When I started multi floral was worth $5-6 per kg.

Manuka was about $10-15 maybe 30 for the ultra good stuff.

When I started multi was $2 kg and manuka was worthless!!

• Like 1

When I started multi was $2 kg and manuka was worthless!!

You must be really really old.....

You must be really really old.....

No, just very young when I started!! Lol

• Like 3

OK .... way back when, when I started and needed to buy aGerman made mercator pocket knife I needed a kilo of honey, and that was at about $2.40/kg. I haven't lost a pocket knife for a while, but to replace it today I would need about 4 kilos honey - clover. So in theory, just to stay treading water in todays world I need to have four times the amount of hives I had when I started with a ute, a single bay garage and an armstrong forklift. Sometimes it don't pay to look back.

• Like 1

OK .... way back when, when I started and needed to buy aGerman made mercator pocket knife I needed a kilo of honey, and that was at about $2.40/kg. I haven't lost a pocket knife for a while, but to replace it today I would need about 4 kilos honey - clover. So in theory, just to stay treading water in todays world I need to have four times the amount of hives I had when I started with a ute, a single bay garage and an armstrong forklift. Sometimes it don't pay to look back.

For some reason I had always pictured you as in your late 20s

I read that the average age for farmers ,sheep and beef, was mid fifties and for dairy farmers early forties.

I wonder what it is for commercial bee keepers

For some reason I had always pictured you as in your late 20s

I read that the average age for farmers ,sheep and beef, was mid fifties and for dairy farmers early forties.

I wonder what it is for commercial bee keepers

Older. Most of them would be 50's at least I'd say, and most of their workers are late 20's & 30's.

I've come to the realisation that age really is just a number, it's very hard to tell how old people are, and older people aren't necessarily wiser, stupid people get old too :lol:rofl:

I like your way of putting it @jamesc my dad says similar about how a pair of boots would cost him a weeks wages back in the day except if I were to buy a pair of boots now it would be about $250 which is a little over half a weeks wages on minimum wage, depends how you look at it.

• Like 1

I think we will sell in bulk to Australia and they can mix it with their jelly bush put an active label on it and call it Manuka

what.. and waste our good jelly bush honey?

Nah we'd buy 'honey' in bulk from china, mix it with a little bit of Manuka from nz and then export it back to China labelled as "agtive Manozka huney".

Simplez!

• Like 1

Older. Most of them would be 50's at least I'd say, and most of their workers are late 20's & 30's.

I've come to the realisation that age really is just a number, it's very hard to tell how old people are, and older people aren't necessarily wiser, stupid people get old too :lol:rofl:

I like your way of putting it @jamesc my dad says similar about how a pair of boots would cost him a weeks wages back in the day except if I were to buy a pair of boots now it would be about $250 which is a little over half a weeks wages on minimum wage, depends how you look at it.

Yeah Nah ... I'm just getting stupid ... anyway .... gonna start a new post in reply to john berry re price fixing as i think this needs some discussion.

Hey there oh wind blown one .... I started a family later in life and they keep me young. I don't think too much about age except when my young'un tells me that in eight years time he will be sixteen and i do the maths and work out I may well be underground !! As a family we've buried some good mates this year an it just makes me appreciate the howling nor'west , the early morning sun and the chill as we unload bees in the High Country, or watching my eldest boy slide the back end of my brand new truck into a strainer post and rip the back lights off !

What is age .... a passing of the years, a wisdom gathered from success and failure , a life run on the edge with loving, risk and adventure, a cellphone full of 022's of new and old friends met on the way.

I 'aint 20 something anymore ... closer to sixty something ... drink too much, green tea an stronger an get a buzz every time I open a beehive to see whats been going on.

What is age ? We are who we are , the good,the bad and the ugly, but we just get on and do it. We move on with an eye to the past but focused on the future til we can no longer see and the life support gets turned off.

Crikey, You sound like you are reading from a Dale Carnegie book of favourite quotes!:D

• Like 1

He's been watching Kung Fu of an evening.

Well there ya go .... it's official... school holidays and the disney channel give rise to creativity

• Like 2

So... 10 tonne of "very white" clover (pfund 8-18) in the drums... what's it worth?

Second that .... price please for clover of a 20 colour, new drums etc etc. Also Kamahi and Honey dew available, limited quantities so be in quick to secure your supply. Sorry. no Manuka this year:D

I am just passing on the message here.

Arataki honey Havelock North is currently buying honey especially clover.

• Like 3

I am just passing on the message here.

Arataki honey Havelock North is currently buying honey especially clover.

And they have a nice shiny new area to unload your honey ;-)

gee sometimes I wish i could sell mine... ah well, lots of kudos from neighbours and friends is always a good thing

If I make a loss this year, does that mean I get my boots for free:rofl:

But the boots would last for years and were repairable if anything went wrong.

havnt seen any honey prices yet. i will start the ball rolling i had 70 hives ended up with 480kg of of 5plus umf and 490kg manuka blend. the buyer extracts my honey and buys good people and im happy. the price for 5plus 25kg and manuka blend 15

yet to get price on my honey from the flats .but that price to me is good. i could of held onto it for a year but need the money to carry on varroa strips more feeder queens etc..... beer

• Like 1

havnt seen any honey prices yet. i will start the ball rolling i had 70 hives ended up with 480kg of of 5plus umf and 490kg manuka blend. the buyer extracts my honey and buys good people and im happy. the price for 5plus 25kg and manuka blend 15

yet to get price on my honey from the flats .but that price to me is good. i could of held onto it for a year but need the money to carry on varroa strips more feeder queens etc..... beer

970kgs from 70 boxes.

How heavy was each box before extraction ?

How many frames of honey in each box?

970kgs from 70 boxes.

How heavy was each box before extraction ?

How many frames of honey in each box?

70 hives not boxes total of 56 boxes went to extraction plant

70 hives not boxes total of 56 boxes went to extraction plant

and i thought last season was a hard one

So, with all the above you have told us exactly nothing about the price of honey. Join the club with the poor harvest.