We've got no choice if we acept these standards or not there's no laws on hive placement, im not here for arguements mate I'm just stating my veiw on this

After sombody gets killed by them there wil be laws. and they will suck.

And for the record, Any agricultural worker who needs to drive an open cab tractor past one of these is at risk (I have received multiple stings driving tractors past an equally stupid site).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After sombody gets killed by them there wil be laws. and they will suck.

And for the record, Any agricultural worker who needs to drive an open cab tractor past one of these is at risk (I have received multiple stings driving tractors past an equally stupid site).

They're probly more likely to be struck by lightening

I have a son who has to use an EpiPen and get to hospital within 15 minutes. I have a very close friend who has been told he will die if he gets another sting regardless of whether he gets adrenaline or not. Two good reasons for not having sites in stupid places. There is a course the law of public nuisance and manslaughter. I believe there are situations where a prosecution for manslaughter would be justifiable but that is not why I put my hives in sensible places. I'd put them there because I don't want to hurt anybody.

• Like 2

Without giving an opinion on this particular site I would make the comment that if all the hedges, broom and scrub was cut down from our roadsides, It would be immediately apparent that there are hundreds of sites similar to this one throughout the country.

Many belong to some of the oldest Beek companies.

Its very much a case of "out of sight, out of mind" IMHO

Without giving an opinion on this particular site I would make the comment that if all the hedges, broom and scrub was cut down from our roadsides, It would be immediately apparent that there are hundreds of sites similar to this one throughout the country.

Many belong to some of the oldest Beek companies.

Its very much a case of "out of sight, out of mind" IMHO

If it is behind a hedge it isnt anywhere near as dangerous....

• 3 months later...
Russell is my uncle.

The headline is the newspapers not mine, I would not tell anybody to buzz off. There's a few things I'd like to tell them but that would be impolite.

I hummed and hared about sending it to the paper as I tend to get targeted after telling a few home truths but then I'm being targeted anyway. I certainly had a lot of positive feedback at the farmers market today.

John I have to ask you what, if any, is your connection with Arataki Honey?

Are your views shared by Arataki?

Do you speak on behalf of Arataki Honey?

For me its important to know the answers to these questions.

If this is linked to John's published article above, I have to say there is a certain trump like logic thinking they'd be Arataki or Comvita's comments :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

Personal questions from someone not using their real name.?

Arataki is a business predominantly owned by members of my family and I worked for the business for around 30 years before going out on my own over 15 years ago. I still work very closely with them and we share a lot of the same philosophies but no I do not speak for them and we do disagree on some things. I have occasionally spoken with their support for things like council bylaws where our paths were aligned and we do consult within the family over many issues but my beliefs and ideology are all mine.

If this is linked to John's published article above, I have to say there is a certain trump like logic thinking they'd be Arataki or Comvita's comments :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

Even Trump should get a capital "T"

Personal questions from someone not using their real name.?

My name is Phillip Haycock

Even Trump should get a capital "T"

Thankyou

The reason I ask is because I live, work and have many friends in what was once a stronghold of Arataki Honey land.

• 2 weeks later...
This is what we're dealing with in Hawke's Bay. That's 48 singles next to a road, a horse training yard and among life style blocks a couple km out of town.

[ATTACH=full]13931[/ATTACH]

I have seen sites like that in the Manawatu on the roadsides. And have been trying to work out why they are placed like that with so many all together? I assumed they were going to be moved to other sites when pollination was required perhaps?

@Ros I think those big bee yards that you see on the side of the road in the Manawatu especially the blue and white hives don't care about helping any other industry with pollination they are only after the manuka and don't care who they step on to get what they want