Heike

Epipen saved my life last night

It makes sense, things have to be fairly bad before ya break it out, and that point there isnt much to lose....

This is straight up the best comment I've read all night :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have a friend who had a bad reaction once, caught a jar full of bees, and drove to the hospital and gave himself lots of stings in the car park to make sure he wasn't suddenly allergic.

He wasn't.

I have also rushed someone to the hospital at breakneck speed in the middle of the night after they were stung on the neck.

It's very scary stuff.

We carry an epipen.

A lot of people who keep bees are allergic or their kids are, I think it depends why you keep bees.

I love my bees, if my numbers up it's not such a bad way to go.. but not before time.

I'm sad that you had a bad reaction, I think it would be a hard decision to make.

Just a few little things to add as a nurse and new beek.

An epipen will only last around 10min in a persons system. So make sure you take the 15-20 seconds to read the instructions and do it properly. There are far to many people who come into AnE who had the pen upside down or put it into the wrong place. I can't officially recommend this as its is old medication and past its expiry .... but .... If you have an old one keep it handy as you may need to use it if they start to react again before the ambulance arrives. Especially considering most hives are out in the countryside miles away from help.

And DO a CPR course!!!!!!!

I'm so glad there was a happy ending to this story!

I know I'm always ready with the biro to do an emergency tracheotomy, I saw it on tv once, I reckon I could pull it off.

In all seriousness though.

If you are beekeeping in remote locations you should also carry an eperb.

Epipens have increased in price by 700% in the USA. Mylan say they have no plans to increase the price here. Yet

Over what time period? I have seen many facebook posts along this line and I dont think the scare mongering is in the slightest bit helpful. The owners of epipen are releasing a generic option with the same active ingredient at around half the price... ($300 USD for a twin pack-Not that far off what we are paying here)

In a beekeeping environment to even suggest that a home administered epinephrine injection is as good as an epipen is (IMHO) a very VERY dangerous thing. Even if they were twice the price, still a cheep way to save a life.

Just a few little things to add as a nurse and new beek.

An epipen will only last around 10min in a persons system. So make sure you take the 15-20 seconds to read the instructions and do it properly. There are far to many people who come into AnE who had the pen upside down or put it into the wrong place. I can't officially recommend this as its is old medication and past its expiry .... but .... If you have an old one keep it handy as you may need to use it if they start to react again before the ambulance arrives. Especially considering most hives are out in the countryside miles away from help.

And DO a CPR course!!!!!!!

I'm so glad there was a happy ending to this story!

Yes very important, you use the epipen and always dial 111. It only lasts for a short period and there can commonly be a worsening after this

Over what time period? I have seen many facebook posts along this line and I dont think the scare mongering is in the slightest bit helpful. The owners of epipen are releasing a generic option with the same active ingredient at around half the price... ($300 USD for a twin pack-Not that far off what we are paying here)

In a beekeeping environment to even suggest that a home administered epinephrine injection is as good as an epipen is (IMHO) a very VERY dangerous thing. Even if they were twice the price, still a cheep way to save a life.

It's not dangerous if you know how to use it, indeed it is just the same, before and after epipens it has been used laypeople. But practice and being taught first is important. $150 American is almost twice the price for a generic automatic injector, so it is a doubling of the present price. Which is too much for many people, who will chose home adrenaline with training etc etc

It's not scare mongering to say the drug company has increased the price of epipens by 700%. We are a very small market and easily next

Yes very important, you use the epipen and always dial 111. It only lasts for a short period and there can commonly be a worsening after this

It's not dangerous if you know how to use it, indeed it is just the same, before and after epipens it has been used laypeople. But practice and being taught first is important. $150 American is almost twice the price for a generic automatic injector, so it is a doubling of the present price. Which is too much for many people, who will chose home adrenaline with training etc etc

It's not scare mongering to say the drug company has increased the price of epipens by 700%. We are a very small market and easily next

The price is irrelevant if you have to have one or you die isn't it.

My mum and my sister both wear glasses all the time, their prescriptions are very expensive, having to have new glasses is more expensive than buying half a dozen epipens.

A lot of things are expensive but if we need them we will just have to buy them anyway no matter the cost.

Realisticly if you keep bees and you are more than 10 minutes from a hospital you should have an epipen.

I don't carry my epipen for me, I carry it for other people, but I am aware I may one day need it myself.

• Like 2

We carry them as part of our health and safety plan. It's an extra cost, and annoying but view them in a similar way as the first aid kit and fire extinguishers in each vehicle.

More for members of the public than our workers mind you.

I know I'm always ready with the biro to do an emergency tracheotomy, I saw it on tv once, I reckon I could pull it off.

I can never remember if you have the wee knob in or or out

Just don't use the inky bit

Are you talking about the biro? :whistle:

• Like 1

I have heard the desensitisation programme works well.

I also saw

, from Michael Palmer, a while ago on the importance of getting stung. I don't get a lot of stings, and haven't been that keen to. But maybe I should.

Glad you are ok, thanks for sharing link to pharmacy, definitely need to look into getting this