August 2016 Apiary Diary

Picked up some of our frames yesterday 5 more pellets to go today hate diving in town now might be getting older. waxed up 200 last with the help of the kids so might have to start a book on how long it's before they give up .

20160818_154609.jpg.68ff95c6efe6e45dd0a4132f50710640.jpg

IMG_20160818_184840.jpg.64e47e31b97450069645c5010f1365e3.jpg

IMG_20160818_163523.jpg.6fcf315137def61fcd54edb8c2c160e8.jpg

IMG_20160818_184840.jpg.64e47e31b97450069645c5010f1365e3.jpg

IMG_20160818_163523.jpg.6fcf315137def61fcd54edb8c2c160e8.jpg

20160818_154609.jpg.68ff95c6efe6e45dd0a4132f50710640.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have completed all my initial hive checks today. MAQS in all hives along with a Feedbee pollen patty. No hive losses and only 1/3 of the hives needed a little bit of syrup. Willows are starting to green up so it will be all on pretty soon.

No more than a handful of drones around with most hives having no drone brood at all.

Weather is wonderful and the bees are working hard.

Looking forward to a great season.

• Like 3
Not the best way to end a day of inspecting hives :(

it certainly sucks. dosn't matter how many you do, its still horrible.

now the question is how did you catch it?

to be developed this time of year odds are someone nearby has had a rob out late autumn.

Apparently Dallas has done his first graft and the cells go into splits on Wednesday. Personally I'll wait another week or two before I get my Jenter kit out.

I have completed all my initial hive checks today. MAQS in all hives along with a Feedbee pollen patty. No hive losses and only 1/3 of the hives needed a little bit of syrup. Willows are starting to green up so it will be all on pretty soon.

No more than a handful of drones around with most hives having no drone brood at all.

Weather is wonderful and the bees are working hard.

Looking forward to a great season.

Trev, how did you configure your hives before putting in the MAQS? Did you seal the hives up like was suggested by some on past forums, or open enterance or lift front of hive as per instruction on box? Cheers

Trev, how did you configure your hives before putting in the MAQS? Did you seal the hives up like was suggested by some on past forums, or open enterance or lift front of hive as per instruction on box? Cheers

No no no. Just the hive mat to protect the Galv lid from the rust making fumes.

Mine are all on mesh bases which remain open

As @M4tt said. I use Hive Doctor semi ventilated floors. I opened them to the full width and put the strips on the bottom brood box. I will close up to the narrow width when i next visit the hives in about 2 weeks.

MAQS into all remaining untreated hives today, along with a complete AFB check and scraping propolis and wax off frames from tops, sides etc.

Swapped positions of a couple of weak hives with stronger ones .

All hives are weaker again than last inspection and most are nearly out if honey. Feeders going on later this week

MAQS into all remaining untreated hives today, along with a complete AFB check and scraping propolis and wax off frames from tops, sides etc.

Swapped positions of a couple of weak hives with stronger ones .

All hives are weaker again than last inspection and most are nearly out if honey. Feeders going on later this week

This is the time when the over wintered bees are dying off and replacement spring bees are still coming. Changing weather can catch a lot of foragers short of home too. It all adds to population decrease during this time period.

First diary note re my one hive: FD brood box # 2 went on top of the first FD box 5 days ago with foundation only frames; all but the outermost frames are now being drawn, with the bottoms of frames 3-7 already drawn and being filled with honey.

Brood on frames 4-8 of the bottom brood box, with roughly even split between capped / uncapped - possibly more uncapped.

One sugar shake test done for the first time, but no varroa found - presumed that was just a lucky break and put 2 Apivar strips in regardless.

Pursuing to do a split in the spring so put top feeder on with 1:1 sugar syrup - 2 kg's of sugar into 2 liters of water. Placed queen excluder between brood box and feeder to avoid getting the queen stuck in some odd spot. Cut cabbage tree leaves in half and put a bunch in as floats (no bracken handy).

• Like 1
One hive has single capped queen cell and marked queen. She hasn't really ramped up like the others. Could this be early supercedure? Tempted to let it run its course while keeping a close eye on it. Could be a useful learning experience.

Check today reveals that this queen is almost certainly turning drone layer. Not completely drones yet but plenty in places where they shouldn't be.

The QC was torn down. No sign of a virgin although didn't look hard. Plan A is to filter the bees through an excluder to remove queen(s) and merge through paper with an overwintered nuc.

• Like 1