Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archive Collected Bees from tree Papatoetoe

[quote name='Deniz']Dansar, how would it help me if I minimise the area? The empty frames still work like some sort of insulation? I spotted the queen, luckily she was not dead during the operation. and u recomend the gate should face the wall not the garage door? thanks, will keep informed.[/quote] The small space is easier to keep warm. The only heat in a hive is created by the bees, if you dont have many bees in the hive it will be impossible for them to keep warm in a FD box (it is a bit like using a candle to heat a 5000m2 warehouse). Tie the comb in to frames like the one I have shown. Hopefully you will fit it all into 4 frames maximum. block off the rest of the hive area that isnt used. There is lot of information on the internet about over wintering nucs and you can apply the principles.

today i checked the girls, it seems they deserted the trunk and settled well in the hive, I wrapped the 5 frames with a cardboard(I found this from a web site) to keep them warm. i saw some polen some of the legs of them and to the one of the plastic closed frames they started to build up some comb. however I removed all the closed frames and left the 5 honey combs. I also gave them sugar syrup for a kick of. I will open the trunk soon in the evening to see if here is any bee left in there. but it seems it is all deserted. it took almost 4 days to leave the place, maybe they liked the hive better then trunk?

5 frames w almost half full. they added some new frame [attachment=1619:name]

:) Looking good, Deniz.

thats a pretty good recovery from a week or so ago. Well done :)