Do you know what this is?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, thanks for all the comments. I had a look online and to be honest, what I saw doesn't look quite right for a cockroach ootheca. I've since sent the same photo to a mate who is an entomologist and his initial reaction was the same, so now wants me to go and find some samples for him.

So watch this space :)

I had some of these in one of my hives too. Also don't think they are cockroach egg cases, different shape. My first reaction was that they looked like berries. I was in a hurry at the time and didn't grab any to put under the scope. Please let us know what your mate says, I would be most interested.

Seek expert help.

I wonder why folk rely on websites and Google when we have excellent tax payer owned resources to assist us.

Seven days have gone since you posted the photo....if it was a biosecurity risk it could have started to spread by now.

Why do good folk stuff around, when a definite answer can be obtained much more quickly.

Then share the results on this informative website.

Expert identification is available from two very good sources;

1) Landcare Research - info@landcareresearch.co.nz Just send them the photo.

2) MPI Biosecurity - info@mpi.govt.nz or phone 0800 80 99 66

Remember it is your observations and actions that will ensure prompt response for a biosecurity risk.

Debate is great but unnecessary delay in deciding what it is not acceptable.

We should be all be encouraging prompt reporting of the unknown...and let us know the official results.

Our bees future is dependent on our vigilance and prompt action.

Seek expert help.

I wonder why folk rely on websites and Google when we have excellent tax payer owned resources to assist us.

Seven days have gone since you posted the photo....if it was a biosecurity risk it could have started to spread by now.

Why do good folk stuff around, when a definite answer can be obtained much more quickly.

Then share the results on this informative website.

Take a breath and relax @Don Mac

The mate I've mentioned above works for MPI bio security, I involved him early on once I didn't get a definitive answer, samples have been secured and sent to Auckland.

Regards posting it here, not sure I agree with you entirely. I would have thought posting information and having immediate access to a large number of people with a range of skills is rather the point of the Internet.

If I sent photos/samples to MPI every time I saw an insect, animal or plant I don't recognise, it would be all I do. It makes more sense to ask around and then involve them if the organism in question seems a little odd.

The contact details you've listed are great - maybe if those 2 organisations engaged with the internet world and caught up with the rest of us, I would be able to post the photos straight to them so they could review them. Food for thought.

• Like 2
I had not heard of NatureWatch NZ · A Community for Naturalists until today, when I heard a lady from DOC recommending it on the radio. It looks good and she said there are all sorts of scientists monitoring it and keen to identify things.

It seems they are keen at the moment for sightings of a pest ladybird that is in Auckland eating willow aphids.

Yup, I got an email alert about it via KHV a few weeks ago.... Slightly scary how many pests are making it in ATM...

. Slightly scary how many pests are making it in ATM...

you only have to look at the latest problem of velvet leaf being imported with beet seed to see that MPI need to up their game.

How can it be ok to allow seed imports relying on the exporting country to vouch the consignment is weed free?

When you see all the ridiculous rules and regulations around RMPs and exporting of our honey its a shame they aren't as pedantic about whats being imported.

But hey it wont be long and we will all be parting with our hard earned money when we join in a GIA, what will that get us? Apparently it gets a seat at the table to have our say....yeah right.

• Like 1
Take a breath and relax @Don Mac

The mate I've mentioned above works for MPI bio security, I involved him early on once I didn't get a definitive answer, samples have been secured and sent to Auckland.

Pinnacle, all you had to state in your original post - "I have reported it to MPI Biosecurity and had no definite answer to date'.

Beekeepers are a reluctant bunch of folk in making timely reports of incidents and observations. We should all be much more vigilant and more responsible in reporting what we do not know.

Pinnacle, all you had to state in your original post - "I have reported it to MPI Biosecurity and had no definite answer to date'.

and unless the authorities tidy up there act things would be spreading far too long before being detected anyway.