• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no no - there's no one in nz that wants to be a beekeeper, that's why they're allowed to bring in overseas beekeepers. Absolutely nothing to do with the fact they'll work for minimum wage without a complaint, then go home with their money, send money home or wait out the entry period get citizenship and bring their families here.

YEAH RIGHT

How sad, there are plenty of ppl here in NZ that do the job and need the work!

Have you ever run a situations vacant ad for a beekeeper and seen how many "local" applicants you get?? Answer is very few if any. Would love the names and numbers of all the people you are referring to.

Have you ever run a situations vacant ad for a beekeeper and seen how many "local" applicants you get?? Answer is very few if any. Would love the names and numbers of all the people you are referring to.

Probably because people don't want to work for minimum wage, all hours of day or night (within labor dept rules of course), and feel alienated from their workmates whom they don't share a common language with. Don't get me wrong i know there is a large amount of useless bludgers out there - but there are people who would love to work for a large commercial and gain experience. Many of the larger commercials have a labour reputation that presides them, and i'm told some of them have a - no beekeeping yourself policy.

I think most people would agree the above isn't really to inviting to someone wanting a career path in commercial beekeeping.

So what I am 'reading' into this is that your pay for hired staff is poor and the big ones like you @Ted fill their own pockets rather than appreciating the backbreaking work and long hours beekeepers are asked to do working the season. Hence you don't get any applicants! Funny that!

Unfortunately long hours, night work and low rewards are the realities of commercial beekeeping and nothing has changed in the 35 years I've been involved. But there are some huge upsides for people who appreciate working outside in some pristine environments and have a genuine passion for bees. It's not all about the money - and incidentally the mega large commercials I know are paying about $3 more than minimum wage for mature trainees and significantly more for anyone with a couple of years experience.

So what I am 'reading' into this is that your pay for hired staff is poor and the big ones like you @Ted fill their own pockets rather than appreciating the backbreaking work and long hours beekeepers are asked to do working the season. Hence you don't get any applicants! Funny that!

I have been a beekeeper for 35 years so know exactly what back breaking work it is. For your information, pay rates for anyone with at least 2 years experience is well over $20 hour and trainees $17 -$18 depending on age. Compare those rates to other industries in NZ.

• Like 1
Unfortunately long hours, night work and low rewards are the realities of commercial beekeeping and nothing has changed in the 35 years I've been involved. But there are some huge upsides for people who appreciate working outside in some pristine environments and have a genuine passion for bees. It's not all about the money - and incidentally the mega large commercials I know are paying about $3 more than minimum wage for mature trainees and significantly more for anyone with a couple of years experience.

I have been a beekeeper for 35 years so know exactly what back breaking work it is. For your information, pay rates for anyone with at least 2 years experience is well over $20 hour and trainees $17 -$18 depending on age. Compare those rates to other industries in NZ.

Just for arguments sake, what would you pay somebody with 8 years of experience who also holds a DECA, can breed Bees and is meticulous in record keeping? :D

no no - there's no one in nz that wants to be a beekeeper, that's why they're allowed to bring in overseas beekeepers. Absolutely nothing to do with the fact they'll work for minimum wage without a complaint, then go home with their money, send money home or wait out the entry period get citizenship and bring their families here.

YEAH RIGHT

True

Ted - naive I'm not. I know the realities of commercial beekeeping, and I'm disagreeing with you sorry. I know people that have gone for jobs with a couple of the large if not largest outfits here in the far north - and they have not got the jobs! I know that both persons had good work records and references in their previous careers. They wanted a new career direction. They were passed up due to a lack of experience. And the vacancies were filled by a couple of guys from East Europe.

You mention the upsides - pristine enviroments etc etc - yes, lovely it is - then you put on your veil and sweat your bum off in a sauna suit and summer temps.

And don't get me wrong, i love it.

Then again maybe I'm just a masochist........

• Like 1
$28 - $30. Send me your c.v

Thank you for your kind offer!

And I will let it rest here, as I have just deleted a whole lot of verbal abuse I was going to throw at you.

I wish you all the best with your staff and I am looking forward you sharing your experiences with your bees here on the forum. Your shared knowledge is invaluable to the beekeeping community.

Ted - naive I'm not. I know the realities of commercial beekeeping, and I'm disagreeing with you sorry. I know people that have gone for jobs with a couple of the large if not largest outfits here in the far north - and they have not got the jobs! I know that both persons had good work records and references in their previous careers. They wanted a new career direction. They were passed up due to a lack of experience. And the vacancies were filled by a couple of guys from East Europe.

You mention the upsides - pristine enviroments etc etc - yes, lovely it is - then you put on your veil and sweat your bum off in a sauna suit and summer temps.

And don't get me wrong, i love it.

Then again maybe I'm just a masochist........

Yes, I think I know who you are referring to up there and there is no doubt in my mind he would prefer to employ people from his old stomping ground. There are exceptions to every rule so please don't think we all behave the same as him.

Thank you for your kind offer!

And I will let it rest here, as I have just deleted a whole lot of verbal abuse I was going to throw at you.

I wish you all the best with your staff and I am looking forward you sharing your experiences with your bees here on the forum. Your shared knowledge is invaluable to the beekeeping community.

Not sure why you were going to abuse me for answering your question???

Yes, I think I know who you are referring to up there and there is no doubt in my mind he would prefer to employ people from his old stomping ground. There are exceptions to every rule so please don't think we all behave the same as him.

so which part of 'I will let this rest here' did you not understand?

The employment of offshore labour is not uncommon in NZ I've moaned many times before about the fishing industry and the horticulture industry with their low wages which no NZ resident could afford to live off.

We should be hiring NZers first and if that means training them so be it.

With Ngai Tahu owning 50% of Watsons I would have thought there would be plenty of members wanting a chance to learn beekeeping.

I can assure you, when we have fruit to be picked we employ everybody who can pick a kiwifruit without damaging it. Beekeeping is largely seasonal and now that commercials don't use wooden frames much there often isn't enough workload to keep lots of staff going all winter which suits international workers well.

• Like 1

Yes Ted you obviously know of who i speak - and they are a big outfit putting it very mildly!!.

These are the kind of brushes that the entire industry gets tarred with.

Believe me the dairy industry is dragging it's reputation slowly out of the labor force doldrums. poor remuneration, long long days, poor perks drove a few generations from the game. The same will happen in beekeeping, the governments allowance of an overseas workforce does nothing for the future staffing of the industry, the industry needs to change - or some of the players do. Do people really believe the public/government will allow it to go on infinitum??.

Yes Ted you obviously know of who i speak - and they are a big outfit putting it very mildly!!.

These are the kind of brushes that the entire industry gets tarred with.

Believe me the dairy industry is dragging it's reputation slowly out of the labor force doldrums. poor remuneration, long long days, poor perks drove a few generations from the game. The same will happen in beekeeping, the governments allowance of an overseas workforce does nothing for the future staffing of the industry, the industry needs to change - or some of the players do. Do people really believe the public/government will allow it to go on infinitum??.

I agree. My conscience wouldn't let me choose a more qualified import over a NZ jobseeker IF there were some actively looking for jobs. I think a lot of the problem is a whole lot of very inexperienced bee keepers are going straight from a brief training course to running their own commercial businesses.

• Like 1
I agree. My conscience wouldn't let me choose a more qualified import over a NZ jobseeker IF there were some actively looking for jobs. I think a lot of the problem is a whole lot of very inexperienced bee keepers are going straight from a brief training course to running their own commercial businesses.

I agree and I think that is what is maintaining the high beehive and Nuc prices-these new players don't have the foundational skills to make their own Nucs etc.