Hi everyone,

Pondering the warm winter canterbury is having (and presumably elsewhere) and my bees are out several times/week. But it's not warm enough to confidently open the hive.

With roaming bees and warmer climes, should I be considering winter varoa treatments with my vaporiser to help beat back the spring surge of varoa? It's a good treatment for winter in that I don't need to open the hive, and its not temperature sensitive. And some of the "science" behind oxalic acid uses it to target a bloodless treatment anyway.

Further info - I don't currently strips, a philosophical choice & financial choice. Last mite count was 3% on sugar shake test (down from 8% pre-autumn treatment).

I'd be interested to hear what others think/experience. I listened to kiwimana podcast recently discussing this very thing, and would be interested to hear what others think.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

With roaming bees and warmer climes, should I be considering winter varoa treatments with my vaporiser to help beat back the spring surge of varoa? It's a good treatment for winter in that I don't need to open the hive, and its not temperature sensitive. And some of the "science" behind oxalic acid uses it to target a bloodless treatment anyway.

I'm looking out for a warm weekend day to do some mid winter samples. Hives with high mite load will get OA vapour but only when they're active. I anticipate the OA will be less effective while they're clustered.