tudor

Fainting queen

Hmmm, opened the last three hives to settle down, and found an unmarked queen who is laying well.

Marked her with my usual technique, grasp by wings by fingers of right hand, immobilise her by the legs with fingers of left hand, mark carefully, when she just curled up and looked very dead - apart from her antennae twitching subtly. About a dozen bees clustered round her on my left hand, and after a couple of minutes she started moving, got back on her legs, and was quite prepared to get back on the comb and get started again. Checked a few minutes later and she looked fine.

I am glad I have heard about fainting before, or I could have had a more anxious few moments.

Any reason why she should faint ? Nice warm, sunny day, and usual water soluble marking pen, usual technique ?

Thanks.

Hmmm, opened the last three hives to settle down, and found an unmarked queen who is laying well.

Marked her with my usual technique, grasp by wings by fingers of right hand, immobilise her by the legs with fingers of left hand, mark carefully, when she just curled up and looked very dead - apart from her antennae twitching subtly. About a dozen bees clustered round her on my left hand, and after a couple of minutes she started moving, got back on her legs, and was quite prepared to get back on the comb and get started again. Checked a few minutes later and she looked fine.

I am glad I have heard about fainting before, or I could have had a more anxious few moments.

Any reason why she should faint ? Nice warm, sunny day, and usual water soluble marking pen, usual technique ?

Thanks.

It happens. Happened to me twice this season exactly as you described. Nervous disposition I think.

We have experienced this weird situation as well. Could be twice a year but not sure, the Queen always revives and does not seem to suffer from any ill effects. Just a freak of nature.

Thanks.

Cold fingers :rolleyes:;)...lol..

Nope, and warm heart ...

:)