Bee-friendly Hedge Plant Options

We need to put in a new hedge, about 45m long to replace 12 year old neglected griselinia 'hedge' that was left to turn into out of control trees. Ideally, I want to plant an edible hedge, that grows to about 1.7m. We are in lower Oropi, Tauranga in a pretty sheltered area, but can get hit by a southerly whack that just took out a beautiful titoki :-( And the hedge will be on that boundary. I am thinking blueberry or cranberry; possibly hazelnut. We have fijoea trees already and too many of those go to waste, so probably not a fijoea hedge. Non-edible options I was thinking was abelia grandiflora or pohutukawa (vibrance or kermadec). Any insights or other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Rachel

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naturally Natives have some help on their website.

@Rachel Dell please inform of your progress... I am too currently landscaping, trying to decide on the best hedging.

Thanks

Thanks @cee\-bees . These guys are at the top of our hill. Perhaps I will go have a chat to them. Yes, will let you know what we end up deciding to do. We've got lots of planting changes to make to the property.

• Like 1

Gorse seed was originally introduced and widely used in NZ for making hedges in lieu of fencing. That was a 'few' years ago and ended badly. Great for the bees, but I guess you wanted it edible for people. Blueberries are lovely, but they require acidic soil. I can conclusively say, (at my cost) that Blueberries don't grow well in Papamoa. Some people seem to have success with half barrels. But 45m of blueberries sounds delicious if it proves your soil is suitable. If you had to buy 90 plants, that adds up and they'd be quite fragile for a while. Do you have lots of citrus already?

Indian Hawthorn...Rhaphiolepis indica, bees go mad over the stuff. Judging by the plant we've got it'll grow in anything.

And no, it doesn't have spines, and it doesn't spread all over the valley. And I think it's coming into flower right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If the site is a bit exposed to wind blueberry, cranberry & citrus won't do very well & are slow to establish. If looking at natives, Karo, some of the Psuedopanix, Corokia, smaller cultivars of Pohutukawa that you mentioned & Flax are all good options. Edible which are wind tolerant are Gauva, Olives & Fejoa. Sometimes by mixing plants up than mono crop/ hedging offers a variety of food over an extended period of time & saves on maintenace.

• Like 2
We need to put in a new hedge, about 45m long to replace 12 year old neglected griselinia 'hedge' that was left to turn into out of control trees. Ideally, I want to plant an edible hedge, that grows to about 1.7m. We are in lower Oropi, Tauranga in a pretty sheltered area, but can get hit by a southerly whack that just took out a beautiful titoki :-( And the hedge will be on that boundary. I am thinking blueberry or cranberry; possibly hazelnut. We have fijoea trees already and too many of those go to waste, so probably not a fijoea hedge. Non-edible options I was thinking was abelia grandiflora or pohutukawa (vibrance or kermadec). Any insights or other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Rachel

What about a lovely winter flowering Feijoa sellowina?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...