Stu

40 Hives Stolen South Wairarapa

Just had 40 singles stolen from the South Wairarapa last week at some stage. They took the boxes off and onto their own bases.

Looks like the thieves went in the direction of Western Lake area in the Wairarapa.

All hives will are reasonably new and have beetek top feeders with feeder cups and unpainted.

They were chocka with feed. They did not take the emlocks so have there own system.

If you get offered any hives in the area please let me know.

really sorry to hear of more thefts.

@Stu what size gear was it? Frames plastic, wood or both. Any markings? What type of lids?

Sorry stu

This is unforgivable to do to a fellow beekeeper

That is horribly sucky. Really sorry to hear that. :( I hope the thieves get done. 40 is a serious hole in anyones numbers...

@Stu what size gear was it? Frames plastic, wood or both. Any markings? What type of lids?

All full depth, frame a mix of wood wax and wood with plastic inserts....the odd plastic frame gets in some of them. Lids are generally Hive Doctor...sprung end with safety edges folded inwards. Also all have top feeders 75-80mm high. Under the lids you will find a range of insulation including old fertilizer sacks.

No markings as such but my writing will be all over the lids.

Sorry stu

This is unforgivable to do to a fellow beekeeper

yep. the worst thing is they will be a local and probably see them around at school etc!

Just had 40 singles stolen from the South Wairarapa last week at some stage. They took the boxes off and onto their own bases.

Looks like the thieves went in the direction of Western Lake area in the Wairarapa.

All hives will are reasonably new and have beetek top feeders with feeder cups and unpainted.

They were chocka with feed. They did not take the emlocks so have there own system.

If you get offered any hives in the area please let me know.

Sorry to hear that mate, that sucks. I really hope you find them/hear something and catch the beggars.

I'm wondering why beekeepers with a lot of hives in one area don't have a trail camera setup looking at site or maybe an access way so you can get a shot of a vehicle or persons? I've have a few cameras mostly for wildlife but I did have one pointed at my hive when I first relocated it to another site away from home, it was just me being paranoid more than anything, but did get video of tresspassers and power line service vehicles using our property, a few hundred dollars and the batteries last for months and quality is very good.

It would be good to hear other thoughts.

It appalls me to think that the people who steel hives are experienced beekeepers who know what they are doing! Just crazy.

hey stu bud,

I see there's 350 nucs for sale in the wairarapa .... bit of a coincidence.

Perhaps we could get together ... say we give you 10 to replace .... anybody else feel like offering ..?

• Like 1