Phil46

BOP extraction premises in BOP

Mornin,

Looking at options for small time extracting of honey,if need be this coming season and if there is a facility to do this in the BOP? ie registered kitchen,shed , that can be hired etc.

I do have access to extraction for end of the season from a known commercial,however, from the info I have gathered,heard and read about kanuka/pohutukawa honey,that there could be a problem with this honey crystallizing and the sooner its extracted ,the better.

So,without removing comb by scraping/crush strain methods ,I thought better to extract and then have frames back on hive sooner.

Any info greatly appreciated....mauri ora! Phil.

• Like 1

We don't have anything set up for this yet but it is certainly something we can discuss and work on as a group Phil.

Ae,ka pai to whakaaro Judy...yes that would be a good idea Judy ;)

I am including maori in my text as part of "Maori Language Week"...

• Like 3

I am including maori in my text as part of "Maori Language Week"...

Great! I am learning along the way :-)

Morena Judy,can u remind me to bring this up at next meeting plz...:love: tia.

It would be interesting to know what is the minimum volume for commercial extraction, plus where and who they all are. But not something I am ever likely to need (I'm doing crush and strain). I do know there is an extractor in Welcome Bay, there is another on direct road that you have to drive past if you going from Tauranga to our next meeting! Not to forget the extractor who kindly opened his doors to the Taratahi class. I'd imagine there are a whole heap more than that actually.

It might be completely impractical. But it might be nice if hobby beekeepers in the region had an extraction day en masse in a kind of nouveau Beaujolais carnival. It might be timed prior to Dec 31 Tutin deadline. It might suit the honeybee society or other to do a field day before or day after. A venue like the polytech food kitchens or the historic village might have a good fit if it was essentially idle in the holidays and available. If it was in term time, the tech restaurant students might actually cater to cover all the costs.

Probably best done with 3 or 4 like minded hobbyists and then allowed to expand in subsequent years if the formula really works. And assuming we have the regulatory bumpf in place.

There was a suggestion we might have some "club" hives at the TECT park. If so, then extraction from those hives could also be considered with that by way of demonstration/teaching. I read in another thread of Auckland Bee Club who apparently have an apiary at Unitech and extract there also. I wonder if the BoP polytech would want to consider running courses on extraction and food safety certification combined to attract bee people.

Too many ideas in one post, but maybe something in there could be useful.

@ChrisM there is already some interest from a local beekeeper to organise extraction on a smaller scale, I hope he will come along to the meeting on Sunday to talk with us. I imagine we can organise something before we all drown in our excess honey ;-). Club hives at TECT is something in the planning but so far we will have to wait and see what turns up really. For now we will just have personal hives at that apiary.

The number of boxes quoted by one commercial over these ways was around the 50 - 60 box minimum,i guess to pay for the setup,labour,processing,clean up,power and whatever else is required to run a plant.

Since my intial post,I have spoken to another 2 or 3 people from within the wider BOP district who may be able to help out with extraction,provide a premises or are looking for extracting as well.