Re certifying the crane. In theory this should happen but in practice no one I know has looked into certification of the crane itself (in the ezyloader case) I do know that if it is mounted to a vehicle requiring a COF then certification of the mounting is required, however when fitted to a WOF vehicle no cert is needed.

Thanks Harlan looks like you are correct. I have just called Whangaparoa Engineering who do crane certification. What they told me is there is a voluntary code of practise that will apply to the fitting of an ezyloader to a vehicle requiring a WOF.

To comply, the initial install should be checked and certificated, and thereafter an annual certification done, they think the annual certification would cost around $300. But it is voluntary. So the way that works is if there is an accident, but you are certificated, things will go easy for you. But if you are not certificated the judge may come down hard. But it is your own choice wether to get certificated.

What I think I'll do is get Whangaparoa Engineering to fit the unit and intially certificate it so that I know the install is compliant. After that I'll get an annual certification done if I feel like it.

• Like 1

Yes one crowd I looked up said they can certify the crane in around a 6 hour inspection.

Govt always like to complicate everything.

Try SGS, a nation wide inspection outfit.

I spoke with a mate today who runs a branch for a national crane hire company

He says no big deal.

6 hours is a crock, dont go there.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but cranes do have to be certified annually. Could affect insurance if any accident involving your crane was to happen ie if its not certified, insurance company wont pay out - we know how they will worm their way out of paying a claim. Just had my truck crane and a few other local beekeepers cranes certified by a guy who did them all in one day. Another cost to add to the list!

On a truck (cof) yes they need certification

On a class one vehicle (wof) no they don't need certification

On a truck (cof) yes they need certification

On a class one vehicle (wof) no they don't need certification

A little Grey

Where a truck loader type crane is not fitted to a heavy motor vehicle, this certificate is not required. A CPEng certificate for the installation may be required by the inspection body depending on the application. Likewise, a stability test may not be required/appropriate for non-vehicular applications.

There may be a distintion between car and trailer cranes.

Some Homework is required here

My certifier said WOF didn't need a cert, it was my choice so as to future proof myself in case anything changed and thought the insurance company would like it.

Like a tow bar on COF needs cert on WOF cert not needed

When i first started an old Bee Man said to me "James ... go buy the best gear you can afford so when the time comes to quit you've something worth selling." He also said not buy any machinery that was too job specific, as again when you come to sell you've only got a limited market to sell into. If everyone is trying to sell their ezilift you not gonna get too much for it.

He was right. We have custom bee crane that no one wants and three Palfingers that everyone wants.

When i first started an old Bee Man said to me "James ... go buy the best gear you can afford so when the time comes to quit you've something worth selling." He also said not buy any machinery that was too job specific, as again when you come to sell you've only got a limited market to sell into. If everyone is trying to sell their ezilift you not gonna get too much for it.

He was right. We have custom bee crane that no one wants and three Palfingers that everyone wants.

You may be astonished by the actual cost of building one of these.

A Palfinger is in another league with regard cost.

There is however a reason why there is such a thing as these Beehive Cranes

Its because they suit the specific requirements of the Job and are easily and inexpensively fitted to a trailer.

It has just one electrical component (Winch)

It is much faster to load hives with one of these cranes and they are ideally suited to setups where hives are located as singles or doubles.

These Cranes are easily operated by one person and unlike Knuckle Boon Cranes, these have very inexpensive remote control systems

For example, the remote control unit that operates the winch costs $39.00 and that includes the receiver and two sender units.

Ive used these for a season in all weather and they are very good.

If and when I finish with this Crane, Ill sell it to another Beek, Truck/ Tractor Tire Fitter, general delivery operator (given that it can lift over 300kgs at over half max reach) or into any number of other industries.

you are right PhilBee .... horses for courses .

The palfinger is worth about $25,000. I think it's actually cheaper than one of the quick lifts from Waimea. has a lift rating of a bit over 2000 kg so we can lift two pallets at a time with a 7.5m reach to go over fences etc. No levelling or nothing.

The remote is off the shelf from Apollo in Auckland running air rams welded onto the manual palfinger controls.

It was quite pricey ..... but it's a pleasure to use.

I Get my crane inspsected annually, it takes probably less than an hour at about $300, as @MackAp said we get a group of local beekeepers together and get inspector in. first time was a bit longer as they stamp your crane with a number, one of the most important things is stability, it must be able to stay stable lifting the load the crane is spec to, so if you put a oversized crane on which can lift more than the truck can handle you will probably never get it certified unless you go to all lengths to set up stabilising systems. they also look at how its mounted, check all pins, lifting hook, hoses, structure etc and do a load test, when you have staff I thinks its a no brainer to get done. As mentioned here ute mounted WOF lifters do not require this, at this stage, COF cranes must have an engineer sign off the mounting best to get them involved as soon as you think about mounting. The pal finger cranes are not that expensive these days its the mounting and deck modifications that add up, I think my crane itself was little over $9000, but hydrallics engineer deck modifications took project to a bit over $20,000.