Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dansar

Archive Warre hive No3

This is my latest hive - just the frames to make now. [attachment=1542:name]

Thanks Johnhi30

Dansar, more pics about floor, frame and roof inside please. Did you make a quilted box too?(the one to be fit under the roof) Do you have the 300x300mm inside?

Hi Kiwi Bee I dont have a pick of the floor yet. The floor is just a solid floor - not screened. I have some pics of my hive with bees in so I will post these as it is the same. [attachment=1545:name] Hive in the garden today - brood box on the floor, box with feeder jar sitting over mat, quilt box then the roof. [attachment=1546:name] Quilt box with hessian material holding pine shavings in for hive moisture absorbtion. [attachment=1547:name] Quilt box and feeder box removed. [attachment=1548:name] Feeder jar sitting over the hessian hive mat, this heavily propilised now.. [attachment=1549:name] Inside the roof where the quilt box resides. [attachment=1544:name] Air space through area under the roof .

Pics of the frames I make and bees building natural comb (no foundation) in my Warre hive. [attachment=1555:name]

Tthe internal dimensions are 300x300mm and 210 high. I will be changing my design to be 240mm high to allow the use of lang frames - shorten the top and bottom bars. volume wise it is about the same as an 8 frame medium lang

It looks very nice to me. You probably know many sites of ware beekeeping. Do you know this one? [url]http://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://ruche-warre.com/&ei=t9SyT9OVFq2ZiQeV7p3rCA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CHIQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.ruche-warre.com/%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D921%26prmd%3Dimvns[/url] The guy is a commercial beek in France with more than 600 ware hives.

Yes I have seen that site thanks

[quote name='dansar']This is my latest hive - just the frames to make now. [ATTACH]837[/ATTACH][/quote] I'm definatley tempted by the warre. I love the use of the frames around the NDC. Looks great, just not sure of the practicalieites around extraction :) Keep up the great work and the interesting images.

[quote name='Grant']I'm definatley tempted by the warre. I love the use of the frames around the NDC. Looks great, just not sure of the practicalieites around extraction :) Keep up the great work and the interesting images.[/quote] Grant I cant speak from experience yet, but what I have read you can do a number of things for honey harvest [LIST=1] [*]cut capped comb out and crush and strain [*]make sections for the frames and make "section comb honey" [*]Make "chunk" honey comb [*]Wire the frames if allowing NDC, scratch the comb cappings or use a uncapping knife and place the frames in a basket type centrifigal extractor - most comb will survive the process and you can put it back into the hive. [*]or get fancy & wire and insert foundation. for basket type centrifigal extraction. [/LIST] Go on you no you want one!!;)

Grant, I am sur eDansar will do a special deal for 2 or maybe 5:rolleyes:

Have look in the for sale section - NZBF members can get them at a great price:)

[quote="Trevor Gillbanks, post: 9029, member: 72"]Grant, I am sur eDansar will do a special deal for 2 or maybe 5:rolleyes:[/quote] Here they are, with a member discount no less (y) [URL="http://www.nzbees.net/forum/threads/warre-hive-with-frames.777/"]Warre hive - with frames[/URL]

I keep thinking that a Warre hive would be great for our bees to swarm to oneday, I'm sure the wife can be convinced but not so sure the bees will follow my thinking. Keen to see a finished example of your redesign for langs frames, would it be possible to have an enlarged Warre frame in there so as to see comparison within the hive as to how the bees handle different frames ?

The boxes will be 30mm taller to allow for the extra area the frame wood work takes up, providing a few precious cm2 of comb area back in the hive. The top and bottom bars will be shortened to keep the internal width of the box at 300mm x 300mm. so dimnsions are (internal) 240H x 300W x 300D = .0216m3 per box So nothing too dramtic in using Langstroth frame wood work, it just means less wood working for me to do to manufacture the hives. This website - [URL='http://www.thewarrestore.com']www.thewarrestore.com[/URL] amongst other things sells a modified Warre hive with modified Langstroth FD frames. By the way there is some good reading there as well.A lot of the info relates to the USA but I have picked out what is applicable to me and NZ conditions.

Just got a phone call today, and sold the hive, the new owner will be picking it up on Monday.:eek:runs out to shed to finsh the last 10 frames and final sand and finish the quilt box, got side tracked and washed my 50cc motorcycle.. 2 hrs later I finished what should have been a 30min job:), gotta love "going out to the shed"

I just looked in the shed and what do you know, there are another 4 hive lots of boxes and quilt boxes waiting for frames and floors to be made. Let me know when you want one before I get over run with order requests;)

Thanks Dansar, will these be Langstroth frame compatible as per your dimensions on your post above?

When I describe using langstroth frames they will need to be narrowed up a bit. The internal width is 300mm with 10mm rebates for the frame to rest on, so the top bar will need to be 320mm wide. I was planning to cut out a section from the top bar and join back together with a dowel joint. This would need to be done to the bottom bar as well. If you want one of my current hives in progress it will only cost you $180.00 as a NZBF member, any more will be at the current going rate of $230 each. Thanks Daniel

What you would be getting is a self spacing frame that is 30mm deeper than the current frames and hives I make. This is really to make up for the extra wood work inside the hive box. Originaly the Warre hive was used as a topbar hive so the bees filled comb right out to the sides of the box.