Carlton

NZBF Top feeder...to exclude or not...

Hi

A novice question from a novice.

I am about to put a top feeder on a single Fd brood box.

Should I remove the queen excluder or leave it in place? Ie Will workers feed the queen?

Thanks

C

If you intend to leave the feeder on for any length of time I Would leave the excluder on.

Our first year using top feeders we left excluders off and ended up with comb and queens in the feeder.

What a mess.

same as fraz. without the excluder you risk getting the queen in the feeder and then trapping her up when you put the excluder back on.

I have always been advised to leave the Queen excluder on as the bees will apparently always take food to their queen.

I have always been advised to leave the Queen excluder on as the bees will apparently always take food to their queen.

bees will always feed and take care of the queen.

even if you starve a hive the queen is typically the last to die.

Interesting, I've been advised that an excluder can get clogged with debris and become a barrier as it goes relatively untended over winter. The remainder of the year it's fine because you tend the hive much more. Is this fair advise?

Interesting, I've been advised that an excluder can get clogged with debris and become a barrier as it goes relatively untended over winter. The remainder of the year it's fine because you tend the hive much more. Is this fair advise?

no.

never seen an excluder clogged with debris unless the hive is dead.

the only issue is with heavy feeding they can wax up the excluder a fair bit. doesn't effect them as they leave enough space.

just means a bit more cleaning you have to do come spring.