax

Just out of interest in what form is this stash ? Neat brown paper & string parcels ? Buckets ? Naked blocks ?

I'm sure we aren't the only ones who have a huge stack of wax in the shed.

We won't sell it to the big players because they aren't paying enough.

When they put up their prices they will have heaps of offers for wax

So... If I need some will you sell it to me? ;)

I don't know. Maybe @Dave Black will be able to tell us.

Well, just note that beeswax melts at 60C ish, flash-point around 200C. Paraffin wax boils at nearly 400C. You use the later to dip boxes.

Disease might not be the only concern. Do antibiotic residues accumulate in wax?

Disease might not be the only concern. Do antibiotic residues accumulate in wax?

I dont think that would be an issue....

Have some companies started mixing parafin wax with bee's wax

they where the lowest.

I dont think that would be an issue....

You could be right. Google suggests that Terramycin breaks down rather quickly. I wonder what it breaks down into and whether those components might be bad. NDR thresholds are so small these days. It wouldn't take much to get picked up.

That's what I would be worried about also chemicals that have used for varroa treatments

I have heard of 30'kg from private buyers small quantities, that in my opinion is realistic, Its the most important part of getting frames started without it its quite hard/slow to get hives going

Varroa residues is a real thing in wax not that long ago we had our wax test positive and down graded (we don't/never even use the product we tested positive for), I would not be surprised if wax holds lots of bad stuff we don't want in hives whether they have an impact on hive health I'm not sure, in twenty years though we have never used anyone else's wax.

@frazzledfozzle , @tony and others too.

I am after a 15-20kg of beeswax for coating. There is a gap between the wholesale an retail price so we may have a good deal.

Please let me know if you guys selling any.

Anyone investigated gamma radiation of beeswax for importation or microcrystalline wax as an additive/substitute in foundation?

I think it would be to expensive to do, I been thinking today though I can only imagine the quality of wax that's going onto frames at the moment it will be anything and everything, ###### that.

, I been thinking today though I can only imagine the quality of wax that's going onto frames at the moment it will be anything and everything, ###### that.

Yes the thought crossed my mind as I delivered my premium cappings wax and got my boxes of foundation. I had a tour through the factory many years ago before all the modern OSH regs I saw first hand how the rubbish wax gets cleaned and made into foundation while the good stuff goes for cosmetics or church candles.

A few years ago a beekeeper in Sweden had honey tested positive for antibiotics. The source was traced back to be the wax foundations, made of imported wax which was intended to be used only for impregnating clothes. Ever since there is a shortage of wax for some reason...

• Like 1

I've been told that any spores in wax wouldn't be viable due to the wax encapsulating it.

As far as shortage of wax. Only in NZ. The world wax market is saturated at the moment with Vietnam becoming a major player. Also with the high price of wax and low price of honey lots of stored wax has made its way onto the market.

• Like 1