John Russell

Pro's & Con's of FD honey super

@Shaun, do you shrink the colony for winter?(i.e. leave only as many frames as the bees can cover and add a mobile wall)

@Shaun, do you shrink the colony for winter?(i.e. leave only as many frames as the bees can cover and add a mobile wall)

No, Full hives are always 11 frame Jumbos.

I also run Nucs through the winter in 5 frame jumbo Nuc boxes. Some as singles and some as doubles with a QE and a honey box on top.

So what is the actual letter of the law...are FDs illegal due to weight?! Thanks.

So what is the actual letter of the law...are FDs illegal due to weight?! Thanks.

No and in themselves they never will be. There may be in the future, a (very hard to enforce) law regarding lifting them....

Look up the Health & Safety in Employment Act and see if you can tell us the answer !:geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:

Eliminate, Isolate, Minimise

Eliminate - nope or use 3/4

Isolate - nope

Minimise - two to lift, remove some of the weight before lifting the box, mechanical assistance etc etc

Eliminate, Isolate, Minimise

First you have to identify it as a risk that requires control. It could be that for some outfits the risk is already low - age, fitness, physical strength, correct lifting technique, progressive harvest... In which case no controls might be required.

Look up the Health & Safety in Employment Act and see if you can tell us the answer !:geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:

That's why I was asking...catch 22! I know EIM practice for Worksafe, but as said above so much depends on the person & situation & even how packed out the boxes are at harvest. We've tried lift gates - naw, not suitable; I the guys are too macho for team lift.

That's why I was asking...catch 22! I know EIM practice for Worksafe, but as said above so much depends on the person & situation & even how packed out the boxes are at harvest. We've tried lift gates - naw, not suitable; I the guys are too macho for team lift.

I guess the easiest way is when honey harvesting make it a rule that you must lift a frame out per box... And just not bother checking it lol

I the guys are too macho for team lift.

Too macho = stupidity. Things catch up with you. I've been a builder for over 40 years, I've had a wimp's attitude toward lifting since day 1, and my reward is a back that's as good as new.

@Shaun Do you make your own jumbo frames & boxes or are they available commercially?

Jumbo boxes and frames are available commercially, NZ Beeswax sell them.

I however now make my own from scratch.

• Like 1

try and run the same as your brood boxes.

this makes things a whole lot less complicated.

commercially i see beeks running 3/4 supers and those running FD. 3/4 can cost more and cost more for extraction but a lot easier to handle.

those who are more mechanized (ie use lifters) use FD only.

for a small commercial operation i would get rid of your FD brood boxes and go 3/4 only.

Would you still go double 3/4 brood box?

Would you still go double 3/4 brood box?

yes, and i do.

I prefer to use the metal wood surround excluders which do you prefer

big wire metal with wood surrounds.

new Olympic sport, how far can beekeepers throw a plastic excluder :cool:

We run full depth for everything ..... I think it makes life easier when you want to swap a rough box over, or make a top up on a strong hive, or do two queening. There's always have a plentiful supply of new brood combs, and more importantly, the hired hands don't have to think too much.

Full depths are heavy.

They are also considerably cheaper.

Are full depth ever going to be illegal? Not likely.

But if someone had an injury would you be in trouble? Probably.

The way I see it beekeeping is hard physical work, the best way to minimise the chance of hurting yourself is to keep fit and don't try to go too hard or do anything stupid. Lift close to your body.

A 3/4 box of honey is still heavy and you can still hurt yourself.

I like full depth boxes. They stop me getting too fat now I've hit 25 :rofl:

• Like 2

25 ..... youz just a spring chicken girl !

If the high returns continue I anticipate easy loaders or similar becoming the industry standard. Simply because of Worksafe and their attitude toward employers....

If I was an employer it might be different.

That's ok I'll be still back in the dark ages lifting mine so I don't get fat haha when I can't lift anymore I'll change tact and either go to 3/4 or get a lifter.. I feel like lifters come with beer bellys - like they throw one in with the deal:p

• Like 1

It will depend on how Worksafe handle the situation... If they start issuing big fines for back injuries they may make rules to force it... You may need to find another way to keep the beer belly away ;)

I feel like lifters come with beer bellys - like they throw one in with the deal:p

to true :(

over the last few years i don't lift anything remotely close to what i used to and have put on a ton of weight.

normally i end up rather skinny over summer, but with staff doing the lifting that weight loss hasn't happened.

Can I just get the logic of this clear:

* if I lift heavy boxes then I get nice and thin, but the risk of a back injury is high, and my back will never be the same again

* its OK if I make my staff do this because it's not my back that gets injured

Or watching what you eat and drink may have a good effect without side effects, as is safer exercise with 3/4 boxes.

:bee:

• Like 1