August 2016 Apiary Diary

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stopped and had a chat with the land owner..The conversation went South real quick ..How are the bees going, WHAT did you do with all the honey you got last season ...and so on..Angry Angry Angry .. about everything.

Is that their normal demeanour ? If not, some type of support may not go astray.

Is that their normal demeanour ? If not, some type of support may not go astray.

With all the ridiculous hype and commentary on how much money we beekeepers are making landowners all think we are getting $1000 kg for our honey!

If I Was a landowner and thought that I would be grumpy too.

Wish there was more commonsense reporting of the real facts and figures

• Like 1

It's mainly all to do with there situation in life....counselling would be helpful in situations like this but only effective if it's not said to be counselling. And no not normal demeanour.

It's bit of a long story but not uncommon in the industry at the moment.

Best course of action in my opinion, make sure he gets some honey, dont increase your hive numbers and dont interact

with him any more than is expected.

Checked one of our sites today . Similar picture to others by the sounds . Autumn nucs have minimal stores , so gave them a feed . The stronger hives have plenty of stores and have fresh nectar coming in . Not sure of the source but good to see considering the weather we have had lately . Treatments going in now , a week later than last year according to my notes . I broke my ankle back in june , same leg that I broke previously , so its been a tough 12 months trying to get jobs done at all let alone on time ! We lost a few nucs at our apiary in town , usually good for wintering , but all hives there were hungry and a few nucs had starved . We fed them all and they have bounced back nicely (the survivors that is) .

• Like 2

Had to feed hives this week. Nucs and a few hives were very low on stores. They would not survive more than a few days without a feed I think. Had to clean up all the feeders I had and make syrup to feed.

I usually leave more than enough honey on all hives in autumn to make sure I don't need to feed but this year they have gone through them very fast. Not very impressed with the weather patterns.

• Like 1

Had a peek in the nucs made from the 3 Queen hive. They both have a pollen substitute as well. One of the queens doesn't look to flash and isn't laying much so will keep an eye on her I will requeen it in October.

In the meantime lots of pollen coming in and there is a small flow going on top.

• Like 1

Went through some hives today ,all got plenty of stores and between one and four frames of brood

One hive the pattern looked a bit odd so had a very close look ,riddled with varroa so have done an immediate oxalis acid and put strips in after.

Will have to keep a close eye on this hive .

Gave every hive on that site OA treatment

There is hardly any drone brood so to early to think about an early graft

• Like 2

I hope the weather stays nice and warmish like today.

Last week I did a full check and clean(broke brood nest; swapped frames between hives; apivar strips in; 500ml syrup). Some hives did not need the syrup but I would like to keep the queens on good speed.

Unfortunately few days ago the temps were a bit low but the hives had a quite good population.

Why. My hive mats are already sealed. Nothing on the instructions about wrapping the hives. More to the point is to open the hive fully.

To protect the Galvanised lids from the Formic vapour which makes them rust.