Alex

Kiwifruit Pollination

don't think the mods are on tonight .... party anyone ?

A party for one in the moderation queue?

funny man .... party for five tonight .... three kids fast asleep , they not party animals.... so jus me and mama!

should be a good party ... eh!

don't think the mods are on tonight .... party anyone ?

Not really sure what the replies are about, phone number I have provided is for my Dad, John Wright, president of Comb Honey Producers which has been listed in Beekeeping Magazine...

• Like 1

Not really sure what the replies are about, phone number I have provided is for my Dad, John Wright, president of Comb Honey Producers which has been listed in Beekeeping Magazine...

I think its because of the society we live in the days.... not supposed to give away too much public detail about ourselves.

Sometimes PC is too PC eh

• Like 1

Thanks @myrtle4. Public contact details are okay.

I think its because of the society we live in the days.... not supposed to give away too much public detail about ourselves.

Sometimes PC is too PC eh

Ah giving away our private details publicly is the MPIs specialty

You'd be best to join Comb Honey Producers, give Dad a call (09)2360628. He's in right now, or this evening..

Thank you ill call him sometime soon. Cheers! Always good to talk bees

Ah giving away our private details publicly is the MPIs specialty

Not to worry! just after some good ol info from the professionals themselves ;)

On 30/11/2016 at 1:49 PM, Sarah Cross said:

When we talk about nuc hives we don't mean 'weak' we just mean small. These nucs are using their stored food for growth i.e. feeding larva, so the hives are most definitely on the increase. Having less nectar foragers heading out (which usually travel much further afield) means less bees hitting the netting sides and dying. We also found that spreading the small hives around the orchard helped limit bee loss in hives because lost bees could just return to the closest hive.

Was there ever any research released on the effectiveness of nucs versus hives that we can access?

16 hours ago, CraBee said:

Was there ever any research released on the effectiveness of nucs versus hives that we can access?

As far as I know it was all Zespri funded research which means they’ll keep it to themselves. If it is the way to go, we’ll see it reflected in their pollination advice - I haven’t heard anything yet but they usually have pollination meetings in spring

We've been using nucs in a covered orchard it has some open sides so not fully enclosed, one thing I noticed is they are slow on eating the sugar I been using two box nucs so 9 frames and a inside feeder, we also been using full size hives the nucs are easier to get to the awkward parts. One of the reason I was trying nucs was I didn't need to worry about them getting  wrecked when they where done in the orchard I just put them out to recover, the other thing is this orchard was using bumblebees but for there money you dont get much in my opinion a nuc has a heck of a lot more bees in them than the 20 bumblebees that appear in the nest.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CraBee said:

Mark Goodwin and his team did the research with use of nucs. I have been at a few meetings where it has been discussed. Advantages were based around nucs having younger naive bees from memory.

Yes I was just interested in seeing if the thinking on it had developed.  It seems the advantage for a bk with the nuc in a covered orchard (roof, no sides) is that as there are relatively less foragers in a nuc then we lose less forager bees to navigation problems.  With say two nucs v one hive you have two Queens and potentially more young brood so pollen is in higher demand.  And as @dansar said more younger bees.  It doesn't seem to be in widespread usage though..

The only thing is you need a heck of a lot of them, to even get close to doing the job of a strong hive

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

20 hours ago, CraBee said:

Yes I was just interested in seeing if the thinking on it had developed.  It seems the advantage for a bk with the nuc in a covered orchard (roof, no sides) is that as there are relatively less foragers in a nuc then we lose less forager bees to navigation problems.  With say two nucs v one hive you have two Queens and potentially more young brood so pollen is in higher demand.  And as @dansar said more younger bees.  It doesn't seem to be in widespread usage though..

you dont need nucs on an open sided orchard, the nucs were looked at for orchards with sides, either fully or partly enclosed. If you think two nucs are the same as 1 hive u are mistaken it would be closer to 3-4, you still need a certain amount of bees to do the job. What they are also going to look at is the amount of hives needed to pollinate new varieties along with other things.

• Thanks 3

What I have seen in covered is you need more hives than uncovered, not only are they under a cover they are under the canopy, they don't work the same, I wonder if its lack of light. 

28 minutes ago, tony said:

What I have seen in covered is you need more hives than uncovered, not only are they under a cover they are under the canopy, they don't work the same, I wonder if its lack of light. 

Tony i agree with you, i have told the Zespri team that they need to look at that, If you get two pair of polaroid sunglasses and hold them up to the sun in the open and twist them in front of each other you see the light changing ie lines crisscrossing through the lens, when you do that under canopy its different, Marks team found that the bees found it hard to find water under the canopy

Yea, my limited experience at this stage is pretty simple the hives don't really like it the stocking rate needs to be higher they definitely need to artificially pollinate also, and get a real good spread of hives though out the orchard.