I hope reprinting this Press Release is OK. It came through with my emails this morning.

Press release

6 May 2016

Save the bees roadshow comes North

A roadshow through the North this month will promote a Bill to ban bee-killing neonicotinoids and the use of Round Up in public parks.

Green MP Steffan Browning will speak in four Northland centres to promote his Bill to get glyphosate-based herbicides such as Roundup out of parks.

“There are many toxic effects and yet glyphosate is still used in streets, schools and parks where our children play,” he says.

He said bee populations have been hit hard by a variety of threats, incl uding varroa mite and neonicotinoid poisons.

“Neonicotinoids should be taken off our shelves and out of our environment to help bee populations recover.”

The tour beginsin Kaitaia on May 17 at Te Ahu Centre at 7pm, then on May 18 in Kerikeri at 7pm at Kingston House, Hone Heke Rd.

He will speak in Whangarei on May 19 at 12 noon at 116 Bank St, and in Dargaville the same day at

7.00 pm at the Wesley Methodist Church, Cnr Normanby/Awakino Road.

There are petitions on the subject on the Green Party website: http: //action.greens.org.nz/bees and Glyphosate petition.

For more information on the public meeting, contact timothy.onnes@parliament.govt.nz , 04 817 6717

Authorised by Gwen Shaw, 17 Garrett St, Wellington.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's in the combo, Grant. nuc all insects with the nic and then the weeds with round up and only monsanto"s gen manupulated crop still stands. isn't it great? brave new world! yeah!

Most people mix at twice the necessary dilution rate and apply dilute at 5 times the necessary rate and if it isnt scorched earth after 2 days they re-apply. When spraying you only need to make the t

Maby you should look at doing a vid about weed/grass control around hives @Trevor Gillbanks

"to help bee populations recover" Hive numbers are up massively in the last decade, last five years, last year or so...and so you could presume bee numbers are too. And re neonics causing problems that is unclear. This is just classic green orientated politiking based upon non existent evidence. Where they are onto something is climate change - look at April, May... 2016.

NeoNics have been around for 35 years, why is it only an issue now? I also can believe issues with roundup, In my first year using chemical weed control I sprayed roundup over the bees (thought I knew more than I did) and all the queens went off the lay.. I still use roundup around hives but havnt had issues since...

This is just classic green orientated politiking based upon non existent evidence.

Yeah, they should forget saving the bees. They haven't sorted dihydrogen monoxide yet. It's everywhere. Killing people and bees. The Greens raised it in Parliament then did nothing :cautious:

one thing is sure, the use of round up is insane.

don't know if it harms bees. the wetting agent seems to be the main problem with insects.

what is shocking is the mass spraying of forestry blocks, dairy farms, road sides,

even right up to waterways or even into it.

potato crops, carrots and wheat and who knows what else is sprayed before harvest to make the harvest easy.

it makes me sick to think of it.:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:it's criminal cos most people don't even know that is happening to their food.

You're right @tom sayn - however what is the alternative to using it with caution. We don't use glyphosate around stuff we are going to eat, but here in the Far North we have nothing else to control the rampant kikuyu grass. If left unchecked it will climb all over a 7 wire fence, up through hedges and smother everything else. In days gone by we used to use the quick knockdown action of Preeglone (mix of Paraquat and Diquat ?) but that was pulled from the market, and quite rightly so. Our house lawns are about 80% kikuyu and in summer need mowing about every 5 days. If unchecked the lawn tendrils quickly creep into the gardens and beyond. Yesterday I saw that the lawn edges along the concrete path were dying and assumed that my wife had sprayed them with Glyphosate - but no - she told me she had tried 100% white vinegar. Unfortunately that won't kill to the roots and with Glyphosate mixed with water costing 5 cents per litre in the spray tank, the vinegar isn't in the ball park on cost. It's not a perfect world, so what's the answer?

@Kiwimana, happy for you to disagree, but what do you disagree with - that hive numbers are massively in the last five years? or that evidence on neonics is unclear? or just a straight philosophical disagreement based upon emotion?

