Alastair

Cost of sugar

Looks a good set up @Alastair ! Can you manage to do 2:1 this way? Do you find you get mostly all the sugar dissolving?

The water temp would be starting out around the 60 deg mark?

The water temperature I've been working with starts out at lower than 60, and I have not quite been able to hit 2-1, almost though. The pump gives the mix a good thrashing but by the time the sugar goes in the mix is near cold. However now I'm going to be using an immersion heater and hope to get the water quite a bit hotter which ought to do it. I've got a one thousand watt immersion heater but the good folks here calculated that will not be enough so I'll just get another couple of them or maybe a more powerful one if such a thing exists.

What are the issues with feeding raw sugar to bees.

I read somewhere that it was ok

Do you just put it in a top feeder.

We use dry raw sugar in a top feeder.

Its not for use in a hungry hive its more for use in areas we dont get to regularly over winter.

late winter early spring hives can get light on stores the raw will keep them ticking over.

Raw sugar doesn't go hard like white sugar does.

• Like 2

The water temperature I've been working with starts out at lower than 60, and I have not quite been able to hit 2-1, almost though.

Is there a reason why you would not wind up the thermostat to its max a few hours before needing the hot water. The water temp will drop once it start mixing.

I'm so happy I buy it made now, looking at all this. pull in fill up gone.

• Like 1

What is so complex?

The pump?

Don't you need one anyway?

Yes still need a pump in fact we need two, we need all hoses and fittings and we even still use our heating vat to warm up syrup before we go out and feed, but its simple system, pump liquid into warming vat, warm up, 1000ltrs to 40 deg about half an hour, then pump to truck, job done.

We rewarm just to make it pump quicker and I like idea of warm syrup going in hives, and I will get sparky in soon to set our warm vat to just sit at that temp we then don't have to worry about it, we'll always have sugar at the ready.

For us it would take nearly half a day to make up 1000ltrs, mucking around with pouring bags in at intervals, then cleaning up lots of packaging to dispose of, the odd mishap, sugar granules every where even though we had a good system, l would not go back to that unless the price changed dramatically.

• Like 1

1/2 a day to tip in 25 bags? Plus mishaps, spills, and cleanups, Wow!

Well if it was somehow that complicated for you I can see why you feel better off paying an extra nearly $400 to have someone else do it for you.

Hey if I was closer, I could come and do it for you and give me the money LOL. :D

I do agree about the bag disposal being a pain though. What I do is throw them in a pile and burn them. Takes, I dunno, 10 minutes?

I put the paper bags out in the (free) recycling!

1/2 a day to tip in 25 bags? Plus mishaps, spills, and cleanups, Wow!

Well if it was somehow that complicated for you I can see why you feel better off paying an extra nearly $400 to have someone else do it for you.

Hey if I was closer, I could come and do it for you and give me the money LOL. :D

I do agree about the bag disposal being a pain though. What I do is throw them in a pile and burn them. Takes, I dunno, 10 minutes?

Of you were starting from cold water I can easily see half a day to make 1000l of syrup.

If you want to stand there watching it warm up. But what about turning the heat on the required amount of time prior, how much time would that waste?

Either way, Tony says he is heating it up so where's the difference.

What should be factored in is that if someone is paying $370 more to buy it mixed, they have to do enough other work to earn that $370. Is that other work being factored in as well to the work involved in buying it pre mixed?

If you want to stand there watching it warm up. But what about turning the heat on the required amount of time prior, how much time would that waste?

While it is true that other things could be done in the slack time to make it more productive, if the main job of the day is feeding....

Well beekeeping involves many and varied tasks and those who survive in the industry become time efficient (mostly). Nobody is going to say well the main job today is feeding so instead of turning the water heater on last night, I'm going to turn it on today and sit there watching while it warms up.

Lol you guys crack me up, I don't sit there watching it what I was saying is it takes half a day to do a complete mix including heating the water to 90 deg for invert, 1000ltrs does not last long especially though pollination its almost a daily job making sugar, now I don't make sugar we just feed it, It defiantly saves us time. Because we buy in bulk I can assure you the difference is way less than $400.

• Like 1

I geuss it all comes down to scale of economy

I geuss it all comes down to scale of economy

Plus weather conditions and hive/human ratios....

I worked it out that it costs me around 1 dollar per l to buy pre mix and around 70c per l To mix excluding time. I am fairy sure I could mix 1000L in a day, and I would rather have the $300 in my pocket. That may change in time tho.

We're so you purchase your feed from and do you add any supplements to the feed? Cheers

Same here. Msugar, 25 kg bags , sourced from Thailand, which surprised me. I just add it to hot water

@Kiwifruiter you mention it costs you around $0.70c to mix it yourself and $1 pre-mixed. Is that right? When I called msugar I was told they only provided 67 brix and an IBC I think was about $1,300 to $1,400.

I buy 25kg bags (from Gilmours) for about $28+GST at the moment, tip them into cold water in the IBC, and then recycle the water through the pump which mixes it......To make 400l with 200kg takes about five minutes.

Seem to be spending a small fortune on sugar at the moment, so keen on better priced suppliers.

Neither, not properly. I would say not possible, and especially in five minutes but hey my cold water might be different?

1:1 in cold water is fine, 5 mins, but no not 67 brix with cold water.

I'm still wondering where the $0.70 / l sugar syrup comes from?

1:1 in cold water is fine, 5 mins, but no not 67 brix with cold water.

I'm still wondering where the $0.70 / l sugar syrup comes from?

Simple... That's how much it costed me to mix one L of syrup.....

We get ours from Msugar, price has just gone up to $1060 a tonne.

We mix 6 bags per 100 litres of cold water.