August 2016 Apiary Diary

Put MAQS into grumpy hive yesterday afternoon, had a look today 24 hours later and there were 300 ish dead bees around the landing board some blocking the enterance and 500 ish varroa on sticky board under hive, one noticable thing about the hive is usually when I get within 2 meters of the hive I get attacked, but this time the bees were calm and bearding a little bit up the side of the box, they probably had other things on their mind like the formic acid that suddenly apaired in their hive rather than chasing me off.

I did read that you can experience a hit of dead bees when using MAQS, and also read that an old queen may get knocked off, I wouldn't mind knocking off the grumpy queen, but not quite yet!

• Like 1
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got round must of my hives this last 3 days busy times ahead zero losses so far if I include a double queen hive I placed a queen excluder between the two boxes making up for the nuc I lost to wasps 760 frames waxed in the last few days just about used up all our drawn out frames .No Afb so far lots of capped brood to check good laying patterns happy tired bee keeper /pig farmer

• Like 3
After a totally horrible 18 months or more of sucky long 12 hour days of work at the sawmill and running our own business I now am starting to see some daylight at the end of the tunnel. Today I managed to get some Beehive jobs done then out to the veggie garden that has been a total disgrace and embarrassment for me. All overgrown and lying fallow. Double digging and buried most of the weeds at the bottom of the trench. Ended up finishing with my beesuit on as there were a couple of grumpy bees hassling me. Lots more weeding and tidying up to but a really good start made. Garlic and Strawberries to go in now.

[ATTACH=full]14354[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]14353[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]14355[/ATTACH]

That is nice looking brown dirt in your garden..

Rather than..........sand?

Plants will be in soon.

Rather than heavy yellow,/grey clay that dries to concrete in the summer .

I put as much sand in my garden as possible.

My garden is on parkahi .

I have no verticle horizon to speak of , the plants all compete for space in the top 6 inches

Your situation looks like you have a good depth of soil

• Like 1
Rather than heavy yellow,/grey clay that dries to concrete in the summer .

I put as much sand in my garden as possible.

My garden is on parkahi .

I have no verticle horizon to speak of , the plants all compete for space in the top 6 inches

Your situation looks like you have a good depth of soil

Yeah one to one and a half shovel depth of topsoil.

• Like 2
Suffering ? What is there to suffer from ? ( apart from having to feed bees for the first time ever)

Is that cause you took off too much honey.

Or is it cause the bees kept breeding through our non existent winter and ate up their stores

Its a sacrifice some have to make. Thank you for that @yesbut you are appreciated, and we hope you arent suffering too much down there.

Does it flood at your place, good soil seems to be in low lying places

Is that cause you took off too much honey.

Or is it cause the bees kept breeding through our non existent winter and ate up their stores

Does it flood at your place, good soil seems to be in low lying places

No we are on the top of long ridge. Good friable topsoil right through the South Waikato. Even after a month of rain it is quite dry now, we could actually do with a day or two of rain.

• Like 1

Out and about this afternoon putting varroa treatments in to last last few apiaries. One site that over wintered very well has fresh nectar coming in - like a flow actually. One of the hives is already 7 frames of brood with newly emerged Drones and about 100 Drone cell ready to emerge. Top box of 2 is back filled with fresh nectar...next trip out is to take some boxes with drawn foundation frames for the queen to expand in to, there are soooo many bees. If this is the same situation for other bee keepers , swarms will be around by the end of September if not before I am predicting.

• Like 2

Two apiaries that are at a higher elevation are about 3 weeks behind in build up compared to the town and lowland farm sites. Shame as they are the bulk of my hives and I can't bring them down to the better apiaries due to land owner imposed limits. I will just have to hang in there as they will rocket off once the bush kicks in. And it is just starting to show signs of flowers developing. I might work on locating some winter/spring sites to bring these down to at the end of this season.

Bees are all flat out as are we. I've worked out if I wax 200 frames a night it will take me to about pellet 6 to lose the plot completely still waiting on boxes so have a chance to ease up for a week. Cell starters have now had a make over finisher hives have 8 or more frames of brood at different stages fed out pollen sub for the first time ever and they love it ,was like I had dropped in fresh cells covered in bees before I put the lids on .

Lots of real pollen coming in but they are burning through it as fast as they can .

• Like 1

its certainly been nice to be out with the bees.

of interest have had a few hives where i've had to pull brood out of them to slow them up. some have just taken off like rockets. with typical wet spring weather around the corner, very easy for them starve to death.