August 2016 Apiary Diary

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been on here for some time. Fed hives last week before the weather. Opened up the first one today to start mite treatment and found a nice strong double starved. The weird part is they still had half a feeder full of syrup. Sorry I don't carry my camera with me , so no pictures.

To the admin team, I do like the changes you have made.

Snow here, Its great.

Ive been out hefting and peeking.

The bees are doing what they should have done weeks ago.

Hunkered down rather than running around like mad things.

There are two ways I like to see the weather

Freezing cold or roasting hot.

The wind is blowing straight off the Central Platue, icy rain up here today

Snow here, Its great.

Ive been out hefting and peeking.

The bees are doing what they should have done weeks ago.

Hunkered down rather than running around like mad things.

There are two ways I like to see the weather

Freezing cold or roasting hot.

I checked my hives today, we finally had a lovely sunny day.

They are doing much better after I moved them into the hakea after a bad season where they suffered from being robbed.

How ever I have decided , after reading all the opinions on the forum over the last two years, that the best circumstances for healthy hives are a warm calm spring, a good summer flow and cold winter with a complete shut down and brood brake.

Especially since the advent of varroa.

No amount of climate change in any direction is likely to creative those conditions where I live.

I will always have a ####ty windy spring

An unpredictable summer

A warm winter and no brood break

If varroa ever gets to Aussie I wonder how they will manage.

Now real hard, white frost, should help clean out wasps and wax moth.

Will also remove weak hives from the system.

So cold the bird syrup feeders had frosted over night, I broke the ice for them. Note to self, don't stand under feeder when breaking ice ...

• Like 3

It was nice to see the sun and some blue sky today freezing wind though, all hives at home bees bringing in loads of white pollen this afternoon with a few pollen laden casualties and chilled bees around most hives.

The country side around here is very water logged and a lot of damage done to pasture so it will be interesting to see how much clover is around through the season. Regardless of the weather there are fruit trees in blossom already.

• Like 2

ahahaha.. Dan, those vege garden pics are the most heartening thing I've seen today.

I remember sometime shortly after I met you online seeing photos of your vege garden, so huge and well tended, and looking out my kitchen window at what used to be my vege garden, languishing under pallets covered in bee gear.. and just shlumpfing.

but, hey, turns out you're human too. :D

• Like 2
ahahaha.. Dan, those vege garden pics are the most heartening thing I've seen today.

I remember sometime shortly after I met you online seeing photos of your vege garden, so huge and well tended, and looking out my kitchen window at what used to be my vege garden, languishing under pallets covered in bee gear.. and just shlumpfing.

but, hey, turns out you're human too. :D

Yep found these pics today. Back in the day.......

Getting some motivation back now.

DSCF1937.JPG.4fcbe95d0392cb82efddeaed7c60466a.JPG

DSCF2635.JPG.9799a4ff709e6d240d7dd39448395c67.JPG

DSCF2633.JPG.430482f6d1b278e58c3106f155a586fe.JPG

DSCF1229.JPG.90d396de1ce0621716db67146bf47219.JPG

DSCF1232.JPG.6d38f7c436f1def1dbc82deb515d8ca3.JPG

DSCF2635.JPG.9799a4ff709e6d240d7dd39448395c67.JPG

DSCF2633.JPG.430482f6d1b278e58c3106f155a586fe.JPG

DSCF1229.JPG.90d396de1ce0621716db67146bf47219.JPG

DSCF1232.JPG.6d38f7c436f1def1dbc82deb515d8ca3.JPG

DSCF1937.JPG.4fcbe95d0392cb82efddeaed7c60466a.JPG

• Like 3
Haven't been whitebaiting

I know what you mean Frazz...but my reason hasn't been bees,yet... I have only heard about and seen on TV the awesome whitebaiting down your way..one day I would like to come to the south and sample some of that baiting!

Our season starts next Mon..so heres to time for baiting!!(y)

• Like 1
For me, with the hours I was working along with some major stress levels life went on hold for a while. Got it sorted now and working now to get back to my happy place.

Work life balance is very important...oh how big companies love to soak up staff members time and encroach on there family time. I say this just turning down a training coarse in Christchurch for end of September next is the take home work phone :mad:

next is the take home work phone :mad:

I know what that's like...being on call 24/7..worst thing was being called out for a jump start or top radiator up..grrrr

That's in the past now ,have a more work/life friendly roster job...operating instead of fixing...for now!

• Like 1
Hey Dan,just curious ..are those 3/4s now with bees or just a decoration making you garden look good??;)

Yes I transferred them over yesterday. They were going for it today. There must have been an orientation flight this afternoon. Really busy in front of the hives. Lots of pollen coming in.

Unloaded some boxes I have had on the Ute for about a week. I picked them up from an apiary I moved from last season. Vacant house and the locals moved in. Lots of slaters in the boxes so it was probably a perfect delicatessen for them. Unfortunately the first one has been half squished and it's back half wasnt moving. The other one was very lively.

20160810_115855.jpg.ea9e1bc0c91ab66e42891d926bd02c7f.jpg

20160810_114900.jpg.c99479842a96d84096cbf1ea0e7308fc.jpg

20160810_114900.jpg.c99479842a96d84096cbf1ea0e7308fc.jpg

20160810_115855.jpg.ea9e1bc0c91ab66e42891d926bd02c7f.jpg

• Like 1

Started on my second round of sugar shakes. Fairly similar results to two weeks ago, but this time MAQS are going in any hive 3 or above. Hive strength ranges from 1/3 of a box of bees up to a full box. There is a bit of mould appearing on some outside frames. Nectar and pollen is plentiful. One hive had some drones , but they are not from that hive.

My winter virgin is laying drones, no surprise there, so got squished and merged with the single next door , making a strong 2 box hive .

No DWV that I could see. Everything looks good

• Like 4

Hive checks on dairy farm site this morning, first hive no outside activity lid and hive mat off..no bees, second hive lots of bees no food :( checked the other four hives they are happily cruising along with plenty of stores lots of bees and brood one even had drone cells on top of frames between supers, without the usual varroa on the larvae.

All treated with Apivar ...will be checking the hungry one in a couple of weeks to see how it's going.

Stopped and had a chat with the land owner..The conversation went South real quick ..How are the bees going, WHAT did you do with all the honey you got last season ...and so on..Angry Angry Angry .. about everything.

• Like 1