orchid moment

The deliriously exciting topic of painting boxes...

Doesn't matter what colour they are trees will still be attracted to them :(

HzxWjNLvTai_-VP-PYU5V_MlK69H52AUrSmUbSXPtT2qxxDBkQGvrO_KQBaJtYYk1JloJGE_RGG_2pEIgq8yW9dNUPEgIT-kjDYtTK41xD7xCIFFbtEX37v-Dv5_fhedaWR586iLt8Qs24ljzVnhwxh8R5MZkpE37aiIUEiBIm_0E0PG_8ibM25GZ5KHnfV2anXKEdOe5LXvVBTvIdFdoF9MHTb7HcKICk28Uo0MGfElY1zCaXnV5B-lqGTUtEWs94ycdn5dUtcyMPiMP_iWBnIDWt1K56XNJKbzmx5ujdqbLNRVpF23yuNSM66mGbRn6Wru0NirBLox-7uEa-fitx7k7dNzrINMm3a79OqlD7IQYx4LsXtltu_MQSUmBpSVDVdTUJOgPmGBEMluaSAYfiIEcH4rKZM5vaL7kJ-9461Z5FGobD-NDpBm3jV9cKftgmWxnTNnMg9h0eK3A-WWaYZtob6FqDY6axF11NQR0LGYdplpVd6OmeRJ57QkyBCaeZx0xZTxl6qC_0oJJE9RvIO6V5uc4BeQjfL7sFBP-CA1wu3q2nGsr7VpqLLE9E_VzcAaTwBsTUEvSLKaXgj2cNf6xSJRfJ0=w1920-h708-no

Moral of the story.....don't place your trees near beehives...poor tree it didn't stand a half chance with that many hives so close to it.:what::rofl:

Crap! Much damage?

No, the tree bowed over the last pallet

• Like 1

Nice skills there!

You mean, the last pallet, disregarding any thoughts for its own safety, bravely stepped forward to catch the poor tree that had been abandoned by its treehaver arborist?

You mean, the last pallet, disregarding any thoughts for its own safety, bravely stepped forward to catch the poor tree that had been abandoned by its treehaver arborist?

Best not tell those bee loving vegans that we have almost let 4 beehives sacrifice themselves for the greater good of nature. Where will it all end.

Top ventilation is another matter altogether and I believe hives do much better without it. It's another one of those bright ideas that people come up with that sound like a good idea and the next thing you know everybody is doing it.

Can you please elaborate on why you believe top ventilation is not a good idea?

first of all just remember that what I say maybe right or maybe not but it is based on over 40 years practical beekeeping experience.

If you have a gap for ventilation in the top of a hive they will block it with propolis even in summer. That's why propolis mats go on top. Most hives have far too much ventilation and I am seriously considering reducing my entrances by half. At the moment they have the full width of the box times 10 mm but I suspect 100 mm gap on either side is plenty. I have certainly seen hives where I have missed taking out the wasp block. They were noticeable because during the honey flow there were clouds of bees trying to get in through the 1 cm gap on either side yet the hives were just as healthy and just as full. Wasp blocks over winter do slow the ventilation of the hive down and cause mould and dampness in the hive but that are still far preferable to the hive being killed by wasps. If hives function perfectly well without something then don't use it. Screen floors are another thing that hives will survive with but survive just as well without.

If I think a new idea has merit then I try it on a few hives and if successful I trial it in several yards with control hives for comparison. A case in point is keeping hives on the pallet configurations that I use. There is a clear and significant improvement in the average honey crop as opposed to single hives. Even running your single hives in the same configuration of four hives facing a different direction gives you some improvement. For the last few years I have been trialling top feeders as opposed to internal feeders. They both have advantages and disadvantages but I am tending towards top feeders except where there is a major cattle problems.

first of all just remember that what I say maybe right or maybe not but it is based on over 40 years practical beekeeping experience.

