Alastair

Cost of sugar

how are you mixing your syrup?

wouldn't the syrup bake onto the element?

It hasn't done on my 30l prototype... So mabe not?

The cost of the power to heat the water or the cost of a couple litre of petrol to run the pump a bit long

We don't heat our water when we mix sugar I try it one day to use hot water by the time you add the sugar the water cold

We fill the fuel tank a 2 inch pump and start mixing when the fuel run out it mixed

We check the syrup with a refactor meter to see if it mixe ok

• Like 2

What did it check out on the refractometer?

how are you mixing your syrup?

wouldn't the syrup bake onto the element?

The sugar doesn't cook to the elements in our ~1800 l mixing tank and we heat it a lot hotter than would be needed just for mixing (used for inverting). Our tank is an insulated vat in an insulated 20 ft shipping container.

The sugar doesn't cook to the elements in our ~1800 l mixing tank and we heat it a lot hotter than would be needed just for mixing (used for inverting). Our tank is an insulated vat in an insulated 20 ft shipping container.

Do you use circulation pumps/mixers etc?

Do you use circulation pumps/mixers etc?

It has a small, propeller sized and shaped, mixer in it that we can run on a timer or all the time.

It was a handy tank when we were smaller as we can either set a 'heat and turn off at xx deg' or 'heat and hold at xx deg'. The second option was great for heating sugar to ~40 deg for spring feeding but we go through way too much now - although the queen unit still use it.

The cost of the power to heat the water or the cost of a couple litre of petrol to run the pump a bit long

We don't heat our water when we mix sugar I try it one day to use hot water by the time you add the sugar the water cold

We fill the fuel tank a 2 inch pump and start mixing when the fuel run out it mixed

We check the syrup with a refactor meter to see if it mixe ok

Hi Chris , what make is your pump , currently looking for a reliable 2" unit . Cheers

Wait for the field days specials, we got 3 honda pumps last winter for not much more that the 'knock off' types

• Like 1

Re that, I was surprised to walk into a shop the other day and see a 2 inch Honda pump which is the exact spitting image of my knock off trash pump. Right down to every little detail.

I am pretty sure the knock off must be getting made in the same factory and also suspect all the parts would be interchangeable. I have been very happy with my knock off it purrs like a cat. Only question if it's an exact copy, some of these knock offs use lower grade materials and that cannot be spotted by eye. However it's going fine for now.

The Honda was around $1600, and my knock off was mid $300's. I only have a small number of hives and have fed around 5 tons of syrup this autumn which is a pittance compared to the big guys so hopefully my knock off will give me a few years.

I looked at the same pump yesterday Alko 2 inch 4.1kw just a tad under $400 with a hose, you cant go too wrong with that, 4 pumps for the price of a Honda!

• Like 1

I certainly didn't pay that much for the honda's, I would be interested to know where is selling at that price

RD1 Albany.

How much the ones you saw?

save barn just under $400 and alko is a Honda clone, I'm gonna grab one

save barn just under $400 and alko is a Honda clone, I'm gonna grab one

They seem good , know 2 people with them

$650 Honda 2" Water Pump WB20XT Honda 2" Water Pump WB20XT

or $600 from stihl shop Water Pumps - WB20XT3DRXU Water Pump - StihlShop

OK I don't want to put any misleading information out there so looks like the price of this pump is $650 not the $1600 I quoted.

So when I was at RD1 they either put a 1 in the wrong place or I imagined it.

Can I ask why go 2inch pump seems like overkill. Have used the smaller Honda pumps for mixing CMA (its a deicer)used to mix up 1000 lit before we had the 5000 lit tank mixes well and that stuff is thicker and harder to mix. I was thinking about making up one the same smaller hoses and valves all ad up to a lot more bee gear .

When I bought mine to get the power I wanted I had to go 2 inch. I've left the inlet at 2 inch but there is a reducer on the outlet to a 1 inch hose, was simple enough to do. It's a snap on connection so I can snap on a short 2 inch outlet hose also to get plenty of throughput for mixing.

When I bought mine to get the power I wanted I had to go 2 inch. I've left the inlet at 2 inch but there is a reducer on the outlet to a 1 inch hose, was simple enough to do. It's a snap on connection so I can snap on a short 2 inch outlet hose also to get plenty of throughput for mixing.

Could you post a photo of how you set it up ?

We used to feed dry raw sugar many years ago and believe me that really is a last resort..

What are the issues with feeding raw sugar to bees.

I read somewhere that it was ok

Do you just put it in a top feeder.

I have a mixing tank here on the farm and a pump that i user for mixing fert/nitrogen from time to time so i may try save some money and do this myself. the biggest benefits for me i can see other than the cost savings that i can see are.....

I think i have the kit

I don't have to store IBC's of syrup through the summer like i did this year and worry about spoilage/sludge

cost saving

So can some wiser heads please make sure i have this straight, as there seems to be two different theories hot water/cold water

If i want to mix a heavy syrup solution can i do this with cold water ? it doesn't bother me how long the mixer pump circulates the sugar to me, my concern would be the sugar ending up as a solid mountain on the bottom of the tank and the pump circulating - not much.....

If i buy a ton of sugar and mix this with 500L of water - is this heavy syrup above the 65brix mark and wont spoil? (i can't find the online calculator that someone has shown in the thread)

If it needs hot water then for me i think it could be a waste of time - other than a fire under a s/s vat.

thoughts please

Could you post a photo of how you set it up ?

The first photo shows the 2 inch inlet pipe connected to the pump from the tank plus the outlet connected via a reducer to a 1 inch ID hose. The second pic shows the snap on fitting uncoupled, so the other 2 inch pipe which has it's own snap on fitting, can be snapped on to the outlet for feeding back into the tank and allowing plenty of throughput for mixing.

What I have done up to this point is fill the tank 1/3rd full from the hot water cylinder (which totally drains the cylinder and ends up with lukewarm water in the tank). Then set the return hose into the tank, turn on the pump and start dumping sugar in. If any sugar starts building up in corners I can point the return hose right at it and blast it into suspension.

My own preference is to also put in 1% vinegar after the sugar is dissolved. Mix will last several months without going off.

IMG_0900_zpsq88ktwye.jpg

IMG_0902_zpsbohuuxp5.jpg

Is honey really worth more than all this bother ?

• Like 1

At this time yes, quite a lot more. Most of my hives were leased to another commercial beekeeper this year and I saw how things are done with manuka honey now a days. At the beginning of the season the bees were jammed down into one broodbox with an excluder on it, so that come harvest all honey could be taken off the hives including the secong super. Some of the hives had nothing in the bottom box and all other honey was taken. Hence I have had to feed so much sugar and still got plenty more feeding to do.

Financially it makes sense though. Let's say the second box that gets taken off yeilds 20 kg's honey and fetches $20 a kg, that's $400. It will only cost a fraction of that to feed the bees enough sugar to go through the winter, so that I guess is why it is being done, there's big bucks in it.

When I started in bees, honey was cheap and sugar was expensive. So the bees were wintered mostly on honey. Sugar was fed but only to some hives that did not have quite enough honey. Now, sugar is cheap and honey is worth mega bucks. I have seen some pretty shonky beekeeping and my feeling is that if some beekeepers did not strip every last drop of honey out of a hive and replace with sugar, they probably would not actually get much honey.

Although I felt my hives were raped and pillaged to a certain extent, taking bees through winter on sugar does not appear to do them any harm. Even though some say it does, there is no actual evidence to base that opinion on.

• Like 2