tristan

Apiculture New Zealand National Conference 2016

please post your stories ! :)

had a blast. ran into beeks i hadn't seen in a long time. voice is almost gone.

fantastic to see them. some chats with various scientists on a few issues. great to talk in person, thank you for taking the time.

a ton of trade displays which kept me busy. very hard to get time with some and had to pin them to the wall to be able to go through a few things. :D

i didn't get to see all the speakers.

a very good piece on bee genetics in NZ, great work done by @Otto (y)

good bit from mark goodwin about coromandel collapse and possible method that may help.

also from Don about progress on gizzy flats disease.

would have like to seen the bit on willow dew.

I went there on Sunday and enjoyed the talks and the trees for bees workshop, the stands were very interesting and it surprised me how many were offering hive monitoring, the future seems to be there but it is a bit expensive for me at the moment.

I only recognized Trevor from the videos and I thought about saying hi but I felt like a beekeeping groupie and just walked away hahaha

would have like to seen the bit on willow dew.

Basically talked about sticky sheep, increased nuisance wasps and how the willows and the under story were suffering due to the black soot and being unable to photosynthesize. In one of the research results from overseas a tree actually lost trunk diameter due to internal tissue damage.

Basically talked about sticky sheep, i

anything on the bees consuming willow dew ?

I thought about saying hi but I felt like a beekeeping groupie and just walked away hahaha

mate don't be shy!

anything on the bees consuming willow dew ?

Not really. Other than to say there is a lot of melatoze (spelling) in it and the bees expelled that part out of the hive after consuming the surprise glucose components. And that is a real pain for beekeepers as It crystallises very quickly.

I only recognized Trevor from the videos and I thought about saying hi but I felt like a beekeeping groupie and just walked away hahaha

You should have said Hi. I was only there Sunday and Monday morning

You should have said Hi. I was only there Sunday and Monday morning

Hi, Next time I'll be more sociable, I thought you wouldn't even know who I was I didn't want to bother it was a busy schedule.

• Like 1

hivemind still hasn't forgotten my comments from here and promptly reminded me when i went past his stand :eek::lol (y)

i had a quick look and they have added some new sensors, in particular a bee counter so you can see how busy they are.

its looking like a good setup.

there was quite a few stands on hive monitoring and also bee supplements. i didn't actually see any wild claims (tho i wasn't really looking closely). didn't hear that sod who at previous conferences was spouting the virtuous of his wares at EVERY possibly moment <argghhh>.

everyone seamed to be much more professional (y)

I've just spent 3 days plus the AGMs today.

Firstly my thanks to the organisers - very smoothly run conference with almost 1500 registrants - quite an impressive effort and no doubt a lot of work.

Put a lot of faces to names and managed to learn a few things too. The international speakers from Alberta/California added an interesting dimension.

Regards the AGM today and initial introduction to the Board and intent of the new apiculture NZ organisation. I was somewhat impressed with the caliber of the new board and associated persons, albeit that the introduction was brief, but I think a good job they are doing so far given some of the "challenges" out there. I've been left in a hopeful mood for the future of the industry, which is great.

• Like 1

I've been left in a hopeful mood for the future of the industry, which is great.

Does this translate to " I will no longer fear quite so much a corporate takeover of the industry " ?

Does this translate to " I will no longer fear quite so much a corporate takeover of the industry " ?

No - that is not what I said :rolleyes:

But I do see a lot of optimism and a lot of people determined to do good - which is a good start. Some decisions that will be made in coming months will no doubt annoy or disappoint some existing people in the industry. But I haven't seen an organisation like this that has managed to please everyone all of the time yet, and don't really expect to now.

On balance I think quite a Positive outlook actually.

• Like 1

Some decisions that will be made in coming months will no doubt annoy or disappoint some existing people in the industry.

Could you elaborate just a wee bit, please? For those who haven't been to the conference?

Could you elaborate just a wee bit, please? For those who haven't been to the conference?