If you have a gap for ventilation in the top of a hive they will block it with propolis even in summer. That's why propolis mats go on top. Most hives have far too much ventilation and I am seriously considering reducing my entrances by half. At the moment they have the full width of the box times 10 mm but I suspect 100 mm gap on either side is plenty. I have certainly seen hives where I have missed taking out the wasp block. They were noticeable because during the honey flow there were clouds of bees trying to get in through the 1 cm gap on either side yet the hives were just as healthy and just as full. Wasp blocks over winter do slow the ventilation of the hive down and cause mould and dampness in the hive but that are still far preferable to the hive being killed by wasps. If hives function perfectly well without something then don't use it. Screen floors are another thing that hives will survive with but survive just as well without.

If I think a new idea has merit then I try it on a few hives and if successful I trial it in several yards with control hives for comparison. A case in point is keeping hives on the pallet configurations that I use. There is a clear and significant improvement in the average honey crop as opposed to single hives. Even running your single hives in the same configuration of four hives facing a different direction gives you some improvement. For the last few years I have been trialling top feeders as opposed to internal feeders. They both have advantages and disadvantages but I am tending towards top feeders except where there is a major cattle problems.

WP_20160421_09_59_11_Pro.jpg.1e1a8615c04ef886756bc7096143dd22.jpg

I agree extra ventilation is not necessary, I am moving to running all my hives on solid floor with a 150mm wide opening. Works for me(y)

WP_20160421_09_59_11_Pro.jpg.1e1a8615c04ef886756bc7096143dd22.jpg

White to match your truck, suit, etc... if they look bad and a miss match when the bank manager turns up and it looks like you are in a muddle he wont lend you any more money!

In the Practical Beekeeping book it says bees can differentiate between yellow, blue and blue-green, although other colours may appear as different tones to them. Bee can not see the colour red, which appears to them as a neutral 'grey'.

My question is has anyone had any issues with red bee boxes? My son would like a red hive......

No problem with red, or as far as I can tell any colour, we've got them all...:lol:love: Pretty boxes for clever beeses:bee::bee::bee:

• Like 2

No problem with red, or as far as I can tell any colour, we've got them all...:lol:love: Pretty boxes for clever beeses:bee::bee::bee:

We've got some pink ones sneaking through this season :eek:

We've got some pink ones sneaking through this season :eek:

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

We also have about 4 or five shades of pink! In your honour of course pink cat...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Had some paint tinted recently, as had some supers to paint. I wanted the purple and orange. The purple is all good, the orange is .....apricot :cry:

• Like 1

We also have about 4 or five shades of pink! In your honour of course pink cat...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Excelleeeent !

Thermo wood , paraffin dipped, no paint = no mess, natural good looks. Maybe redip every 10 years. Or you could paint them pink. It's such a soothing vomit inducing colour.

• Like 2

Talking of ventilation versus not, brings up one of my favourite books. It was written in 1918. I find it very cool that it is still relevant and explains why ventilation to dry honey is complete rubbish. In short condensation on the sides not the ceiling is the key. That it is also free to view online or download is a bonus. Hot sun and shade in the afternoon is a good option in our climate.

Constructive beekeeping : Clark, Ed. H : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

• Like 1

THot sun and shade in the afternoon is a good option in our climate.

In such a long skinny country I don't think we really have one climate.

In such a long skinny country I don't think we really have one climate.

that is an interesting one. I'd say the opposite. Because we are a small island surrounded by the ocean, our temperatures are linked to the temperature of the sea. It is like a huge heat sink is connected to the coast. If you go inland 75km then the situation changes. There are much hotter and colder extremes inland away from the sea. However, if I was in Northland or Southland I'd still put my hives in a spot to get maximum sun and I'd be relaxed about any shade they might have in the afternoon. So, climate differences don't alter that. Maybe if we had lots of snow or if the summer temperature went in the 40's I would need a different plan to help ease things.

When did you last sample a spot of SI winter shade ?

My few boxes are painted just to protect them from the elements ...and I also think beehives look great painted in muted primary colors. Mine are blue.

Could not comment on productivity of colors.