I'm pretty sure it's not Tuesday and I'm also sure it's not 5.30-6.30pm either!

It's getting ridiculous all the form filling and regulations.

This on top of the new health and safety nightmare just makes me want to pull my hair out.

Useless pen pushers who do nothing productive to help grow NZ.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They want us to be "Listed" (and pay a fee) not register as an exporter. That is if we supply a RMP outfit with honey for export to countries that require assurances.

A difference that is significant I think. "Listed" not registered as an exporter.

Neither I nor any director, partner or manager of the applicant have been convicted, whether in New Zealand or overseas, of any offence relating to fraud or dishonesty, or relating to management control or business activities in respect of businesses of a kind (whether in New Zealand or elsewhere) that are regulated under the Animal Products Act 1999

And if one of us had been convicted of fraud or dishonesty?
What then?

Aaaaagh ..then in their infinite wisdom they may think twice about accepting the application.........

Makes you wonder where you stand if you are self employed have prior dishonesty convictions and sell honey to packers who export.

The more I think about it the angrier I get.

Why has this rule been made ? what's the purpose of it?

Who sits around making up all these rules that have fees attached to them?

I would like to charge MPI for my time spent filling in their forms. In fact before they can access my information they must register themselves with our beekeeping company and pay a fee.

Forms & templates Here........I think.....

So that's not anywhere in the link that was attached to the email.

How did you find it?

• Like 1

Wow .... ok ... disregard my previous posts in thread!:confused::eek::oops::rolleyes::what::cautious:

What a freaking shambles! How is the average beek sposed to fid that?

At least its cheaper. if they don't ping you for the hourly "I don't know how to do my job so it took a while" rate...

• Like 1
You gotta wonder about an organisation which cannot even embed the correct link into an email

Wonder no more, it'll be because the bosses are so worried about their responsibilities & meeting each other to talk about them they've not got enough time to do anything other than issue orders giving yet more stuff to the superannuitant admin/reception ladies who are the only ones who understand the phone system and can stand the work culture and who have to cope with constant ongoing/staff/policy/IT/office/payroll/ changes/angry callers/visitors etc.

I wrote to MPI Approvals this am for clarification and have just got their reply.

For background, we are beekeepers who do not extract or pack any honey. We send boxes to Arataki for extraction and they buy the honey at that point.

MPI's reply was:

Hi Deanna,

Under the new regulations, all beekeepers who are non-RMP operators and supply honey to other RMP operators for export with an MPI export certificate must be listed.

Please see attached a copy of the form that would need to be completed.

Kind regards,

Philippa Vruink

It is the AP14 form which someone else mentioned. Attached to this post.

The thing that worries me here is the many local hobbyists who send a box or four to Arataki each season, and deal with their tutin risk that way. A good number of them won't want to pay the fee ($178.25 incl GST), and we could end up seeing Tutin problems as a result.

AP14-beekeeper-listing.pdf

AP14-beekeeper-listing.pdf

Unless the small family owned business is not Ltd. Even your beloved Google will come up short.

I got the email too.

I can't help thinking there as been some mistake been made. They want me to register as a exporter but only if I export my bee product to certain country's.

But I don't export anything, I sell all my bee products to a middle man ( honey, wax, propolis ) after the cheque clears I have no idea where it goes, and frankly I don't care.

MPI have, through Asure Quality all my information, number of hives, where they are etc.

MPI have through the extraction plant I use, tonnage, where every box of honey came from, which drum it goes in, weight of each drum, certified tutin compliance, afb compliance.

My honey buyer tells me that all my honey goes to Australia. So if that's true, I don't need to register to be a exporter. If he sends one drum to timbucktoo I'm going to be all's sorts of trouble.

I think your final line is the important one

...I don't need to register to be a exporter. If he sends one drum to timbucktoo I'm going to be all's sorts of trouble...

(and without being a pedant I am not sure whether Mali (Timbuctoo is the capital..)) requires honey export under an RMP. I think the point is the exporter will be in trouble, not you, if they try to export honey to countries on the RMP list that comes from an unregistered non-listed source.