Hey, >>that neonics are causing problems<<

I have seen lots of studies and talked to beekeepers near mono crops covered with them. They are causing issues for beekeepers, maybe not yet in New Zealand. But in the US there are causing huge issues.

The issue is the cumulative effect the have in the environment, with some of them lasting for years in soil and waterways. So maybe the future will bring mass bee die off's here. I hope this never happens here.

Hey, >>that neonics are causing problems<<

I have seen lots of studies and talked to beekeepers near mono crops covered with them. They are causing issues for beekeepers, maybe not yet in New Zealand. But in the US there are causing huge issues.

The issue is the cumulative effect the have in the environment, with some of them lasting for years in soil and waterways. So maybe the future will bring mass bee die off's here. I hope this never happens here.

I think the monoculture is as much if not more so to blame than the NeoNics.

toxic algae in lakes have been linked to fertiliser run off. That has taken years to become apparent / proven, but nobody did it intentionally. In the initial stages when problems first arose, I think there was a lot of doubt about it. A lot of people didn't really want to hear it. It is more than 35 years since fertilisers were first used, but I think that time will tell that it is a similar story in five years from now.. both in terms of round up and in regards to mono cropping. The kiwifruit industry in particular seems to be in a production contest that is hell bent on poisoning the land for the sake of boosting production at every turn. Thus while I think that round up is bad, there are some worse things out there which would be banned if not for vested interests. When we eventually find out and it is all proven, we will conclude greed was blinding at a number of levels. Then we can create a new industry and consultants to fix the problem.

• Like 1

political grandstanding - oh of course for the good of the planet and people.

and regulation for regulation sake. i swear when agriculture all falls to bits and NZ goes down the gurgler and we're a third world country, the greens - and all the other pillocks spouting their unsubstantiated nonsense, will be running for cover, but they will still be whinging about something as they run off to their cave.

Don't get me wrong I'm a farmer and although the image is of contaminating #######s - i do (as do most other farmers) consider ourselves guardians, kaitiaki or however you want to put it. All the bull about every possible thing we put in our mouth, on our body, or on the land giving cancer,killing the land - you name it - is mostly just that - bullcrap.

I could guarantee i could work out the far north meetings avid audiences demographic, hell it'll be on all their facebook accounts the next day, and it will be spoken about in the strongest possible terms over a chai latte and soymilk flat white.

Hi cane is my favourite one to hate, but the spray notices come via phone message most of the message tapes are worn out so who knows what they are spraying most of the time.

Zespri VERY tightly control what can and cant be sprayed. Would you like a rundown?

• Like 1

I'd prefer to have farmers making their own decisions. Zespri have a vested interest and a very corporate slanted one at that. I'd be more inclined to trust that farmers are not going to poison their own land and/or bees. Shifting the blame to Zespri is convenient, but if in 35 years the evidence points that yet another mistake was made, unintentionally,who will pay to get it cleaned up? The taxpayer? Not Zespri that's for sure. All care and no responsibility.

So, to take an example, there is an awful lot of copper getting sprayed as I understand it. So, one question is how much copper has to be sprayed for how long before it will effectively make the orchard land toxic? Do you have to close an orchard and buy new land at a certain point to safeguard NZ or is the feeling that the land can withstand an infinite amount of copper being left in the soil? Does Zespri need to have any limits on the number of decades of production? Maybe I'm wrong, I guess spraying everything with copper once a year could be ok. But the cumulative effect of mono cropping and chemicals seems to be driven by the people selling it and benefiting from it. From the outside it is hard to understand if the checks and balances are reasonable or working so that farmers can still generate a living from the same land in years to come. Can you reassure me that kiwifruit land in te puke will be capable of growing kiwifruit and/or any other crops in 50 years from now? They've been growing tomatoes around Genoa for hundreds if not thousands of years, is our kiwifruit industry going to last the distance based on the chemical spray load being applied?