ikwezinz

Selling propolis

Is there any particular company you would recommend for selling to ?

My hives were pretty blocked up this season, so I am keen to try some mats next year and see how that goes

Appreciate any advice

I've really enjoyed dealing with Arataki Rotorua. Fast turnaround of both mats and money - mats back in two weeks and paid the week after. And they'll supply mats if you don't have your own.

I had dealt with another company previously, but they got slower and less attentive, (took two months to get mats back and three months to get paid). I think they grew over the years and just became less interested in my small supply.

I sell mine to Manuka NZ. Te Awamutu. I have had a similar experience with them as @deejaycee. They also supply 2 mats per hive you have. You need to sign a contract with them. Also need to fill in a harvest declaration when sending in the mats or propolis.

• Like 1

I have mats in from aritaki Rotorua... Havnt sent any in yet so can't speak to what they are like....

How many hives do you need to run to make collecting propolis worth the effort?

How many hives do you need to run to make collecting propolis worth the effort?

Any amount. It is worth around $25 to $30 per hive. This is what I have achieved over the last 3 years. There was a big increase in Value/kg this year

Will any of these companies mentioned buy propolis that has been collected when cleaning frames and boxes etc? If so does it need to be processed by the seller at all first somehow to remove any wax or impurities?

• Like 1

Will any of these companies mentioned buy propolis that has been collected when cleaning frames and boxes etc? If so does it need to be processed by the seller at all first somehow to remove any wax or impurities?

Yes. They both will take raw propolis/wax mix. They will process it and pay you for the propolis.

scrapings are very easy to deal with - just collect, store in a sealed container in the freezer. Don't let them get wet and don't attempt to process in any way. Don't try to compact the scrapings too much - they need to be dissolved at the other end, and that becomes a mission when they're compacted.

I store scrapings in 2 litre ice cream containers... the last lot I sent in held about 6-700 grams per container, and were over 40% purity. Can't recall the price and can't be bothered looking it up, but at 600 g and 40%, that's 240 g pure.... say $300/kg (conservative) each ice cream container full is worth about $70.

Not difficult to fill a container if you keep it handy when working the hives.

• Like 1

As with @deejaycee , we scrape into icecream containers . Think we got around $300 from four full containers , from approx 14 hives . Found arataki really good to deal with as well . Have got mats for this season , so will be interesting to see how that goes . Spending a few minutes cleaning up the frames yields quite a bit of propolis , and makes the hives a lot easier to work next time round .

• Like 1

So if you go with a company that supplies the mats, do they adjust the price in any way for that? I have some mats but haven't put them in yet....perhaps I should after reading this thread.

nah, they don't charge you for the mats or alter your payment - the mats are actually only worth about a dollar each - probably a lot less for the bulk they would go through, so it's not a big cost to them in the scheme of things.

Put your mats in - doesn't cost anything to have them there if the bees don't feel like filling them up right now, and makes you some money if they do.

Thanks @deejaycee I'll put them in next time I open them up and watch with interest to see how they go. I checked out the recipes section last night and saw some of the tinctures posts, so might give those a go too.

• Like 1

Manuka Health :) I'm sure they will always be keen for more.

Will the bees continue to make propolis over winter? I wonder as, if I've understood correctly, if it's over 10 deg during the day they will fly, but if there is little or no nectar what do they do?

Bees seem to make propolis whenever in our hives... Sticky annoying stuff, but it's a nice wee bonus that just happens so you may as well put a mat on.

Bees seem to make propolis whenever in our hives... Sticky annoying stuff, but it's a nice wee bonus that just happens so you may as well put a mat on.

You had me at "Bees" Thanks Bron. Will have to try and find a contact tomorrow.

Actually, on second thought I'll watch Trev's propolis video tomorrow. He's probably got more info in there.

when i first got hives with all new gear i wondered why people were going on about how annoying propolis was.

three years later i understand now

• Like 2

On a small scale propolis may not be worth doing, and if you are going to do it you need to keep it in the freezer or at least freeze it long enough to kill any wax moth, all the little beasties love eating propolis.

• Like 1

I now supply my uncle at Arataki Rotorua. I used to supply other companies but they could be hopeless and there was always some excuse why they couldn't pay you on time. Collecting propolis is partly the area the hives are in and partly genetics and despite the price of propolis I prefer to breed from hives that don't have a propensity for this product. It is particularly noticeable this year and I suspect when they have nothing else to do they go out and collect it.

• Like 2

I suspect when they have nothing else to do they go out and collect it.

I suspect you're right @john berry . I opened one hive today to see that previously capped honey has gone and there is a truckload of fresh propolis around the top of the box. I suspect our almost non existant nectar flow is over and the girls are bored.

Hi iam new to the game but have a friend that works for one of the big companies, he said to just put the mats into a freezer then next day give it a wack into a bin it comes off mat easy when frozen then gather up and put into ice cream container till you have it full ...said to collect every two weeks , does this sound ok and will it hurt the propolis ?

Hi iam new to the game but have a friend that works for one of the big companies, he said to just put the mats into a freezer then next day give it a wack into a bin it comes off mat easy when frozen then gather up and put into ice cream container till you have it full ...said to collect every two weeks , does this sound ok and will it hurt the propolis ?

If you ring Arataki or MH or whoever else buys propolis they will send you empty mats and you send them back full, they take the propolis off them and send them back and you do it again every time they're full.

I sold some propolis to Manuka Health it took about 10 months to get paid and then I has pestering them so I guess they don’t want any more

I sold some propolis to Manuka Health it took about 10 months to get paid and then I has pestering them so I guess they don’t want any more

I have never had this problem. In fact quite the reverse. I sent in my mats, they told me how much to invoice them, I forgot and then 1 month later they rang me to say they had my money and wanted to pay me but could not until I sent the invoice.

Have you invoiced them.