Janice

And so it begins in the south . . .

I never quite understood the zespri model. First you sell the right to grow a variety of Kiwi fruit to your growers and then when that dies from a disease you sell them the right to another variety which they paid to develop themselves. If I was in a cooperative and they kicked me in the nethers like that then the overpaid board would be replaced at the next election.

It seems to be all about blending now.

It wasnt that long ago I was sitting in a meeting in Wellington with the likes of " Mr" Steens standing up berating all those who produce Kanuka honey telling us we were thieves and should F off out of it.

Seems to me that any honey, even willow dew is used in the blending of so called UMF manuka honey.

i am sorry but i do not understand why he would telling manuka producers they were thieves ?

Manuka good.

Kanuka bad.

Even though when you're talking about table grade honey you can't tell the difference and there is far more difference between Hawke's Bay manuka and Northland manuka than there is between Hawke's Bay manuka and kanuka. Locally it is as often as not mixed together and we were accused of all sorts of things for selling it the same way as we have for 50 years. Funnily enough it didn't stop those people with the loudest mouths about what we were doing from dumping thousands of hives right on top of us. Still I'm sure that even if there honey has 10% kanuka they throw it all away and start again.

i am sorry but i do not understand why he would telling manuka producers they were thieves ?

Kanuka producers.

Kanuka producers.

Sorry kanuka , I actually wrote kanuka but stupid auto spell didn't like it and corrected it without me noticing.

I never quite understood the zespri model. First you sell the right to grow a variety of Kiwi fruit to your growers and then when that dies from a disease you sell them the right to another variety which they paid to develop themselves. If I was in a cooperative and they kicked me in the nethers like that then the overpaid board would be replaced at the next election.

The co-op paid for a new variety to be developed and then sold it to growers. When PSA came along and all the Hort-16a died the decision was made to sell hort16a growers G3 licence cheap so there would be a reduction in disease levels (which the extra bacteria could have knocked over all the green orchards as well). It is a business which has a different ownership model to others.

I can't really say too much about the growers being blocked from marketing however if they were that wrong in the decision to block it, Zespri wouldn't be receiving the support from growers that they are getting....

fonterra works well because its basically only got one product from the farmers. beekeepers have a wide range of products so a single marketing board will never work well.

i should add, fonterra has opposition milk factorys etc. so its not a total monopoly. its seams to be far more open than zespris model.

Fonterra have in the past stated that they are not interested in value added, and have pushed milk powder. Can you really say that it is working at the moment?

Zespri is a lot more focused... Zespri doesn't own orchards or pack houses. It owns the brand and the marketing. That's about it.

The article is written implying that zespri dont allow collaborations. They do, the collaborations just have to meet a very high standard of marketing and quality control....

Maybe the big players have saturated their areas and are now looking else where. The Strait kept them north until now.

Not exactly hives have been coming north from south for a few years already.