Do you know what this is?

Going back to the OP, this reply received from MPI today:

We have had the molecular results come back as Anthidium manicatum(Hymenoptera: Megachilidae), which confirms our suspicion from the morphological ID.

Would appreciate getting any more you find, for our collection.

This translates as pupa of the wool carder bee. In this case not associated with any wool in the hive and no adults present, both of which would have aided the original ID.

Please note the request for more samples for the MPI/Landcare research reference collection, if you come across them at any point, please send them in.

MPI reference collection

231 Morrin Road St Johns Auckland 1072

With contact details of submitter included.

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Molecular results ! I wonder what that cost ? I'm not saying it's a bad thing to find out.

My understanding is it is a lot faster and cheaper these days than it used to be - and gives a definite answer - as you say, not a bad thing.

Going back to the OP, this reply received from MPI today:

We have had the molecular results come back as Anthidium manicatum(Hymenoptera: Megachilidae), which confirms our suspicion from the morphological ID.

Would appreciate getting any more you find, for our collection.

This translates as pupa of the wool carder bee. In this case not associated with any wool in the hive and no adults present, both of which would have aided the original ID.

Please note the request for more samples for the MPI/Landcare research reference collection, if you come across them at any point, please send them in.

MPI reference collection

231 Morrin Road St Johns Auckland 1072

With contact details of submitter included.

Thanks

Would you mind pm'ing me your emsil to pass on to an ecology student I know that was asking me about woolcarder bees and behives?