Janice

And so it begins in the south . . .

######, I missed again.....

Comvita.jpg.41da5c623a8afce1a9e38ff734297573.jpg

Comvita.jpg.41da5c623a8afce1a9e38ff734297573.jpg

i didnt think we had much, if any, commercial quantities of active honey down here in the south island

But if you take non-active manuka and blend it with active, what happens?

But if you take non-active manuka and blend it with active, what happens?

I assume you will end up with blended honey that will still be able to be sold as active manuka....

What I think is interesting is the big guys like Watsons, Comvita etc are expanding into areas that dont produce " active" honey so it seems they arent worried about the upcoming manuka standard.

What I think is interesting is the big guys like Watsons, Comvita etc are expanding into areas that dont produce " active" honey so it seems they arent worried about the upcoming manuka standard.

Will non active manuka be able to be sold as manuka?

It will have all the markers of manuka.

Comvita still sell a lot of non-manuka honey in Europe and Asia and we (the beekeepers and their contract suppliers) cant supply pasture/bush honey if we have near all our hives on manuka blocks

It will have all the markers of manuka.
I tend to agree. UV / pollen / spectro / should still say manuka even if no dha/mgo/umf/tla although there are many interested parties so who knows what we will end up with

More probably they are cognisant of it and are hedging their bets by simply increasing their multifloral catchment, simple expansion.

I see they are selling a manuka UMF 2.5 which is very interesting considering that according to @Rob&\#039;s BP The UMF group have been able to continue using the UMF mark because they have convinced the powers that be that its a measurement of purity and quality not a measure of activity. The UMF mark could be used on all honey if its not measuring activity.

Alot of offshore media reports state that to identify a good Manuka honey you need to buy something with UMF on the label... thats obviously gone down the toilet.

All smoke and mirrors

Anyone who thinks that manuka standards will be anything but what the big companies want is living in a dream world. I still have faith in most people but these guys lie, intimidate and bribe their way to whatever they want.

Just as important as being a good keeper of bees is having the respect and trust of those who allow you on their land. Perhaps it is time for local beekeepers to get together and start running full-page ads telling a few home truths in opposition to the crap that you see printed at the moment.

I was talking to a farmer the other day (not one of mine). He was incensed that someone had dumped a large number of hives very close to the hives on his property. When he asked the neighbour about it the neighbour said that the beekeeper told him the other beekeeper wouldn't mind. Another farmer told me a friend of his was asked if one of these companies could put a few hives on his 10 acre block . The next morning he awoke to 40 hives and was most unhappy. One of our local beekeepers lost a site to a corporate that promised the world and entered a profit\cost sharing agreement with the farmer. At the end of the year the farmer got a bill for $15,000 and the beekeeper got the site back. The interesting thing was he told me all the hives around that area had done really well at year.

I could put names to all the above stories but frankly I am already being actively targeted for speaking out. Please feel free to add any more stories.

Anyone who thinks that manuka standards will be anything but what the big companies want is living in a dream world. I still have faith in most people but these guys lie, intimidate and bribe their way to whatever they want.

Just as important as being a good keeper of bees is having the respect and trust of those who allow you on their land. Perhaps it is time for local beekeepers to get together and start running full-page ads telling a few home truths in opposition to the crap that you see printed at the moment.

I was talking to a farmer the other day (not one of mine). He was incensed that someone had dumped a large number of hives very close to the hives on his property. When he asked the neighbour about it the neighbour said that the beekeeper told him the other beekeeper wouldn't mind. Another farmer told me a friend of his was asked if one of these companies could put a few hives on his 10 acre block . The next morning he awoke to 40 hives and was most unhappy. One of our local beekeepers lost a site to a corporate that promised the world and entered a profit\cost sharing agreement with the farmer. At the end of the year the farmer got a bill for $15,000 and the beekeeper got the site back. The interesting thing was he told me all the hives around that area had done really well at year.

I could put names to all the above stories but frankly I am already being actively targeted for speaking out. Please feel free to add any more stories.

I turned up to a site that had been average at best and found 18 pallets 500m away and my hives were suffering big time....

I've been asked by a friend to put a couple of hives on her rural block. Kids want to save the bees, fresh honey, all good stuff. I know that a commercial puts hives on the neighboring property in season so I've asked her to approach the neighbour to find out who the commercial is so I can contact them. Speaking yesterday to a commercial friend I was told, "not to bother, no one does that any more." Sad really.

I see they are selling a manuka UMF 2.5 which is very interesting considering that according to @Rob&\#039;s BP The UMF group have been able to continue using the UMF mark because they have convinced the powers that be that its a measurement of purity and quality not a measure of activity. The UMF mark could be used on all honey if its not measuring activity.

Alot of offshore media reports state that to identify a good Manuka honey you need to buy something with UMF on the label... thats obviously gone down the toilet.

All smoke and mirrors

I'm disappointed at the 2.5

I'm not going to get into a slinging match about label standards

Where in the south island are the large pure stands of Manuka.

Manuka flowers later where I am in the top of the south than the north island I have been told.

So even though it looks like we have lots of Manuka around us there is normally other stuff flowering , like kamahi ,rata, cabbage tree etc.

The bees will always go for this first.

I always wondered how you could get pure Manuka untill a friend who spent time in taranaki told me about the really large pure Manuka forests.

Where do these forests occur down south

Kaikoura. The secret is out!

Their weather is nearly as bad as ours

There seem to be little visible in the way of hives on the west coast, all the locals we've spoke to say the hives come in from Chch. There's bush everywhere...

There seem to be little visible in the way of hives on the west coast, all the locals we've spoke to say the hives come in from Chch. There's bush everywhere...

They're all tucked away

Hope that they are tucked away with their raincoats and thick warm blankets:rofl:

One of our local beekeepers lost a site to a corporate that promised the world and entered a profit\cost sharing agreement with the farmer. At the end of the year the farmer got a bill for $15,000
Really!

I would like to know just how such a thing could happen, John could you explain, without naming anyone of course, just how it can end up the landowner gets a bill?

And oh, did he pay it?

Hundreds of hives where there should have been 24.

Helicopters used to dump hives on top of other beekeeper sites just across river and one assumes vastly inflated expenses.

This is an area with tons of manuka but even more native bees and while honey crops are usually reasonable manuka crops only happen on average every five or six years but hey what would a beekeeper with over 50 years of experience in the area no compared to a corporate bright boy. As far as I know the farmer paid but I am not certain. The old we will pay you a percentage of the profits (after expenses) is a good one and there always seems to be an excuse for why they didn't make any money this year. I have lost sites in the past to beekeepers making promises they have no intention of keeping.

######, I missed again.....

[ATTACH=full]13776[/ATTACH]

I didn't!! :):):):):)

Is there something in the profit sharing legal document that if the beekeeper loses money the landowner has to chip in?