orchid moment

The deliriously exciting topic of painting boxes...

It's that time of year again: building, dipping, painting...:)

My question may at first seem ridiculous, but it is something being hotly debated (i know, i can't believe it either) amongst staff & boss right now. I also can't believe that 'amongst' is not recognised as a word by Windows either, who insists on underlining it..but that's neither here nor there. And yes, my settings are British English. Oh man, winter tasks have got me already :(

Anyway, here it is:

My boss is of the firm opinion that supers should be painted white to keep the hive temperature down during honey season. He insists that the honey crop will be less if supers are in any other colour (or simply no colour at all, just paraffin-dipped).

He says that science proves it (though we have yet to evidence that proof), and, well, let's be honest, they're his boxes, so white they are.

But plenty of you commercial chaps have boxes in blue, purple, dark green & just plain old nothing, which makes me think there is nothing in this...

If anyone's as bored as I am right now & could see your way to providing feedback, I'd appreciate it!!

Cheers, ilona

• Like 2

Decent ventilation will pee all over box colour any day... Imho

• Like 1

Decent ventilation will pee all over box colour any day... Imho

What do you mean by decent ventilation? Is there some other kind of ventilation aside from the hive entrance between bottom board and brood chamber?

What do you mean by decent ventilation? Is there some other kind of ventilation aside from the hive entrance between bottom board and brood chamber?

It makes sense for there to be some ventilation in the top of the hive so the hive can pull air in the entrance and out the top ventilation. If the hive can effectively move air around it will be a lot better at keeping the hive the correct temp....

• Like 1

It makes sense for there to be some ventilation in the top of the hive so the hive can pull air in the entrance and out the top ventilation. If the hive can effectively move air around it will be a lot better at keeping the hive the correct temp....

How does ventilation affect the size of the crop?

Ventilation might (probably will) affect how fast the nectar is cured into honey not how much nectar the bees bring into the hive.

I don't believe that the color of the honey box affects the size of the crop:mask:

It's that time of year again: building, dipping, painting...:)

Without getting into ventilation we prefer white but then liven the box up a bit with a splash here using a stencil to creates shapes. For these shapes we use the visible to bee colours and the brood box number is also painted on using one or a combination of these colours. So white for low heat absorbtion, and the colours for interest and bee orientation - that's the theory anyway.

How does ventilation affect the size of the crop?

Ventilation might (probably will) affect how fast the nectar is cured into honey not how much nectar the bees bring into the hive.

I don't believe that the color of the honey box affects the size of the crop:mask:

I don't know how much the bees crossover jobs... I would have thought that if it takes less bees to temp regulate and evaporate the water out of honey more bees can be out getting it... But I could be wrong...

I also don't think the colour makes any real difference...

I am not sure about colour of boxes, our langstroth is shades of blue, just the colour we had lying around. As for ventilation, I read somewhere that you could place a "penny" in each corner between brood and supers, and that would provide much needed ventilation during hot weather, but no space for robbers or bees to use as an exit.

Also, I must say that out of all our (other) hives, the ones that produced the most have been the ones under blazing sun, and most our hives are natural wood with metal roof tiles.

But then again, we are near the beach, so temps don't go above 28*C....

My kids think it makes a difference

@Kiwifruiter I've got a couple of pails of old black paint here, I can send them down to you so you can paint your hives with them if you like? Slap on a silver fern on each and you'll be the patriotic beekeeper :)

@Kiwifruiter I've got a couple of pails of old black paint here, I can send them down to you so you can paint your hives with them if you like? Slap on a silver fern on each and you'll be the patriotic beekeeper :)

Maby.... I already do.....

I also don't think the colour makes any real difference...

You've obviously not tried pink

You've obviously not tried pink

I have ;)

cool pink :oops:

warm pink :P

Hot pink:devil:

• Like 1

Black is cooler than white. Ever wonder why vehicle radiators are black? The black dissipates heat.

Ever wonder why they wear black Burqas in a blazing hot Arab country?

Because their Husband told them too...........:cautious::mask::censored:

Darker colours tend not to last as long. That's the only difference I can see. Orientation is far more important than colour. When I swap boxes on a hive the bees don't fly around in circles going, where's my hive is a different colour!. My old boxes are every colour of the rainbow. My new boxes are all unpainted but if I was going to paint and starting from scratch they would all be sky blue because I like the colour . Top ventilation is another matter altogether and I believe hives do much better without it. It's another one of those bright ideas that people come up with that sound like a good idea and the next thing you know everybody is doing it. If your hives are regularly buried in 2 feet of snow then it might be a good idea but otherwise forget it.

"A black object absorbs all wavelengths of light and converts them into heat, so the object gets warm. A white object reflects all wavelengths of light, so the light is not converted into heat and the temperature of the object does not increase noticeably."

From here:

UCSB Science Line

I paint our hives all the colours because it increases my productivity when I'm painting them, working them, and especially supering them up. Colour makes me happy. The bees seem to fill them up, regardless of the colour. Contemplating this years colours at the moment.

Oh and welcome along to the forum @orchid moment. Winter contemplation:lol:lol

• Like 4

you paint them whatever color the cheap paint you can lay your hands on. otherwise known as "free" or "dump paint".

• Like 1

you paint them whatever color the cheap paint you can lay your hands on. otherwise known as "free" or "dump paint".

... or placed a "leftover paint wanted" add on neighbourly. Will be a while before I need paint again.

Boyz... Colour is good for the soul, cheap paint is always beige, and beige is just not a girl colour.

Mine are painted in colours bees can see easily - sky blue, green blue, yellow green and lavender . . . . plus, like many of the other posters, I love having them painted in colours I like :-)

• Like 1

Doesn't matter what colour they are trees will still be attracted to them :(

HzxWjNLvTai_-VP-PYU5V_MlK69H52AUrSmUbSXPtT2qxxDBkQGvrO_KQBaJtYYk1JloJGE_RGG_2pEIgq8yW9dNUPEgIT-kjDYtTK41xD7xCIFFbtEX37v-Dv5_fhedaWR586iLt8Qs24ljzVnhwxh8R5MZkpE37aiIUEiBIm_0E0PG_8ibM25GZ5KHnfV2anXKEdOe5LXvVBTvIdFdoF9MHTb7HcKICk28Uo0MGfElY1zCaXnV5B-lqGTUtEWs94ycdn5dUtcyMPiMP_iWBnIDWt1K56XNJKbzmx5ujdqbLNRVpF23yuNSM66mGbRn6Wru0NirBLox-7uEa-fitx7k7dNzrINMm3a79OqlD7IQYx4LsXtltu_MQSUmBpSVDVdTUJOgPmGBEMluaSAYfiIEcH4rKZM5vaL7kJ-9461Z5FGobD-NDpBm3jV9cKftgmWxnTNnMg9h0eK3A-WWaYZtob6FqDY6axF11NQR0LGYdplpVd6OmeRJ57QkyBCaeZx0xZTxl6qC_0oJJE9RvIO6V5uc4BeQjfL7sFBP-CA1wu3q2nGsr7VpqLLE9E_VzcAaTwBsTUEvSLKaXgj2cNf6xSJRfJ0=w1920-h708-no

• Like 3

Doesn't matter what colour they are trees will still be attracted to them :(

Crap! Much damage?