CraBee

Experience in waxing plastic frames in paraffin dipper?

We dipped once - never again! Spray it on or roll it. Dipping uses a huge amount of wax and one spends the next few seasons scraping it off side bars, top bars, bottom bars..

we have wax in excess of 100,000 plastic frames and it was all done with roller works fine on brand new frames, since we started cleaning the frames rolling was to slow, i invested in a cheap sprayer to try do a automatic spray set up but i needed frames done and this kind of set up was going to take time to develop, so one of my workers cranked up the dipper filled it with wax and went to it, took a couple boxs to master but , now i wouldnt do it any other way, as far as wax filling in all the gaps etc you must be doing it wrong, yes you probably use more wax but as kiwifruiter said its less the bees have to do, and they will move it around to suit anyway. when we crank it back up i will take a video and some photos.

• Like 4

I solved all my waxing problems by going back to wooden frames. I have dipped, rolled and brushed plastic frames in the past. The biggest problem I had with dipping was the bees sticking the end bars to the boxes which they do anyway with plastic frames but it seemed worse with the dip frames. Rollers worked fine on new frames using oil based paint rollers. A 4 inch bristle brush and an old electric frypan works really well for redoing old frames that have been scraped down and cleaned up. If you use a roller on these frames they will soon clog up.

Never use paraffin where it might end up being mixed with beeswax. Even if bees worked it and that's something I don't know, no honey buyer is going to want your honey and the paraffin would definitely contaminate the wax which would make it unsellable and for anyone else unusable. New Zealand honey and wax receive much better than average world prices because they both have less contaminants than most places and we need to do everything we can to keep it that way.

one of the tricks once you have done the dip is to rub both sides against the walls of the dipper to get rid of excess wax, honestly if you saw our dipped frames you would not belive they have been dipped they look better than sprayed and also eliminates any missed spots from rolling but hey it all comes down to what suits individules.

As for plastic sticking more to the sides of boxs i would say that wood is worse but thats the same old argument that wood vs plastic ends in, if you like wood use it if you like plastic then use that just whatever you prefer or find more practical/ecnomical, everyone has there own reason why they chose one or the other.

• Like 5