John Russell

Pro's & Con's of FD honey super

Can I just get the logic of this clear:

* if I lift heavy boxes then I get nice and thin, but the risk of a back injury is high, and my back will never be the same again

* its OK if I make my staff do this because it's not my back that gets injured

Or watching what you eat and drink may have a good effect without side effects, as is safer exercise with 3/4 boxes.

:bee:

that about right :P

tho these days instead of just me lugging all the boxes its a team of staff. many hands make light work.

I used to keep both but it was a big hassle when it came to moving things around and getting into the breeding side of things. I gave my full depth frames to a colleague who is getting into top bar hives, and he cut them down on an angle, which put them to good use!

• Like 1

* if I lift heavy boxes then I get nice and thin, but the risk of a back injury is high, and my back will never be the same again

Or watching what you eat and drink may have a good effect without side effects, as is safer exercise with 3/4 boxes.

Repetition, strength, and incorrect technique are the culprits. Even manually lifting 3/4 depth day in and day out will wreck a back if done incorrectly.

I used to stack 50 to 60 m3 of timber (50 to 60,000kg) a day, individually the timber wasn't heavy but the repetition and being tall was my demise.

The stress of a work safe investigation into back lnjuries will make you loose more weight than lifting full depth supers

3/4 all the way for me

I'm the only person that works for me.

I lift all my own boxes.

I feel the more I do the less likely I am to have an injury as I will be fit and strong.

I haven't had a beekeeping related injury to date.

Just FYI ;)

And I don't intend to change my ways any time soon because it works for me.

• Like 1

It's not really bee related, had a stupid eye injury recently. Makes you see safety in a different way. No pun intended.

I'm the only person that works for me.

I lift all my own boxes.

I feel the more I do the less likely I am to have an injury as I will be fit and strong.

I haven't had a beekeeping related injury to date.

Just FYI ;)

And I don't intend to change my ways any time soon because it works for me.

when i was 25 i felt exactly the same

now i am 60 i can not wait for a heavy lifting drone

• Like 3

when i was 25 i felt exactly the same

now i am 60 i can not wait for a heavy lifting drone

Use your force Jedi :rofl:

• Like 1

Use your force Jedi :rofl:

I wish :lol

• Like 1

We use full deep for supers and brood here. No lifters or crane. sometimes supers can go up to 5 highs, 7 including the bottom 2 boxes for the brood chamber.

So do you use ladders

I always wondered when the hives got this high how you would lift the top boxes off

It also occurred to me that in peak season when a hive had 3 supers on top of a brood boxes commercial beeks would not look through individual hives for months.

If I did not look at my hive for months over the summer it would probably swarm

So do you use ladders

I always wondered when the hives got this high how you would lift the top boxes off

It also occurred to me that in peak season when a hive had 3 supers on top of a brood boxes commercial beeks would not look through individual hives for months.

Hi

Never used ladders. Im 5'11.5" I can still get the top box off, it's heavy but I can still manage it. It is rare to have swarms here in SD during the honey flow months. I am not really sure why because I am not local in this country but my boss said it is because the day is getting much shorter. I think it's the solstice he was saying.

Have a great day!

• Like 1

IMG_6451.JPG.c5b9d23cd7711fd34afe83c7fab77613.JPG

So do you use ladders

You make steps if you have to. Or you stand on the neighbour.

This tall hive swarmed. I took those boxes off a few times to get in there and cut cells and I think it got to about 4 supers and I decided I didn't care so just kept boxing it up.

IMG_6451.JPG.c5b9d23cd7711fd34afe83c7fab77613.JPG

• Like 4

Hmmm, so you have a 40kg box in your arms and need to put it somewhere while you get down to ground, or jump/step down carrying 60% (ish) of your body weight ...

Yikes.

:)

Hmmm, so you have a 40kg box in your arms and need to put it somewhere while you get down to ground, or jump/step down carrying 60% (ish) of your body weight ...

Yikes.

or maybe she had some who she can hand the box..

like the photographer? hehehe:)

[ATTACH=full]14965[/ATTACH]

This tall hive swarmed. I took those boxes off a few times to get in there and cut cells and I think it got to about 4 supers and I decided I didn't care so just kept boxing it up.

Hi daley..

My wife says hi!

Girl power she says!

hehehe

beeks.JPG.75087b3a099e74419d053bc1f6353429.JPG

beeks.JPG.75087b3a099e74419d053bc1f6353429.JPG

• Like 1

Yikes.

She's only 25 :)

• Like 1

25 what ?

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]14965[/ATTACH]

your doing my trick :eek: :D

i've had a few hives where we backed the ute up to it and got to the top from the ute deck.

you couldn't reach the lid without standing on something.

swarming in summer ? not something i'm familiar with. once honey flow is on bees tend to forget about swarming.

• Like 4

i've had a few hives where we backed the ute up to it and got to the top from the ute deck.

you couldn't reach the lid without standing on something.

swarming in summer ? not something i'm familiar with. once honey flow is on bees tend to forget about swarming.

These are on pretty early flow.

And we don't split them.

So usually they try to swarm for pretty much the whole month unfortunately.

They've got two boxes on already and we're just starting to see cells popping up.

I am surprisingly strong for a girl.

I have no difficulty keeping up with the men.

My sister used to bet guys drinks to arm wrestle me at the pub, it was rather lucrative.

Yikes.

I find lifting down much easier than lifting up.

• Like 2

@tudor, 25 years of awesome, and I'm damn proud of those years!
  • Like 3

Well no one knew coz you've been so quiet.

They hadn't seen your profile pic so it had to be done :D

25 what ?

25 year old knee joints