Honey bee healthy recipe

While I was at conference someone asked for the lecithin component in the recipe I use for honey bee healthy. I can't remember what thread it was in sorry, so decided to start a new one.

I've used both the liquid lecithin and the granules - greatly prefer the granules for ease of use, the liquid is the consistency of tar and hard to wash off!

I use honey bee healthy mainly as a feeding stimulant, particularly early spring. It also helps prevent syrup going off. It has been claimed it helps both with nosema and varroa, but I can't say I've seen a particular impact on either.

Don't spill the syrup when feeding it out, with this stuff in it robbing can become an issue apparently (although again, I haven't particularly seen this issue).

And buy a dedicated blender to mix it, don't use mums one as it can be hard to get really clean afterwards. You have been warned.

Recipe

1 cup hot water (I use straight out of the hot tap, say 60-70 degrees. Don't use boiling water as it can burn the sugar)

Cold water supply

1 cup sugar (raw or white)

15ml lemongrass oil

15ml spearmint oil

15ml lavender oil

1 heaped teaspoon lecithin granules

1 drop ecostore shampoo

Put 1 cup hot water in blender with lecithin granules and blend for 30-60 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar while blending and 1 cup cold water. Continue to blend while adding the oils slowly (in a thin stream) over about a 60 second period. Add drop of shampoo and make up to 1L with cold water. Blend briefly.

This 1L I add to 100L heavy syrup (10ml/L syrup). If I'm using light syrup in spring this then gets diluted further by adding water.

People argue about the addition of shampoo (or dishwash liquid or similar) and some say it is not necessary. The one I've labelled above is basically plant based and does seem to help keep the oils emulsified. In any case you're talking 1 drop in 100L + of finished syrup and it doesn't seem to hurt the bees at all.

This stuff is quite pleasant to work with and has a nice scent - the girls like it when I've been mixing it in the kitchen. Don't leave the windows and doors open while you're mixing it though - if you've got hives nearby, bees will come inside for a look! It really is quite a strong attractant.

Apparently you can also use wintergreen oil (which smells and bit like that liniment stuff we used to use when playing footy in winter) but I haven't tried it.

I'm not making any claims here, just relaying what I do - use the above at your own risk.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic