Adam O'Sullivan

Honey processing.

when it is pumped into the drums we take an inline sample

not sure if thats practical for very small volumes where there is a lot of variability in a run.

small tank with stirrer is not hard to rig up.

on a commercial scale it gets expensive if you have to tutin test every drum rather than a homogenized vat.

if you have a 10 drum vat with stirrer you only pay for one test, not 10 tests.

I have had an email from MPI backing up the process for honey extraction for hobby beeks. There always seems ongoing confusion as to what the actual rules are regarding kitchen facilities and food handling certification. Just talk to your local council and get a copy of The Scope of Opetations as mentioned above and they will have other documentation around Registration under the Food Act. NP1

Hi Jill,

You don’t need a commercial kitchen under the food act you can use your home kitchen as long as it’s safe and suitable.

You don’t require a food handling certificate to open a business since March 2016.

Regards,

Please tell us how we did - click the following link to provide feedback on our responseEmail enquiries

Danielle Walley | Customer Enquiries Co-ordinator

Ministry for Primary Industries - Manatū Ahu Matua

Pastoral House 25 The Terrace | PO Box 2526 | Wellington 6140 | New Zealand

| Web: www.mpi.govt.nz | Follow MPI on Twitter (@MPI_NZ)

I have had an email from MPI backing up the process for honey extraction for hobby beeks. There always seems ongoing confusion as to what the actual rules are regarding kitchen facilities and food handling certification. Just talk to your local council and get a copy of The Scope of Opetations as mentioned above and they will have other documentation around Registration under the Food Act. NP1

Hi Jill,

You don’t need a commercial kitchen under the food act you can use your home kitchen as long as it’s safe and suitable.

You don’t require a food handling certificate to open a business since March 2016.

Regards,

keep in mind that will be for extraction.

packing honey for sale is different.

NP1 needs a verifier to sign off on the kitchen, seems there are only 7 verifiers under who can do it and most are Auckland based

One would have thought MPI would have allowe council to be a verifier.

All up, it sounds simple but really isn't

Your local council is a verifier, you have the option of electing MPI or council. My local Council have just verified mt kitchen.. $160 and last for 2 years.

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1

Your local council is a verifier, you have the option of electing MPI or council. My local Council have just verified mt kitchen.. $160 and last for 2 years.

Did you have to do anything special to make your kitchen compliant?

I'm not sure on this but we don't homogenise ours, it is extracted in a tank and only stirred manually to get it to flow evenly through the pumps and when it is pumped into the drums we take an inline sample (a little tap runs out the side and honey trickles out whilst the drum is filled) and the sample is a representation of the whole drum, so you may be able to do an inline sample.

Now they want a comment on e cert now if it homogenise or not

• Like 1

No not at all, they just wanted to make sure that the cat was outside, also that there was a basin to wash your hands in (that wasn't the kitchen sink) and not too far away. The surfaces were clean and tidy. Just general hygiene. I also made a point of getting a proper cover over the light bulb as I know our rulings in the Dairy industry insist on covered lighting in the Dairy in case of a bulb exploding and contaminating the milk ..or in my case now the honey.

National Programme 1 applies to "extracting and packing honey [for sale]"

Steps for National Programme 1

i would be very surprised for them to be so lax when it comes to packing. that part usually has the most rules for good reason, after all its the final step before the customer.

Interesting, mine although they have been very helpful are not able to verify - seems odd that some do and not others

I was reading on the MPI website that approx 60 councils are able to verify, so I guess that does leave a few that don't want to work in that space.

Just seeing if I can resurrect this topic. The food technology kitchen at my school is licensed by the council as a food preparation facility. They are able to produce food for sale in it. Would this meet legal requirements if we used it to extract honey from the school hives? The aim is to have the students sell it as part of the Year 13 Agribusiness program or Young Enterprise. I have emailed MPI again but not having much luck getting a reply.

Ask them under what statute of law they are withholding a full and satisfactory response B| that might give them thought for a moment! It may also ensure animosity on their part towards you tho.

I think you may still have to register the school facility with your local authority as a "Honey House" and possibly need to go through the verification process for Honey Extraction & packing at NP1 level. I would start with the local Council (sadly).

7 hours ago, Markypoo said:

I have emailed MPI again but not having much luck getting a reply.

you would have to have a NP1 cert  or NP2 cert if you are going to cream it

i made homogenizer out of a windscreen wiper motor from a car and a stainless steel mixing paddle from a milking vat off a dairy farm. 12 volt, runs off a battery charger. and sits on a frame above the vat. works surprisingly well

• Like 2

On 19/04/2018 at 7:58 AM, Markypoo said:

Just seeing if I can resurrect this topic. The food technology kitchen at my school is licensed by the council as a food preparation facility. They are able to produce food for sale in it. Would this meet legal requirements if we used it to extract honey from the school hives? The aim is to have the students sell it as part of the Year 13 Agribusiness program or Young Enterprise. I have emailed MPI again but not having much luck getting a reply.

The MPI website is pretty clear. There is now no such thing as a licensed food kitchen, that was something from the old food act, the new food act 2014 is now itself no longer that new and is finished its transition period from the previous food act. About your only chance of evading the rules is to apply to donate the honey to the school, for which there is an exemption and then the school can sell the honey no problem. This too is on the MPI website and your local council will have the form to enable you to do it. Here is the link for the Tauranga one https://www.tauranga.govt.nz/Portals/0/data/council/forms/public_places/application_activity_in_a_public_place.pdf

You can sell food for fundraising up to 20 times per year and this is allowed for in the food act; that every council follows.

So, this allows legal extraction with rego and totally free apart from filling in forms. This is probably all you need (?).

If you want to have a business program that is realistic, then you really need to follow the food act according to the rules and working with your local council. This is part of the education process to teach your students (?). It could well be that the council might sponsor you to the extent of waiving your verification fees and/or that a private verifier (much much more expensive) will be prepared to waive their fees for NP1. Either way then you are left with the MPI fees, but this is only about $250 per two years? So, you would be set up as a  real business, but at minimal cost if the council will support you and there may be a process where you can apply for council assistance in terms of their annual grant, event funding or to campaign your councillors to make a special exception. The MPI fees are paid to the council and they forwards that money to MPI. So, it isn't out of the question that the council can sponsor that too, but it might be more of a stretch for them to actually give cold hard cash. This might be good to attempt in the second or third year if you have success with the whole thing.

Other things that might be possible are to apply for $1000 from untold pokie trusts, power company trusts, ASB Bank and various community and charitable trusts, this will give the students something to do. This would then give you the funds to go through the process with the council with cash in your pocket to get the job done.

12 hours ago, lexy said:

i made homogenizer out of a windscreen wiper motor from a car and a stainless steel mixing paddle from a milking vat off a dairy farm. 12 volt, runs off a battery charger. and sits on a frame above the vat. works surprisingly well

any pic's ?

8 hours ago, kevin moore said:

any pic's ?

not the best pics sorry. runs about 1 revolution per 3 seconds by memory. it tended to get hot after around 20 min under load so I put the motor in a nice hygienic housing and put a fan from a pc on it (also 12v running on the same circuit) after that i could leave it running as long as i needed.

figured out if i hook it up to a battery charger and then 'jump start it with a car battery' it tricked the battery charger into running it if you get what i mean.

vat goes underneath. made a lid with a slot so you can slide it on

PSX_20200116_202026.jpg

PSX_20200116_202141.jpg

PSX_20200116_202118.jpg

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1