Sorry, it was a general comment rather than anything specific.

The point I was trying to make is you have a new board in charge of a new entity, with a stated intention of continuing to grow and develop the apiculture industry to the benefit of all involved. To me this will inevitably require making some calls which, while maybe best for the industry, may not be seen that way by some. This is my interpretation/assumption, not the new boards language!

Some of the issues they will have to discuss and make a call on?

1) a levy for research.

2) a research programme/process.

3) involvement or not in GIA

4) working relationship/processes between national body and hubs (branches).

5) increased compliance requirements (probably market or government driven).

There will be many others...

Some decisions that will be made in coming months will no doubt annoy or disappoint some existing people in the industry.

thats normal in any industry. you will never ever please everyone, thats just human nature.

I'm still driving home.

100% agree with what @Pinnacle has said re the new ApiNZ

This is my 4th conference and each has been bigger and better than the previous year.

• Like 1

Very good speakers and great trade display .the whole conference was very informative,probably enjoyed sundays sessions the most and fortunatley took a lot of notes.there was so much interesting info available that i dont think i could have learnt as much without having some study notes to review.

The whole conference was videoed and will apparently be available in a few months to relook at some of the presentations.

3 months ago i was very cynical about apinz,feel much betterabout it now.congratulations and thanks to organisers

• Like 2

i was just reminded, i missed seeing @JohnF from dnature who was probably suffering from jet lag!

Very Good conference I thought, spent a lot of time standing in one spot talking with heaps of people that I hardly even saw everything didn't help I was under the weather on Tuesday after a late night with staff and a few other good buggers, Missed a lot of talks oh well I think I learn more talking others than some of the research that's put out, my biggest regret was not catching up with @Trevor Gillbanks I did see you but just couldn't get away to catch you, then lost you, sorry trev. maybe next year.

Venue was awesome food was good, enjoyed the free drinks Manuka health put on Thanks,

• Like 2

my biggest regret was not catching up with @Trevor Gillbanks

Thanks @tony, I would have loved to catch up with you. @tristan told me you were around but of course I do not know what you look like so i could not introduce myself. Maybe another time.

I have been to a number of conferences, but this one in Rotorua was the best ever.

So busy never got the chance to spend any time in the RotoVegas night life.

Hobbyists should be impressed - Saturday night Kim Poynter hosted an excellent meeting of the clubs with the Hobbyist's Board rep Paul Martin. 13 clubs were represented - first time they have got together I believe.

Yes it was during the Test - but that is life!

Worst learning was finding out some past NBA Branches dished out their money boxes for research, with no transparency, it was not publicised, not contested and appears done with no accountability to the old NBA. Disappointing past leadership in that group. Hopefully ApiNZ will get to the bottom of the mess. I support the investment in research but the handing out process should be done in an above the board transparent manner......and that appears to not have happened.

Great Science - Mark Goodwin's talk on the Coromandel Colony Collapse investigation was really informing and he has some interesting early findings he was happy to talk about.

Highlight for me was the talk by Dr Gordon Wardell on almond pollination in California - think you have problems, they deal with the same issues on a scale that is stupendous. It is beekeeping on a huge scale!

Biggest problem - to many beekeepers to talk to and not enough time. But they were all there.

There are a lot more hive losses out there than are being reported. WHY? We need the true story.

Beekeeping has always had the support of the wider community.

But no hive loss reports to the EPA - No one knows then No one Cares!

• Like 1

There are a lot more hive losses out there than are being reported. WHY? We need the true story.

this communication issue is something i spoke to a few about. lack of communication from beeks but also from the scientific guys as well.

i know there is a few on here but certainly need to be more involved. i gave the message to a few to get involved especially online as people tend to google things first before asking.

the original Coromandel Colony Collapse was a good example of beeks not talking to each other and very little info put up here for all to see. thats something we all need to work on.

• Like 1

Hi @tristan

I look at the Coromandel Colony Collapse as the model for handling a regional crisis.

