tudor

Excluders

The statement was recently made within the Dunedin BK Club:

"Best Practice: Queen excluders are an essential component of the hobbyist (sic), assisting in the control over the bees' most deadly parasite, the Varroa mite that lives in the bees' body and within cells."

Would bee keepers like to comment ?

Thanks.

Hi,

How does it control Varroa Mites? I would ask them to explain that one?

Hi,

How does it control Varroa Mites? I would ask them to explain that one?

Modern excluders have microscopic little brushes on them that knock the varroa off and they can't get back on... Didn't you know?

• Like 1

I think that's to restrict queen laying to brood box

I think it's implied that you can't treat varroa without one ...

I think the statement's rubbish.

"essential"? No.

In an occasional case where queens go a bit rampant (laying up through five boxes in random frames, for example), helpful to keep the brood nest in a sensible shape so treatment can be applied effectively and without impacting honey? Yes.

• Like 2

I think that's to restrict queen laying to brood box

I think it's implied that you can't treat varroa without one ...

I think it's a lot easier to place strips if the brood is confined. I don't know if that is simply a mindset that would change if I tried letting the bees make their own brood nest size.

I bet I know who said that ;). If it's the person I am thinking of, they have heartfelt beliefs that we cannot change and will just have to live with.

I always use excluders but I don't think they are much help with varroa apart from confining the brood nest to certain boxes (unless queenie gets above the excluder).

Modern excluders have microscopic little brushes on them that knock the varroa off and they can't get back on... Didn't you know?

patent that

Would you like to comment @Stephen Black , you have given me good advice on management without excluders.

Thanks.

the Varroa mite that lives in the bees' body and within cells."

haven't seen too many varroa inside bee bodies. Then again, i don't dissect too many bees either...

"Best Practice: Queen excluders are an essential component of the hobbyist (sic), assisting in the control over the bees' most deadly parasite, the Varroa

not essential. A less vertically elongated brood nest makes it easier to decide where to place strips. But, essential? there are plenty of hives around that have never seen a queen excluder and have had varroa controlled effectively. You could use the dunedin beekeeping club hives as an example of that.