Beginner Beekeeper saying Hi

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Anniiee

Great to have you on the forum. Its a great place for learning.. I know I've learnt a lot here

Where are you based in Auckland? Like you I've attended the Bee Course and have been purchasing gear for the upcoming season, when I have my budget approved by my wife!!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
Hi Anniiee

Great to have you on the forum. Its a great place for learning.. I know I've learnt a lot here

Where are you based in Auckland? Like you I've attended the Bee Course and have been purchasing gear for the upcoming season, when I have my budget approved by my wife!!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm out West in Waitakere, good luck with getting the budget approved lol Let's hope we're both lucky and get our bees this season.

Welcome, out of interest did u locate the source of the swarms? You can put out a box, as high as u can in a warm sheltered spot and a colony may just move in. Once u get the bee bug u have it for life no known cure.

No unfortunately I didn't see where they went to, at the time having no knowledge of bees my first instinct was to run in the house and close all of the windows :(. Yes I've been googling how to make a swarm box I am going to put one up, not really expecting to catch anything but can't hurt to try :)

• Like 1
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this board for a while now trying to glean any advice I can. I took a beekeeping course at the end of last summer, I've been buying all the equipment over the winter and I'm now as prepared as I'll ever be and am eagerly awaiting some bees, which will hopefully be ready in October. I'm pretty sure my questions will be coming thick and fast once the bees arrive:).

A little about how I/we (my husband and I) became interested in bees. We moved into our property 3 years ago and the first spring we had a swarm fly along the back of our house (didn't see where it landed), we never really gave it another thought until the following spring when exactly the same thing happened again ! This time I decided to start reading around why this was happening, the more I read the more interested I became, and now I'm here hoping to successfully keep some bees ;).

Tracy :)

Hi all

I am in the same position as Anniiee, have taken the course (in KatiKati) bought the kit but still find myself very nervous about taking the final step, I fear killing off any bees I get.

Could really do with someone looking over my shoulder and advising for the first steps (I procrastinated so long last year that I missed my chance)

Nearest club seems to be Waikato in Hamilton but evening meetings and it is a long drive from Waihi and course or not I have no real idea what to look for when buying, best location for hives etc.

Really need help for those first steps

Duncan

• Like 1

Just a wee tip, you can put a normal single box up a tree, doesn't have to bee small. Slather wax on the frames extra thick and roll a bit on the inside of the box too, the smellier the better. Some swarms just too big for a nuc box. Make sure that if you do that you can get it back to the ground should you get visitors! All the very best, keep reading.

I don't advise using comb in swarm boxes. The bees will make comb and fill it fast with nectar. If it's an old queen she be laying real fast and the will build around the eggs and growing babies. Swarms on good tucker are machines.

I don't advise using comb in swarm boxes. The bees will make comb and fill it fast with nectar. If it's an old queen she be laying real fast and the will build around the eggs and growing babies. Swarms on good tucker are machines.

to add, no comb forces the swarm to use up the stores it carries with it. helps a bit with AFB, and imho can also help make them stay.

Duncan, you should try to hook up with a beekeeper in your area and go with them to their apiary for a few weekends you will get invaluable experience. One of the clubs could buddy you up with someone willing. Good luck

Thanks for the post Kevin, finding someone to mentor me for those vital first weeks has been my biggest problem, nearest club is Waikato nearly 2 hours from me and meetings at 7.30 in the evenings, however thanks to a really prompt and helpful response from Judy of BOP interest group I am much more hopeful and will attend their meet up on Sunday.

• Like 3