1) They identified a problem they could not explain. They notified NBA, Biosecurity and Dr Mark Goodwin.

2) They organised and held a local meeting of at least 13 local beekeepers to discuss the problem and share who else had problems.

3) The progress reports of the work were publicised in The Beekeeper as were follow up articles. Note John MacKay's discovery of the pathogen Lotmaria passim. John did a lot of work for free in assisting the Coromandel beekeepers.

4) The research and follow up actively involves a local beekeeper with help from many others, especially Plant and Food.

I would like to hear from you what we could have been done better and differently.

Because we can and will do it if able.

• Like 1

Being publicised in the Beekeeper mag is only reaching a small amount of beekeepers if its put up somewhere like this forum it reaches a hang of alot more people.

Hi @tristan

I look at the Coromandel Colony Collapse as the model for handling a regional crisis.

what i was referring to was the very first sighting of the problem where there was quite a few people effected on coromandel but none talked to each other about it including neighbors.

there was a little bit of a mentioned here but it was generally written off as PPBK (including by me) as there was very little detail actually said at the time. if it wasn't for oskana (spelling) being one of the effected i suspect it would have been ignored for quite some time.

this was all before they had identified there was a problem.

i'm not saying that there is anything wrong with your process etc as what i'm referring to is what happens right at the very start before any of that is even thought of.

this is the same issue i was talking to afb guys and assure quality about. beeks are very shy at coming forward with info wither its an unknown disease or possibly afb infected gear up for sale.

really need to get beeks more forth coming when theres an issue and have very simple methods for them to pass info along.

for eg a lot of beeks don't know to ring assure quality about afb. much easier if they promoted "call 0800AFB" than "call assure quality".

i know beeks who only know or talk to 1 or 2 other beeks. thats not very good when those beeks are your eyes out in the field that initially find these problems.

just a thought thinking of conferences,

back when we had Randy Oliver speaking at the conference, one thing he talked about was that when resistance hit was beeks put their head in the sand and ignored it. that has happened here......and frankly is still happening.

@Frazzled, not sure how we can publish here details as placed in The Beekeeper.

The reason is the editorial copy is checked and reviewed for accuracy, whereas here on the forum it is not.

Coromandel was discussed on the forum in a number of threads but a weakness these discussions can get of track and multiple threads can cover the same topic.

Coromandel Bug spreading ? There were more threads than this one at the time.

You can now subscribe to the Beekeeper in electronic form. I recommend that option - cheap value for money.

Non-commercial Membership (1-25 Hives) - Apiculture New Zealand

@tristan, You are correct it was Dr Oksana Borowik and John Basset both beekeepers on the Coromandel Peninsula who kicked of the reporting and got the research work underway.

Getting beekeepers to discuss with each other, sharing information and reporting will be a great change.

They do it extremely well at Conference so we need to do it for the rest of the year.

I think the hobbyists communicate better than the commercial beekeepers, because they meet regularly and listen to what is happening to the bees and share information. It was identified that urban hobbyists are the best line of passive surveillance for biosecurity incursions, that is to protect commercial beekeepers. So good communication in this group is really important.

In Gisborne, one beekeeper is going round helping beekeepers prepare and send in EPA Pollinator incident reports of hive losses.

200+ now reported.

There was a lot of conference discussion about varroa resistance coming to a hive near you soon.

And MPI are sufficiently concerned about Amitraz residues in bee products and are monitoring residue levels closely.

So the whole suite of chemical treatments may go in a short time.

Chemical resistance is a growing problem in horticulture and agriculture.

Make sure you use the product exactly according to label instructions every time.

Always use a registered product - avoid 'fly by night stuff'.

Dr Medhat Nasr, spoke of the Canadian experience using off label pesticides. Not advised at all. Stick to the pesticide rules. was his advice.

Treat when necessary based on mite counting in the hive, not based on the calendar.

Remove old strips, do not leave on hive or around the apiary.

I see another bruising round fighting varroa. Tough news but true.

No new options are ready yet.