Therefore the likely response will be all exporters will ask their suppliers to register so they have flexibility and ease of operations. The regs to Australia reflect the harmonised trading plans between the two countries where there is a special relationship and a joint food safety approach and board. I don't know how much trading goes on between exporters as they create certain blends......but unless the honey has RMP approval it won't form part of the trade in future. This move by MPI may effectively require all honey for export to be extracted under RMP.

It occurred to me today that the fee that they are charging is waaaaaay over the cost of implementing the system and inputting the data. Say 20min of data inputing by someone who, if we are being generous is earning $25/hour... even with the cost of setting this up and their business overheads they will be raking it in...especially as once the data is in the system the yearly cost will be practically 0 if there is no change to your business details. Like many beekeepers, I suspect, if I felt that all of this paperwork and money was actually resulting in tighter control of tainted honey (tbh I'm not sure if this is even much of a problem in NZ as it is no longer my area of expertise or interest), or was helping to identify hive thefts or the location of these hives I would be more receptive to it. Seems like it is actually straight revenue gathering, any assistance that may come from this to the actually beekeeper will likely be tiny.

I have the same feelings towards the AFB management agency tbh. Charge me a levy, fine, now show me what exactly you are doing other than publishing a very pretty (and totally inaccurate) map of afb occurances and reporting them by regions.

Is this just a case of more cost being lumped on those at the bottom of the food chain to help out the packers/large corporates that are making the money for their shareholders, dumping hives over the small operators and have no love for bees?

I would like to ask what has changed this year from all the previous years of supplying honey? why do we now need to be listed with MPI, What is the reason?

what will having us listed do for MPI? why do they need that information and what will they be doing with the information?

our honey is extracted in an RMP facility, tutin tests are done, why do they need us to pay a fee and be listed?

Oh great another tax! One would be forgiven these days for thinking that the governments of today and all of its associated departments , council included have been given the green light on finding as many ways possible to tax the population to death. Even taxing them repeatedly for the same things and hoping that people are to stupid to notice the difference. A bit like having a noose around your neck and some over paid politician swinging on the end of the rope.

• Like 2
I would like to ask what has changed this year from all the previous years of supplying honey? why do we now need to be listed with MPI, What is the reason?

what will having us listed do for MPI? why do they need that information and what will they be doing with the information?

our honey is extracted in an RMP facility, tutin tests are done, why do they need us to pay a fee and be listed?

I cant remember who the speaker was at the conference inRotorua, but the answer to a similar question was that countries we are exporting to are asking more and more for evidence of the "whole" supply chain to given in the exporting documentation. A similar system is in place in the sawmilling industry. MPI oversee all exporting industry so it is simply them asking for the information to then be be able to present to the end customer. If you dont supply the information you dont get to supply your honey to the oversees market. Simple.

If you dont supply the information you dont get to supply your honey to the oversees market. Simple.

It might be simple but it's just another beaurocratic foot trip that people have to pay to do business.The information I am giving MPI is hardly of interest to the end buyer.

But let's all just roll over and let it happen without a whisper because that's what we always do here in good old NZ

I cant remember who the speaker was at the conference inRotorua, but the answer to a similar question was that countries we are exporting to are asking more and more for evidence of the "whole" supply chain to given in the exporting documentation. A similar system is in place in the sawmilling industry. MPI oversee all exporting industry so it is simply them asking for the information to then be be able to present to the end customer. If you dont supply the information you dont get to supply your honey to the oversees market. Simple.

Are these countries also asking that everyone pay an exorbitant fee to a bunch of fat cats who do nothing other than shuffle papers. If the true associated costs were what you paid, no one would mind but all government departments seem to find an opportunity to get there hooks in and then let you have it with both barrels. The fact that there is a lack of transparency when ever it comes to the fees we pay in every aspect of our lives means we can be merrily bled to death and we should always just believe that it is just the way it has to be. There does seem to be this mentality in this country that because kiwis quietly take what ever is dished out [ no matter how unfair ]

that it is now open slather.

Just another thought before I log off, maybe the MPI has got the word exporting mixed up with the word extortion. By for now and thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 1