Rob Stockley

Hiveware assembly jigs

Here is a video on how to do it. Go to about 2m 40s for the cutting part.

• Like 2

I cut up about 12,000 end bars about a month ago and it took two of us most of the morning. It's an old gang saw with power feed and came out of a steam driven sawmill over 60 years ago. It will cut a four-inch board into six end bars in one pass. You do have to treat it with respect and it takes forever to set up but it sure does the job. There is no way I would cut up sticks individually and although you look like you've done a wonderful job on them I just can't see why anyone including manufacturers makes those horribly complicated frames when a simplicity frame is both so much easier and in my opinion better. They are also a lot quicker to make up and stack a lot easier. Cumulatively I have spent years working on saws so far without any accidents and one of the most important things I've found is to develop safe handling practices till they become automatic so that when you are distracted or tired you don't make that mistake. I've felt the wind off a saw a couple of times and re-evaluated how I was working. I still need my fingers so that at least I can count to 10.

Got to say, that gang saw that @john berry has is an absolute work of art! One of my 'when I get time' projects is building a self feeding gang saw.... If I ever get it done I will post pics ( and be making all my own frames lol)

Here is a video on how to do it. Go to about 2m 40s for the cutting part.

That's one of the best videos I've seen in ages that's a true craftsman at work I bet he's made thousands of those.

That's one of the best videos I've seen in ages that's a true craftsman at work I bet he's made thousands of those.

and not a guard in sight